Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: copying a large filesystem
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers copying a large filesystem Post 41635 by TioTony on Friday 10th of October 2003 12:23:35 AM
Old 10-10-2003
This is what I would do (not that the other recommendations wouldn't work).

1. Create a filesystem on the new disk, maybe call it newhome.
2. Make sure everyone is logged out and stop sharing the current home directory.
3. Use this tar command to copy everything:

tar cvfp - /export/home/* | (cd /newhome; tar xvfp - )

You may have to adjust the paths and may not want to use the 'v' option on the tar commands. I like the v so I can see the progress.

4. Share the newhome as /export/home.

I use this often when moving files between filesystems on the same system. We have 1 filesystem shared out as a home directory per group in combination with NIS. We often have people change groups which requires us to move their home directory to a different share. I just make sure they log out, rename their original home directory, move it with tar, update their passwd entry, push the changes, and they are ready to go.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive . what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me with the command and the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
0 Replies

2. Solaris

Copying the content of a filesystem to different Harddrive

my server runs solaris 10 , one of the partition in my primary harddrive is 99% full , i want to move the contents of it to the second harddrive which has higher capacity. what is the best way to move the contents to 2nd drive ? which command should i use cpio/dd/tar/ufsdump .... please guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skamal4u
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying large file problem on SVR4 Unix

We have 3 Unix servers all running SVR4 Unix 1.4. I have no problems copying files to and from 2 of the servers using either the rcp command or ftp but when i come to transfer large files to the third server the copy gives up part way through and crashes this server. Copying smaller files using RCP... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: coatesd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of large files fail

Hi, I have a process which duplicates files for different environments. As the files arrive, my script (korn shell) makes copies of them (giving a unique name) and then renames the original file so that my process won't get triggered again. I don't like it either, but it's what we were told to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenEye4ever
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Large File

I have a large file that I append entries to the end of every few seconds. Its grown to >150MB. Its basically a log file but a perl script is writing to it. I need to make a copy of it to a new directory. I realize the latest entries occuring while the copy is taking place will not be recorded... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lforum
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying files to a remote NFS filesystem

Hi guys Maybe a stupid question.. IS possible, in unix, to copy files to a remote NFS shared filesystem without mounting it? Just like windows does: copy * \\folderA\folderB Thanks.. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start copying large file while its still being restored from tape

Hello, I need to copy a 700GB tape-image file over a network. I want to start the copy process before the tape-image has finished being restored from the tape. The tape restore speed is about 78 Mbps and the file transfer speed over the network is about 45 Mbps I don't want to use a pipe, since... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamik
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find large files in root filesystem and exclude others

I am wondering if there is a way to search for top 10 files in size in root filesystem but exclude all other mounts including nfs mounts . For example excluded /var /boot /app /app1 /u01/ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying number by looking a large file

Hi All, I have a big file which looks like this: abc 34.32 cdf 343.45 computer 1.34 ladder 2.3422 I have some 100000 .TXT files which look like this: computer cdf align I have to open each of the text files and read the words from the text files. Then I have to look into that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying large files in a bash script stops execution

Hello, I'm new to this forum and like to first of all say hello to everyone. I've got a really annoying problem at the moment. I'm trying to rsync some files (about 200MB with one file of 120MB) from a Raspberry PI with raspbian to a debian server via rsync. This procedure is stored in a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wex_storm
3 Replies
root_archive(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  root_archive(1M)

NAME
root_archive - manage bootable miniroot archives SYNOPSIS
/boot/solaris/bin/root_archive pack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpack archive root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive packmedia solaris_image root /boot/solaris/bin/root_archive unpackmedia solaris_image root DESCRIPTION
The root_archive utility is used to manage bootable miniroot archives and is currently only available on x86 platforms. The utility can pack and unpack boot/root archives in both ufs and hsfs (iso9660) format. It will always generate ufs archives. root_archive also uses the lofi file driver to export a file as a block device (see lofi(7D)) and mount to mount or unmount file systems and remote resources (see mount(1M)). root_archive requires the same privileges that are needed to run these commands. SUBCOMMANDS
The root_archive command has the following subcommands: pack archive root Pack from the image found under the root directory to the archive. unpack archive root Unpack from the archive to an unpacked image under the root directory. packmedia solaris_image root Pack the solaris image to the root directory. unpackmedia solaris_image root Unpack the solaris image from the root directory. For packmedia and unpackmedia, other items that do not go into the ramdisk image are copied or uncopied (see cpio(1)) as well. Specifi- cally, this includes all the packaging databases needed for pkgadd and the other packaging utilities to succeed which are not used in the running and hence pruned to conserve memory. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Unpacking the Solaris x86 install image The following command unpacks the current Solaris image from the root directory: # root_archive unpackmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot Where /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest represents a path to a Solaris x86 install image and /export/Boot is a directory that will be purged or created, as necessary. Example 2 Packing the Solaris x86 install image The following command packs the current Solaris image to the root directory: # root_archive packmedia /export/nv/solarisdvd.nvx_dvd/latest /export/Boot EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. 1 The command exited due to an error. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), bootadm(1M), mount(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D) SunOS 5.11 26 Sep 2005 root_archive(1M)