Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers questions on ftp shell scripting Post 4155 by Randy on Thursday 19th of July 2001 01:57:43 PM
Old 07-19-2001
I know, it's weird. I always did ftp by hand, so the main thing that I was wondering was how to pass the username and password to the program. I also changed

"/usr/bin/ftp -ivn < [PATH_TO_FILE]/filename.ftp" to

"/usr/bin/ftp -ivn < [PATH_TO_FILE]/filename.ftp >logfile 2>&1 &"

so that I could get a log file with errors and output to check it later and run it in the background since I plan to shcedule it to run at certain inetrvals.

Anyway, thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Automate FTP / Scripting FTP Transfers

One of our most frequent questions is how to automate ftp transfers. There are several approaches. Since I'm writing this post, we will start with my favorite technique. :) In Automated FTP task I present a simple example of my ksh co-process technique. And note that later in this thread I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

few small scripting questions

hello everyone, i have a couple of questions about programming with shell scripts. -My question is, how do you find out how long a sequence of numbers that has just been entered is. for example If i enter 12345 the length here is 5 and 23456789 the length here is eight. I want to be able... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell/commands/scripting/c questions

1. Can anyone explain me what the line x=signal(SIGINT,nh); does? 2. How do I write a command to print the longest line in a file? 3. How do I write a command to print the last word of every line of a file using sed? 4. What exactly does this line do? :%s/^\(\)\(\)/\2\1/g^M... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Necrologist
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting - FTP

Can some one help with script to track ftp logins on AIX server.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ddk2oo5
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP-Shell scripting

Hi Everybody, I have come across a problem while doing FTP using shell scripting. So I request any of you can give some idea of how to go about solving the problem but i request you not to give the solution please. Because i'm a java developer newly into Unix shell progrmming and am very enthu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting questions

I have a file like this. Pls help me to solve this. 08-24-2010 10:22:34,xxxxxxxxMessage : 111 08-24-2010 10:24:38,xxxxxxxbMessage : 000 08-24-2010 11:28:11,xxxxxxxcMessage : 111 08-24-2010 11:32:35,xxxxxxxdMessage : 111 08-24-2010 11:32:35,xxxxxxxeMessage : 111 (I should look for Message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnjx
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Scripting questions

I have two scripts and wish to finish the labs in two days, I am not sure how to make these work though. Any help would be appreciated, a step by step guide would be great! Q1) Complete the following instructions and submit the questions and answers from this lab to your tutor. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobie123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Scripting for creating ftp and transfer file

Dear All, We run backup script to update backup file every hour. I want to create a script, which transfer these files in another server using ftp as new backup file created every hour. Files should be stored with a unique name for every hour(e.g 20130708_13:00 , 20130708_14:00 and so on) and... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti Saini
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting errors for ftp process

Hi i am facing problem in shell scripting for ftp process getting following errors here is the script & result vi GtpTxnlogs_ftp.sh "GtpTxnlogs_ftp.sh" 40 lines, 921 characters #!/usr/bin/bash ###################################################################################### #... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sarmistha
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP a file using Shell Scripting (Help needed)

the requirements is to have a linux script which connects to a windows machine using ftp command and check for a flag file if found copy a .csv file into current machine. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tradingspecial
3 Replies
PAM_FTP(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual							PAM_FTP(8)

NAME
pam_ftp - PAM module for anonymous access module SYNOPSIS
pam_ftp.so [debug] [ignore] [users=XXX,YYY,...] DESCRIPTION
pam_ftp is a PAM module which provides a pluggable anonymous ftp mode of access. This module intercepts the user's name and password. If the name is ftp or anonymous, the user's password is broken up at the @ delimiter into a PAM_RUSER and a PAM_RHOST part; these pam-items being set accordingly. The username (PAM_USER) is set to ftp. In this case the module succeeds. Alternatively, the module sets the PAM_AUTHTOK item with the entered password and fails. This module is not safe and easily spoofable. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. ignore Pay no attention to the email address of the user (if supplied). ftp=XXX,YYY,... Instead of ftp or anonymous, provide anonymous login to the comma separated list of users: XXX,YYY,.... Should the applicant enter one of these usernames the returned username is set to the first in the list: XXX. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_SUCCESS The authentication was successful. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
Add the following line to /etc/pam.d/ftpd to handle ftp style anonymous login: # # ftpd; add ftp-specifics. These lines enable anonymous ftp over # standard UN*X access (the listfile entry blocks access to # users listed in /etc/ftpusers) # auth sufficient pam_ftp.so auth required pam_unix.so use_first_pass auth required pam_listfile.so onerr=succeed item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_ftp was written by Andrew G. Morgan <morgan@kernel.org>. Linux-PAM Manual 06/04/2011 PAM_FTP(8)