Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers not script prompting but,............. Post 413 by Neo on Saturday 2nd of December 2000 09:06:01 PM
Old 12-02-2000
Arguments to shell scripts take the form $0, $1, $2, etc. where either $0 or $1 (forgot) is the name of the script and the next one is the next argument etc. so:

file hello.txt

$0 (or $1 ... you need to check) is "file"
$1 (or $2 ... you need to check) is "hello.txt"

Those shell variables are outlined in the shell books you own Astudent, if memory serves me tonight.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sftp prompting for password

I have the problem with SFTP; BELOW IS the entry from my ssh_config file It's prompting me for password all the time when using SFTP. pLEASE help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsravan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Script Prompting question

I saw this wonderful script in a previous post and modified it to work, my question is is there a way to enable a prompt at the GREP portion to allow me to enter what I wish to grep before hand? #!/bin/sh DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` HOME=/u/home/xxx/report LOG_DIR=/var/log/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NelsonC
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a script using su - without prompting password

hi guys, is there any way to run a script using su - without prompting a password? ex: su - $APPSUSERNAME/$APPSUSERPASSWORD stop_apps.sh my purpose here is to run a script with current dbuser. thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d3xt3r
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prompting for password

Hi, I have SVN installed in my UNIX solaris server. I actually automated the process that downloads code from SVN server to UNIX solaris server in script. When i run the script, its asking for password to download every element. Its really difficult to type password for every element when... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthangav
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SFTP prompting for password even though password is in script

Hi All, I am trying to transfer a file from one server to a remote server using SFTP. Client is not ready for key setup. I am working on Solaris 10. Here is the code. #!/bin/ksh # sample automatic Sftp script to dump a file USER="user1" PASSWORD="pass1" HOST="host1" sftp $USER@$HOST... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Script to get files from remote server to local server through sftp without prompting for password

Hi, I am trying to automate the process of fetching files from remote server to local server through sftp. I have the username and password for the remote solaris server. But I need to give password manually everytime i run the script. Can anyone help me in automating the script such that it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SFTP without prompting password

Dear unix experts, i have a requirement as below. i need to use SFTP as FTP. ftp -n -v << ENDFTP open test_ftp.server user ftp_user_name ftp_password quit ENDFTP if i use this in a shell script, it's not asking for password. But i want the similar thing achived using... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AraR87
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prompting user twice on the same line

Hi, I'm trying to prompt twice on the same line but can't make it so far. I can prompt only once per line. i.e. read -p "Enter the two digits of your sum: " NUM1; read -p "+" NUM2 the result of above is:Enter the two digits of your sum: 5 + 7 But I would like it to look something... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: violeta.barajas
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run sftp in shell script without prompting for password?

Hi, Can anyone tell me how to pass password in a shell script for sftp so that i can run it in background without user entering the password? I used a expect script but it timesout after some time and the process remains incomplete at the end. Can anyone suggest any other idea? Will the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab - password prompting

// Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.7 I wanted to pass the password, but when I execute this cron, it stops at Password: prompt. Please advise on how to fix the error. Thank you for tour help in advance. #!/usr/bin/ksh su - pmserver echo "su - pmserver" cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies
chsh(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   chsh(1)

NAME
chsh - change default login shell SYNOPSIS
login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] login-name [shell] DESCRIPTION
The command changes the login-shell for a user's login name in the repository (see passwd(1)). The DCE repository is only available if Integrated Login has been configured; see auth.adm(1M). If Integrated Login has been configured, other considerations apply. A user with appropriate DCE privileges is capable of modifying a user's shell; this is not dependent upon superuser privileges. If the repository is not specified (as in [login-name]), the login shell is changed in the file only. Run after running to make sure the information was processed correctly. Notes The command is a hard link to the command. When is executed, actually the command gets executed with appropriate arguments to change the user login shell in the repository specified in command line. If no repository is specified, the login shell is changed in the file. Arguments login-name A login name of a user. shell The absolute path name of a shell. If the file exists, the new login shell must be listed in that file. Otherwise, you can specify one of the standard shells listed in the getusershell(3C) manual entry. If shell is omitted, it defaults to the POSIX shell, Options The following option is recognized: Specify the repository to which the operation is to be applied. Supported repositories include and Security Restrictions You must have appropriate privileges to use the optional login-name argument to change another user's login shell. NETWORKING FEATURES
NFS File can be implemented as a Network Information Service (NIS) database. EXAMPLES
To change the login shell for user to the default: To change the login shell for user to the C shell: To change the login shell for user to the Korn shell in the DCE registry: WARNINGS
If two or more users try to write the file at the same time, a passwd locking mechanism was devised. If this locking fails after subse- quent retrying, terminates. AUTHOR
was developed by HP and the University of California, Berkeley. FILES
SEE ALSO
chfn(1), csh(1), ksh(1), passwd(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), getusershell(3C), pam(3), passwd(4), shells(4). chsh(1)