Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers using the mount command to connect to a windows share Post 41180 by cw1972 on Tuesday 30th of September 2003 11:51:55 AM
Old 09-30-2003
using the mount command to connect to a windows share

Until recently I have been using the following command successfully to connect to a windows share:

mount -t smbfs -o username=my_username,password=my_password /home/temp //oldserverx1/openexchange

But from today, I've been getting the following error:

INFO: Debug class all level = 1 (pid 21390 from pid 21390)
Could not resolve mount point //oldserverx1/openexchange

(I have the IP address, full machine name and short machine name entered in /etc/hosts and I can ping the machine.)

Anyone have any ideas what might have changed?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Mount a Unix share drive on Windows

We are trying to mount a Unix share drive on a Windows 2003 server to avoid transfering files accross the network using sftp. I can see shared drives on the Solaris server using the "share" command. How can I mount the drives on my Windows server so that I can read them directly. Do I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbdenham
2 Replies

2. Solaris

How to mount windows Share on solaris using SAMBA

Hi All I am new for Solaris and, I have configured SAMBA on my SUN10 Network machine and it's working fine. can anyone tell me how to mount windows share on my SUN10 machine. Thanks in advance daya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daya.pandit
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can i mount nfs share on windows 2003 server

this is probably a bit dumb ...but i read somewhere that one of the nfs versions can be mounted on a windows 2003 server ..if yes ..does anyone know how this can be achieved (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

Mount Windows share on Redhat, WITHOUT Samba?

Hi, Please let me know whether I can mount a windows share on Redhat, which does not have Samba installed. The constraint is that I cannot install Samba . Looking forward for a possible solution. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jksena
1 Replies

5. Solaris

how to mount Windows NFS share on solaris

Hi, How can i mount an NFS share on a solaris machine a filesystem ? I have enabled nfs on a windows server and the shares has given read/write access to it to all the users. I would like to mount it on around 10 different solaris boxes with different versions of solaris. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Is it possible to setup a samba share to always mount to a specific Windows drive letter???

I'm trying to setup Samba in a solaris zone... Is there a way to setup Samba so that every Windows machine that tries to connect to the share always gets it mounted under the same drive letter (e.g. H:)??? My Samba share (in smb.conf) /home/pickup I want that all Window users get it mounted... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: verdepollo
3 Replies

7. Solaris

mount windows share folder

all,,i need help,,i try to mount a windows 2000 share folder to my system,,i already userd smb mount,mount -F and bunch of stuff and none is working,,can anyone give me a script to this?? PS : when i use mount -F i got this message : nfs mount: insufficient privileges ,,, is it must be root ? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cellscript
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

unable to mount windows share on linux 5.1

Hi, I am using redhat linux 5.1 - 64bit, using command mount -t cifs //192.192.192.192/SW/Ex /192.192.192.192 -o username=test I am getting below error. mount: block device //192.192.192.192/SW/Ex is write-protected, mounting read-only mount: cannot mount block device... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

9. AIX

AIX cifs: mount Windows Server 2008 share ?

Hello, I've been using AIX cifs to mount windows XP shares with no problems till now. Now it's Windows Server 2008 R2 - no go: mount -v cifs -n host1/user1/pass1 /share1 /mountpt1 There was an error connecting the share or the server. Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 NFS client cannot mount a share from a Windows server

I have a Solaris 10 server, I'm trying to mount a share from a Windows nfs server. If I add this entry (tst-walnut:/test_sap_nfs - /majid nfs - yes rw,soft) to my /etc/vfstab, then I can mount, but when I create a file by root:root, the file owner changes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies
RUMP_SMBFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     RUMP_SMBFS(8)

NAME
rump_smbfs -- mount a smbfs share with a userspace server SYNOPSIS
file-system PUFFS pseudo-device putter rump_smbfs [options] share mountpoint DESCRIPTION
NOTE! This manual page describes features specific to the rump(3) file server. Please see mount_smbfs(8) for a full description of the available command line options. The rump_smbfs utility can be used to mount smbfs file systems. It uses rump(3) and p2k(3) to facilitate running the file system as a server in userspace. As opposed to mount_smbfs(8), rump_smbfs does not use file system code within the kernel and therefore does not require kernel support except puffs(4). Apart from a minor speed penalty there is no downside with respect to in-kernel code. Even though the rump_smbfs file system client runs within a virtual rump kernel in userspace, it uses host network services (by means of ``rump sockin''). This means that regardless of whether using rump_smbfs or mount_smbfs(8), the same network configurations will be used. Currently, ``sockin'' supports IPv4. To use rump_smbfs via mount(8), the flags -o rump and -t smbfs should be given. Similarly, rump_smbfs is used instead of mount_smbfs(8) if ``rump'' is added to the options field of fstab(5). SEE ALSO
p2k(3), puffs(3), rump(3), mount_smbfs(8) HISTORY
The rump_smbfs utility first appeared in NetBSD 6.0. BSD
November 21, 2010 BSD