Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Limit backup files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Limit backup files Post 41174 by Perderabo on Tuesday 30th of September 2003 11:30:39 AM
Old 09-30-2003
Try this:

rm `ls -tr *.bkp | head -1`

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

limit of files in the ufs filesystem

Hello ! Does anyone knows which de limit of files in the ufs filesystem in the Solaris 2.6 ?? Danke, Witt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

limit to number of files in a given directory

Everyone, We are on a unix AIX 4.3 platform and our application is written as such that all configuration files must reside in a specific directory. Currently there are over 10,000 files in this directory (and growing at about 300 per month). My question is is there a physical limit to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedrict
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size Limit for zip files

Hi, I am using the jar command to compress a directory. The size of the directory contents is 105 GB. The jar/zip that gets created is approximately 5.5 GB in size. But this file seems to be corrupt when verified using the unzip command. Is there any limitation for the size of the zip file?... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prafulasher
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to limit files downloaded by wget

I am trying to download a page and retrieve only wav and mp3 files via wget. the website is: Alarm Sounds | Free Sound Effects | Alarm Sound Clips | Sound Bites my command is : wget -rl 2 -e robots=off -A wav,mp3 http://soundbible.com/tags-alarm.html When not using the -A wav,mp3... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Any limit on files

I am doing an ftp of around 1010 files and I am using mput for this. For some reason its only transferring 10 or 20 files and the rest are not getting transferred. There is some socket error in the log. is there an issue if we have more than 50 or so files for mput. here is the o/p in the log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find files and seach limit with grep

Hi, I'm testing nginx-cache-purge and notice that grep searches all file content, and since the cache key is in the second line I would like to limit grep searching. This is the script I'm using: github.com/perusio/nginx-cache-purge The line I would like to change and limit grep search... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nfn
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Limit Number of files

hi guys how can i limit number of files in a disk or partition ? or how can i make a limit to inode number for a disk or partition ? ext3 or ext4 file system (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mhs
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Limit number of files transferred

I've a folder in remote server and it has 50 files. I like to transfer these files by first 10 and next 10 files. I'm using mget command to transfer the files. How to limit the file transfer limit to 10. instead of copying 50 files at a time. Thanks Janarthan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Janarthan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris 11 - opened files limit ?

Hey all, I'm running apache (cswapache2) on a Solaris 11.3 server. Recently, if I create a new vhost, the service fails to restart, and enters in maintenance mode. If I comment lines with log files, the service starts again. I guess I've reached the limit. I checked the current values... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: omegared77
8 Replies
head(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   head(1)

NAME
head - Displays the beginning of files SYNOPSIS
Current Syntax head [-c bytes] [-n lines] [file...] Obsolescent Syntax head [-lines] [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: head: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
The default count is 10. [Tru64 UNIX] Specifies the number of bytes to display. If the last byte written is not a newline character, a newline character is appended to the output. Specifies the number of lines to display Works exactly as -n lines. Obsolescent. OPERANDS
Path name of the input file. If you do not specify a file, head reads standard input. DESCRIPTION
The head command copies the standard input to standard output, ending output of each file at the specified point. NOTES
The obsolescent form is subject to withdrawal at any time. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the first 5 lines of a file called test, enter: head -n 5 test To display the first ten lines of all files (except those with a name beginning with a period), enter: head * ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of head: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments and input files). Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cat(1), more(1), pg(1), sed(1), tail(1) Standards: standards(5) head(1)