Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 100% newb - please help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 100% newb - please help Post 41134 by Rawdawg on Monday 29th of September 2003 11:27:05 PM
Old 09-30-2003
Network 100% newb - please help

I run windows 2000 right now. I want to learn how to use unix/linux. How do i go about installing Unix/Linux? What's the easiest version to install? Where can i get it? Is my Hardware Compatable? How do i partition my Hd? HELP!!!!!Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The biggest newb ever...

Hi, all you unix people. I am a pretty advanced windows user, but I am curious about unix. Is there any reason I should attempt to acquire some form of unix for my home computer system? What sort of things is unix useful for? Unix is open source, right? Assuming that to be the case, I infer that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BoneMalone
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help for a newb

ok i just installed FreeBSD 4.8 on a computer i had lying around and it was working ok but then when i tried to set up KDE's xdm (kdm) i think i must have configured the login manager wrong because i cant login through the kdm and therefore i can log in to BSD at all?! please can someone help me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: h3x
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newb question

I don't even know if this should go here but I just would like to know what this means: d0e45878043844ffc41aac437e86b602 I know absolutely nothin' about UNIX, and I found this in a SQL table in a board I run. Someone please tell me what that is in "normal" mode. Pardon me for my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daeglin
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok I'm a Newb, Please Help

I am wanting to download the Linux Program. When i go to download it I see several things to download. What do i download exactly? Then what do I do to install it. Also I have partitioned my hard drive to make way for Linux on the other part to play with it, will any problems arise from this? I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seeto
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newb here....Someone spying on me?

Hey all. I'm brand spankin' new here to the board. I'm also a novice at Unix. I've been using it for about 1 year now but I haven't really expanded my abilities since I learned the basics. I am in school and I mainly just use Unix to submit stuff to assignment directories and use it to compile my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: andre2000
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

newb help needed

hi all, im working on a script that needs to read in a file, search for a string of text within that file, and if the string is found, do something. so i know i need to use an if-then statement, but how do i test for the existence of a string within the file? any help would be greatly appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdlearnest
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help a newb with sed?

So here is my problem: I need to do a sed search and replace on the following: variable_blah_STATUS replaced with "replace string". sed 's/variable_blah_STATUS/replace string/g' works great but there is a catch. The catch is that I need to check and not replace variable_blah_STATUS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phreezr
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

Newb Help, need to image one HD to another

Hello, I am totally new to Unix We have a piece of test equipment, three of them actually, that run HP-UX 9.0 from like 1994. We had backup tapes with procedures to load the OS and our test software, but the 16-track tapes are corrupt now. HP will not support it, they dont have it anymore,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newball80
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

'Find' newb; looking for feedback

Working with examples from a text I found online not quite getting the results I want. Hoping I could have someone look at them and give me some feedback. Find is set to display contents of subdirectories correct? How do you repress that? find ~ -size +9500k -mtime -7 This should display all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

newb at scripting how would I do this?

Hi guys. I have been lurking for quit some time attempting to learn on my own but I have reached an impasse. I need to extract specific details from from a text file that I get and parse it out into separate files with the name of each individual and the date it was proccess. Then within... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostpacket
2 Replies
FINDFS(8)						       System Administration							 FINDFS(8)

NAME
findfs - find a filesystem by label or UUID SYNOPSIS
findfs NAME=value DESCRIPTION
findfs will search the block devices in the system looking for a filesystem or partition with specified tag. The currently supported tags are: LABEL=<label> Specifies filesystem label. UUID=<uuid> Specifies filesystem UUID. PARTUUID=<uuid> Specifies partition UUID. This partition identifier is supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition tables. PARTLABEL=<label> Specifies partition label (name). The partition labels are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) or MAC partition tables. If the filesystem or partition is found, the device name will be printed on stdout. The complete overview about filesystems and partitions you can get for example by lsblk --fs partx --show <disk> blkid EXIT STATUS
0 success 1 label or uuid cannot be found 2 usage error, wrong number of arguments or unknown option AUTHOR
findfs was originally written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> and re-written for the util-linux package by Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), lsblk(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The findfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2014 FINDFS(8)