Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dumb thing to do
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Dumb thing to do Post 4108 by yellowfish on Wednesday 18th of July 2001 04:48:56 PM
Old 07-18-2001

check Hardware first (cable, moniter...); I know
it sounds stupid but anything could happen :-(

after making sure everyting is right, try it

1. turn off power
2. turn on power ( after turn on power, press Stop-N NOT Stop-A untill it boot; do not release both of key till machine boot up)

3. if machine still not up not even a spining "|" sign, I will check cpu or motherboard.

Hope this help Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dumb question

My problem is as follows: I have to write a korn shell script which will run mutiple java applications one after one. For example, I will execute the java application A first, after it is done I will run application B. My question is how do I do this? How does my korn shell script know that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: madhab99
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

really dumb question...

ok i decided to go with Mandrake so i went to the site to download it and that took me to a mirror site. ok. so once i get there were can i find the install file(s) that i need? i only see a series of folder and files. the ones that say intall are instructions but i don't see the files themselves.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchillin
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Two dumb questions

It's obvious I'm a newbie after today, so I come to ask two questions. Or, solutions to two problems, anyway. I'm running KDE 3.1 on SuSE Linux 8.2, for reference. 1. After downloading programs for KDE and running 'configure', I infallably get an error that states: 'in the prefix, you've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Darkstripes
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

This is going to sound dumb but...

how do i create scripts while in unix? Could someone tell me in the format of: commands script commands or something like that or even however you feel comfortable but could you try to explain it thoroughly. just want something where i can look at it and be able to put anything i want in there.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok really dumb question but...

Does anyone have detailed info on how to download the files. I go to www.freebsd.com and then i dont know what to do. I dont know why i dont know but im drawing a complete blank so is there anyone that can provide a step by step procedure for downloading/installing Linux? :confused: :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question...

Probably a really easy one for you guru's out there...:rolleyes: I need to make sure the reverse address lookup daemon in rarpd, is running. How do I do so? :confused: Did a grep for the process but couldnt find it, also looked in all the normal places, /bin etc... Cheers (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another dumb question but...

When getting a listing of files using "ls -l", my output shows the permissions, #oflinks???, owner, group, size, month-day-time, and file. In the example below, how would I know what year the file was last modified? -rw-rw-r--, 28, root, root, 2048, Oct 28 15:10, somefile.txt (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KGee
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

this is a very dumb question...i know... :(

hi, when we do an "ls -l" on a directory, we get the listing of the contents of that dir... what is the meaning of some numbers...example in ; -rw-r--r-- 1 idr supp 0 Feb 18 19:41 dmesg drwxrwsrwx 2 root sys 96 Dec 27 15:31 test09 drwxr-xr-x 3 bin ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cromohawk
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

i have few dumb questions..

i wanna learn UNIX so 1. how should i start? 2. which book should i use? 3. which environment is best for learning n then getting job? thanx in advance........:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjai
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

i have few dumb questions..

i wanna learn UNIX so 1. how should i start? 2. which book should i use? 3. which environment is best for learning n then getting job? thanx in advance........:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjai
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)                                                                                                            install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)