Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting select count(*) into a variable Post 40938 by sssow on Thursday 25th of September 2003 10:21:59 AM
Old 09-25-2003
#!/bin/sh
COUNT=`sqlplus -s system/manager <<ABC
set head off;
select count(*) from table1;
exit;
ABC`

Last edited by sssow; 09-25-2003 at 11:28 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

select count(*) in sqlplus into variable unix shell

Need to select count(*) from table to check for zero result in unix script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: struggle
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a variable to select records with awk

As part of a bigger task, I had to read thru a file and separate records into various batches based on a field. Specifically, separate records based on the value in the batch field as defined below. The batch field left-justified numbers. The datafile is here > cat infile 12345 1 John Smith ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeyg
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect Postgresql Select Query to Variable

How to redirect postgresql select query to a variable using shell scripts? I tried to use psql -c "select ip from servers" db | egrep '+\.+\+\+' | sed 's/^ *\(.*\) *$/\1/' Output: 10.10.10.180 10.10.10.181 It display ip addresses from the databasem, but how could i redirect the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uativan
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i assign an select statement into a variable?

I am trying to assign an select statement into a variable. Can someone hel me with this. example : a='select * from dual' echo $a should give me select * from dual But this is not working. I trying with \ before * and quotes too. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using unix variable in select column in awk

Hi, I have file on below pattern, and i want to write a generic awk to handle all cases. input_file: col1~col2~col3~col4~col5~col6 I need to generate 4 files something like this File1: col1~~col2~~col3 File2: col1~~col2~~col4 File3: col1~~col2~~col5 File4: col1~~col2~~col6 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luckybalaji
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select variable within a if statement

i want to select a variable created and use it in a if statement, but not getting the desired results LINE='device for 0101a01: lpd://172.25.41.111:515' prt=`echo $LINE | awk '{print $3 }' | cut -c 1-7` echo $prt My if statement to select just what i want.. IFS=$":" while read prt... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggoliath
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set a variable with a count variable i.e. VARIABLE$COUNT

Hi All I've very nearly finished this script I'm working on but have hit another idiots problem, after googling I can't see a solution for this one. I have a while count loop that checks checks two consecutive values then increments the count by two. What the script has to do is then check... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute a no of SELECT COUNT(*) statements using a loop

HI Unix Gurus, I have a number of SELECT count(*) statements in an input file and I want to execute it using a shell script but one by one using loop in script.... How can I do this..... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ustechie
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value of a select count(*) from tablename ( run on db2 ) to a unix variable

Hi All, I have browsed through the forums for a similar topic, but there is no topic which explains about this problem, when the backend is DB2. I want to assign the output of a select count(*) from tablename to a unix variable in a shell script. I am using ksh. The database used to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddarth
3 Replies