Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hardware compatability
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Hardware compatability Post 4090 by cantcatchme on Wednesday 18th of July 2001 10:05:03 AM
Old 07-18-2001
Hardware compatability

One thing I am learning is that it is hard to find hardware that is compatiple with unix (correct me if I am wrong).

I have now installed Corel's version of Linux.

How do you know when a piece of hardware (e.g. network card) is or is not working in Unix.

I go to the Control centre and see all the hardware listed.

I have been popping in various types of network cards in the hopes that it will help get me network going.
(I am using internet connection sharing thru a hub from a win2000 machine across my home network)

As I said I see all the hardware listed, but how do you tell if it is working.

For example.
Under Network adapter is says this:

Description: Realtek 8129 PCI network
Manufacturer: Realtek Semiconductor Co. ltd.
Device: Unknown
Driver: ne2k-pci.o (as a pop up menu)

PCI information
Vendor ID: 0x10EC
Card ID: 0x8029
Slot number: 10
PCI info: 0x10EC, 0x8029, 10

Does all this mean its working?

Another thing:
Is it possible to add new drivers made by manufacturers?

And one more thing.
If Corel says that they support the 3C905 card- Does this mean that is will work for the 3C905B-TX and the 3C905C-TMX cards?

This unix thing is really wild, Its so nice to put windows in the background. I feel like I am five with a new toy!

Thanks to all who read and/or help

CCM
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hardware

Hi I have a problem to start up my Solaris Ultra 5. When it boots up I get a strange clicking sound, sounds like the hard drive that is "thinking" very hard. On the screen I get these messages: Boot device: Files and Args: Please check cable and try again Network link setup fail Time out... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orange
8 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

hardware 3d

How do I check my system to see if the graphics are using hardware 3d suport or not. I have a TNT2 on RH 7.1 kernel 2.4.9-?(can't remember off top of my head)I'm running all the latest updates from RH. Also I now have a dvd drive and I am trying to find a player that will play all movies and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MaxCat
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Per and Hardware

Is it possible to use Perl to work with hardware? Or is it strictly for text processing. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Luftwaffe
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Laptop Compatability

I would like to know if anybody has had success loading Solaris 8 onto a laptop? If so, what was the make and the model:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bilal_aa
5 Replies

5. Linux

Mandrake Compatability

I was just woundering, is mandrake compatible with AMD Athlon processors? I think I have AMD Athlon 2400 XP (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kimm
5 Replies

6. Programming

C and hardware !

Hello ! I have a friend , in one day he tell me this : some guy made a cool program in C , for some sort or hardware control . I say : wow ! Maybe someone , can give me an example , how can C control hardware so good ( as I hear ) , and maybe some cool information , where to learn the idea ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: !_30
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Hardware

Hi, I'm looking to run Sun Solaris 8 or 9, but have been running windows :mad: .can anyone give me advice about the hardware needed for solaris and possably any software i may need, the type of model and where i may be able to buy these within the uk. :confused: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: franz
3 Replies

8. AIX

New Hardware

Can someone help me with what I am guessing is a simple job for an AIX admin. However I am 100% HP-UX and not touched AIX before the start of this week. I am trying to connect an IBM Blade (JS22) to our HP Enterprise Tape Library. I have done all the SAN zoning and this appears to be happy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andyp2704
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sybase 12/15 compatability

This is more a database problem than a shell one, but we have a problem affecting our scripts, so I'm stretching the limits a bit! ;) We're in the process of migrating our application and a large number of associated scripts from Sybase 12.5.4 to Sybase 15. Scripts using 'isql' and 'bcp' include... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JerryHone
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Hardware faulty, but which hardware?

Hi folk, I have this hardware faunty message, but dont know which hardware is this ? can you guide me ? --------------- ------------------------------------ -------------- --------- TIME EVENT-ID MSG-ID SEVERITY ---------------... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
9 Replies
MALO(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   MALO(4)

NAME
malo -- Marvell Libertas IEEE 802.11b/g wireless network driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: device malo device pci device wlan device firmware Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following lines in loader.conf(5): if_malo_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The malo driver provides support for Marvell Libertas 88W8335 based PCI and Cardbus network adapters. malo supports station and monitor mode operation. Only one virtual interface may be configured at any time. For more information on configuring this device, see ifconfig(8). This driver requires the malofw firmware kernel module be installed before it will work. The firmware files are not publicly available. A port of the firmware can be found at: http://weongyo.org/project/malo/malo-firmware-1.4.tar.gz The firmware kernel module can be installed by extracting the archive and running 'make install clean' in the malo-firmware-1.4 directory. HARDWARE
The following cards are among those supported by the malo driver: Card Chip Bus Standard Netgear WG311v3 88W8335 PCI b/g Tenda TWL542P 88W8335 PCI b/g U-Khan UW-2054i 88W8335 PCI b/g EXAMPLES
Join an existing BSS network (i.e., connect to an access point): ifconfig wlan create wlandev malo0 inet 192.168.0.20 netmask 0xffffff00 Join a specific BSS network with network name ``my_net'': ifconfig wlan create wlandev malo0 ssid my_net up Join a specific BSS network with 64-bit WEP encryption: ifconfig wlan create wlandev malo0 ssid my_net wepmode on wepkey 0x1234567890 weptxkey 1 up SEE ALSO
cardbus(4), pci(4), wlan(4), wlan_ccmp(4), wlan_tkip(4), wlan_wep(4), ifconfig(8), wpa_supplicant(8) HISTORY
The malo device driver first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. BSD
October 21, 2009 BSD