Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sendmail
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sendmail Post 405 by Astudent on Friday 1st of December 2000 10:09:18 PM
Old 12-01-2000
I just started reading about sendmail.
What I wanted to know is - is it possible to have an auto response for my hotmail account/@home/sympatico account -
or? As I stated I just recently started reading up on sendmail and email tactics.
I was just thinking of something simple - where a message would be sent back to the sender saying "your message has been sent to " @hotmail.com" he will repond shortly/

Thanks,

theA

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail.cf

Dear All , I have Linux Red Hat 6.1 , and i have sendmail (8.11.6 ) . i have big problem with spammers , i was looking in sendmail.cf configuration file and i saw this option , i tried it but it failed : the option is : # file containing known spammers by email,domain,ip Kjunk hash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamemi
1 Replies

2. Programming

sendmail

hi, i am using sendmail function to send the mail for mail client. when i am sending mime content with attaching with body for the images. the image is not displaying in the mail box. all the mime content stuff is displaying. all the headers are proper. hope the reply for this (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagineni
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail

HI CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? I HAVE COME ACROSS A PROBLEM. I AM USING SENDMAIL IN HP-UX IN THE FOLLOWING MANNER /usr/sbin/sendmail -t someone@someplace.com < /path/to/file.log BUT THE RECEIPIENT DOESNOT GET THE ADDRESS IN THE TO: SECTION OF THE MAIL. ALSO I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY OPTION TO PUT A... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

sendmail.cf

we have two mail servers and want to setup failover for DR. we have a line in sendmail.cf like this DS smtp.domain.com and this works fine...... we changed it to DS smtp1.domain.com smtp2.domain.com this is bad, we get errors of savemail panic and many bounce messages... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsonde
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail.cf

we have two mail servers and want to setup failover for DR. we have a line in sendmail.cf like this DS smtp.domain.com and this works fine...... we changed it to DS smtp1.domain.com smtp2.domain.com this is bad, we get errors of savemail panic and many bounce messages and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail Help

Hi All, Can anyone help me out to know how can a mail be sent from sendmail command. I tried the below command sendmail -f user-host@xyz.com -s "Some Message" -t abcd@xyz.com It throwed a message -s... User unknown Message... User unknown Some... User unknown But this did not work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
1 Replies

7. Linux

Sendmail

How do i see all incoming mail's and outgoing mail's for a particular user and how do i list folders of sendmail (mailbox) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sagar824u
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail

Hi, I have sendmail running in my server. I would like to know the vendor of this sendmail running in the server. I read in a blog that there are many vendors for sendmail. Please advise me how could I identify the vendor for this? Thanks, Poovalingam. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
aliases(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							aliases(4)

NAME
aliases - Contains alias definitions for the sendmail program SYNOPSIS
/var/adm/sendmail/aliases DESCRIPTION
By default, the aliases file contains the required aliases for the sendmail program. Do not delete these defaults because they are needed by the system. This file describes user ID aliases used by the sendmail command. It is formatted as a series of lines in the form: name: name_1, name_2, name_3,.. The name is the name that needs an alias, and the name_n are the aliases for that name. Lines beginning with white space are continuation lines. Lines beginning with a # (number sign) are comments. You can define an alias only on local names. Duplicate addresses are removed and no message is sent to any person more than once. For example, if name_1 defines an alias that is name_2 and name_2 defines an alias that is name_1, sendmail does not send the same message back and forth. Local and valid recipients who have a .forward file in their home directory have messages forwarded to the list of users defined in that file. This is only the raw data file; the actual information that defines the aliases is placed into a binary format in the files /var/adm/send- mail/aliases.dir and /var/adm/sendmail/aliases.pag using the newaliases command. For the change to take effect, the newaliases command must be executed each time the aliases file is changed. The sendmail program also supports sending messages to programs or appending a message to a file. See the sendmail(8) reference page for further information. Special Aliases Directs error messages that occur when sending to aliasname back to address. RESTRICTIONS
Aliases for sendmail use the dbm(3) database format for faster lookups. A single alias cannot exceed 1,000 characters. To work around this restriction, you can chain together aliases. For example: alias-list: ali1, ali2, ali3 ali1: name 1, name 2 ... ali2: name n, name n + 1 FILES
Binary aliases file. Binary aliases file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: newaliases(1), forward(4), local.users(4), sendmail(8) delim off aliases(4)