Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Changing Special Characters Using Sed Post 40447 by Perderabo on Monday 15th of September 2003 05:13:08 PM
Old 09-15-2003
You have more funky characters in that file than the two that you mentioned. You may want to change them as well.

I will show you how I would approach something like this. I am using ksh as my interactive shell. That is important because my solution depends on the echo statement.

Let's say that I want to change all of my Ä characters to be a hyphen character. It is possible that a simple "sed s/Ä/-/g" would work, But I don't like to use non-ascii characters.

First I need to know the octal value for Ä and I will use od -c for that.
od -c < funky.txt
OK, it is 304.

Now I need an echo statement to create a single instance of that character. I will test the echo statement to be sure it's working:
echo \\0304\\c ; sleep 5
The sleep 5 gives me some time to view the character before my prompt overwrites it.

Now I can construct the sed statement:
sed "s/$(echo \\0304\\c)/-/g" < funky.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk/sed with special characters

i have this script that searches for a pattern. However it fails if the pattern includes some special characters. So far, it fails with the following strings: 1. -Cr 2. $Mj 3. H'412 would a sed or awk be more effective? i don't want the users to put the (\) during the search (they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with special characters

Hi, I am reading a file (GC_JAR.log) which has entries like: 511725.629, 0.1122672 secs] 525268.975, 0.1240036 secs] 527181.835, 0.2068215 secs] 527914.287, 0.2884801 secs] 528457.134, 0.2548725 secs] I want to replace all the entries of "secs]" with just "secs" Thus, the output... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itzz.me
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed with many special characters

I started with this: counter1=1 cp file.txt file_${counter1}.tmp while read name1 do echo $name1 counter2=`expr $counter1 + 1` sed /'${name1}'/d file_${counter1}.txt > file_${counter2}.txt counter1=`expr $counter1 + 1` done < source.txtsource.txt contains the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakanino
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace special characters

Hi everyone I have file1 contains: '7832' ' 8765 6543 I want a sed command that will format as: '7832' , '8765' , '6543' I tried sed -e s/\'//g -e 's/^*//;s/*$//' file1 > file2 sed -e :a -e '$!N; s/\n/ /; ta' file2 which gives: 7832 8765 6543 I need some help to continue with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED with Special characters

Hello All Seeking the right one SED command. My attempt is: From orginal.txt by SED to target.txt sed -i "/('outbound-callerid/a\$ext->add($context, $exten, '', new ext_SipAddHeader('P-Preferred-Identity', '<sip:${CALLERID(nummer)}@carrier.com>'));" orginal.txtWhat am make wrong?:wall: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdbinder
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&amp;MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID &amp; BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed special characters issue

Hi I'm trying to replace string1 by string2 in file homepage.htm as follows but is not working. Please Help: sedsed -i "s@'://your server name:port/test/owa'@'://11.22.33.44:5555/pls/SAMPLE'@g" homepage.htm Where, String1 ://your server name:port/test/owa String2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: koazter
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed - remove special characters

Hi, I have a file with this line, it's always in the first line: I want to remove these special characters: ´╗┐ file1 ´╗┐\\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35 Bytes;2 ;1 I want the same file to be only \\bar\c$\test2\;3.348.118 Bytes;160 ;3 \\bar\c$\test\;35... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed special characters issues

I am dusting off the sed cobwebs and had a basic question: I have a file that contains: $firewall = "on"; $cache = "on"; $dataset{'mary had a little lamb'} = "on"; and want to only change the contents of what is between the single quotes: $dataset{'big bad wolf'} = "on"; I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed in a while loop with special characters

I have the foolowing data file: File1 <p name="A">5004</p> <p name="B">5004</p> <p name="C">5004</p> <p name="A">15004</p> <p name="B">15004</p> <p name="C">15004</p> In a while loop using sed (100 of line need to be replace), I need the output to File3:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
2 Replies
sleep(1)						      General Commands Manual							  sleep(1)

NAME
sleep - Suspends execution for at least the specified time SYNOPSIS
sleep seconds STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: sleep: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
Non-negative integer specifying the number of seconds for which execution is to be suspended. DESCRIPTION
The sleep command suspends execution of a process for at least the interval specified by seconds, which can range from 0 to 2,147,483,647 seconds. Depending on system activity, the actual time of suspension may be longer. See the sleep(3) reference page. [Tru64 UNIX] seconds can be entered as a non-negative decimal, octal, or hexadecimal value. NOTES
If sleep receives a SIGALARM signal before process execution has resumed, sleep takes one of the following actions: Terminates normally with a 0 (zero) exit status. (See the sleep(3) reference page for more information.) Ignores the signal Performs default processing EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Execution was successfully suspended for at least the requested time, or a SIGALARM signal was received. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display a message at 4-minute intervals for 20 minutes, create a shell script called remind containing the following: for i do sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i sleep 240; echo $i done To display the message Try calling NHK at 4-minute intervals, enter: remind 'Try calling NHK' To run a command at regular intervals, create a shell script containing the following: while true do date sleep 60 done This displays the date and time once a minute. To execute a command after a specified interval, enter the following; (sleep 3600; echo Time's up) & This displays the message "Time's up" after one hour. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of sleep: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: wait(1) Functions: alarm(3), pause(3), sigaction(2), sleep(3) Standards: standards(5) sleep(1)