Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Pkgadd / gnutar
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Pkgadd / gnutar Post 40285 by babayeve on Friday 12th of September 2003 07:11:30 AM
Old 09-12-2003
Re: Help

[QUOTE]Originally posted by finster
[B]

I have installed gtar sucessfully....as before but have forgotten how to gtar a file. It gives the following error:

/usr/local/bin/gtar -zxpf cnr_5_5_10-solaris.gtar.gz

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
/usr/local/bin/gtar: Child returned status 1
/usr/local/bin/gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I think you have to 'gunzip' (gnu unzip) the file before untarring it, so try this.

gunzip cnr_5_5_10-solaris.gtar.gz

after doing this you will have a file named "cnr_5_5_10-solaris.gtar" and you will lose your original .gz file. Then try untarring "cnr_5_5_10-solaris.gtar"

tar -vxf "cnr_5_5_10-solaris.gtar"

I hope this will work.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

GNUTAR exclude directories

Hi, Can anyone help me with the following: I want to make a backup from my (AIX) system. But I don't want to backup a couple of temp-directories. I tried it with the X-option, but that didn't work. I hope that someone can help me. Thanks in advance. Corine (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueLady
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pkgadd

I am adding gcc 3.3.2 to my unix box what is the best way to do it???? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alsande
4 Replies

3. Solaris

pkgadd

is there an option in pkgadd to accept the default option? I want to use pkgadd in a script and do not want to stop at intercative questions. thx. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
6 Replies

4. Solaris

pkgadd help

I'm trying to install a package and it worked on most of the sun boxes and one of the box is just freezing and not going further. Her is the output. pkgadd -d packagename.dstream Select package(s) you wish to process (or 'all' to process all packages). (default: all) : Processing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mokkan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

pkgadd?

Hi all. Is there an option to #pkgadd to test if package bundle you want to install requires a reboot? #pkgadd -d "package bundle" an option like test or a dry run? Suggestions, anyone? :confused: Reloader (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reloader
2 Replies

6. Solaris

pkgadd woes

Morning all, I am attempting to load a package from a Solaris 8 CDROM. This fails with the error : "pkgadd: ERROR: unable to access pkgmap file </cdrom/ .........../SUNWlibC/pkgmap> No changes were made to the system" Any help would be appreciated Andy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AndyD
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Pkgadd error

Hi All, Good Mng,Here I am getting one error while adding the top package to one of my Aun server. root@HYDREM01 # pkgadd -d top-3.6.1-sol9-sparc-local The following packages are available: 1 SMCtop top (sparc) 3.6.1 Select package(s) you wish to process (or... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lbreddy
6 Replies

8. Solaris

pkgadd changes permissions of /etc

Hi, when I install a package using pkgadd, it correctly installs the binary files with the user name that I want. However it also changes the permissions of /etc/rc2.d. I don't want this to happen. I want to retain original owner of /etc/rc2.d as it is. I could see that before installing,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: funwithdolphin
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Pkgadd with firefox

I am using Solaris 10, and trying to keep a number of old Sun workstations running. Since version 17 of firefox, I have had problems using pkgadd, and had to use tar to un-archive the components of firefox. Is this just a problem with firefox (and probably thunderbird), or is pkgadd broken (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jkoval
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pkgadd issue

Good Afternoon, I have 3 video driver packages in a directory that need to be installed. on a SunBlade 2500 running Solaris9. When I try running pkgadd -d /Recovery/CloneDrivers/SUNWpfbcf for example, I get pkgadd: ERROR: no packages were found in </var/spool/pkg> Permissions are 755, owner... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
3 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)