Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: where to put shell scripts?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers where to put shell scripts? Post 4004 by kapilv on Tuesday 17th of July 2001 12:18:58 AM
Old 07-17-2001
Hi

Regarding a shell script's extension, it can have any extension and it's location depends on how do you want to use it. For e.g if you are starting with writing scripts then you can make a script (not specific can be of any name) in your home directory and then run it from there. Also ther are some scripts which bring up the database or the javawebserver. now since in some organisations these tasks needs to be automated, system admins usually place these scripts where the other system startup or runlevel scripts are placed.
Basically you need to place your scripts depending on how you are using them or what they are supposed to do or what login specific variables do they use.
Hope this helps

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Difference between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts

Hi, Please give me the detailed Differences between writing Unix Shell script and AIX Shell Scripts. Thanks in advance..... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

place to put statup scripts?

I have written a script to start websphere server, I dont know where to put the file in the OS . please put me the place to put the starup scripts in linux, solaris and AIX? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayaramanit
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

put a shell in for statement

I'm a newbie here, today I've got a problem. Here's the shell: b.sh #!/bin/bash rm -rf $1 a.sh #!/bin/bash for file in '/root/Desktop/test/*' do echo $file sh ./b.sh $file done ls /root/Desktop/test When I sh a.sh, the result is : (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: very.very.sorry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to put a breakpoint in gdb using bash shell

I want a way to put a break point in gdb by runing a shell script. Actualy I wanted to do certain automisation of a long manual process, which includes starting of a process in background and then taking the process ID of that process and then attach the gdb to that process ID. Then finaly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilkumawat
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file in shell and put result in a line

Hi All, I have a to read a file and put the result in one line. The i am reading from contain the data like below. 1 signifies the beging of the new line. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lottiem
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling 'n' number of shell scripts based on dependency in one shell script.

Hello gurus, I have three korn shell script 3.1, 3.2, 3.3. I would like to call three shell script in one shell script. i m looking for something like this call 3.1; If 3.1 = "complete" then call 3.2; if 3.2 = ''COMPlete" then call 3.3; else exit The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shashi369
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to Shell scripts and where do you put them

Hey all, I'm trying to setup an external XML feed for my site and I've received a script to make it all possible. This script places the feed in the MySQL datbasa and can remove the previous feed. Because I am new to this I would like to ask a simple question. Could somebody tell me where do I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisdegrote
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to put data using shell script to a excel file

Hi, Can any one tell me how to put data using shell script to a excel file from text file to other columns of excel file,leaving first column unaffected i.e it should not overwrite data in first column. Say my text file data is: 15-dec-2008 15-dec-2009 16-dec-2008 16-dec-2009 say my first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siri_886
1 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Fun things to put in comments in scripts?

Approaching the end of my portion of some STIG/DOD compliance automation and I was challenged by a co-worker to include a story in my code. There are blocks of code that need to be kept the way they are for GIT/Gerrit and then compliance, but otherwise I changed out all the comments into a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script variable $1 used with put command

I have the following script used, i am new to shell scripting. tryign to understand. in the put $BASE_FOLDER/$base_name holds which path. What does it mean by $1 second path in put command is it constructing this path: /user/hive/warehouse/stage.db/$1 what is $1 holding in above path. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cplusplus1
2 Replies
NAUTILUS-SCRIPTS-MANAGER(1)				      General Commands Manual				       NAUTILUS-SCRIPTS-MANAGER(1)

NAME
nautilus-scripts-manager - easy tool for nautilus scripts management SYNOPSIS
nautilus-scripts-manager [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the nautilus-scripts-manager command. nautilus-scripts-manager is a program that allows any user to easily manage installed Nautilus scripts. GENERAL OPTIONS
-h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. COMMANDS
One (and only one) of the following commands can be passed: -e, --enable=ENABLE Enable script ENABLE. -d, --disable=DISABLE Disable script DISABLE. -l, --list-enabled List enabled scripts. -a, --list-available List available scripts. If no command is provided, the graphical interface is started. OPTIONS
-e, --position=POSITION In conjunction with -e or -d: establish the position of the script (can be just a name, or a path with slashes - quote it if it con- tains spaces). SEE ALSO
nautilus(1), AUTHOR
nautilus-scripts-manager and this manual page were written by Pietro Battiston <me@pietrobattiston.it>. This manual page was written for the Debian project (but may be used by others). July 14, 2009 NAUTILUS-SCRIPTS-MANAGER(1)