Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems installing Solaris 2.6 on E4500 Post 3991 by 98_1LE on Monday 16th of July 2001 05:37:47 PM
Old 07-16-2001
Thanks for the advice. I was using the supplemental CD, but having no luck. So I decided to set up a jumpstart and patch it to produce a patched install image. When I tried to mount the supplent CD on the install server (Sparc 20), it locked up solid and would not even respond on the console port. I had and tried another CD, which mounted fine. I patched the 2.6 install image and the install on the 4500 went flawlessly. The box booted the first time and has been running fine. Though I haven't taken the time to investigate further, I am suspecting the CD was corrupt Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems about installing Solaris 8 on PC

1. OSes coexistence can i install solaris 8 on my pc's 3th primary harddisk partition without damage the user and boot datas of installed operation system? and does i have to install Solaris 8 within several G(such as 8G) size of the harddisk? the following is partition table of my harddisk: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samprax
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems installing perl5

Hi!! I have problems installing perl5 in a Tru64 4.0F enviroment, and i need it to install OpenSSL and OpenSSH to establis a SFTP... I'm installing perl 5.8.8 but an error occurr during make test, i ran ./perl harness and the result is the problem is on op/filetest.t I didn't know what to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: irasela
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Problems Installing Top

I've been trying to install Top on our Solaris box but it's giving me some trouble. The uname -a command shows SunOS servername 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250 I downloaded Top form www.unixtop.com. On the initial install I got errors because I didn't have a C compiler installed.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenLynch
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Problems de-installing NetConnect

I have run into a problem while attempting to de-install netconnect from a Sol8 box. We got an error during the un-install script when it tries to remove SUNWsrsrp. It can't find the srsuser. We have no idea what user was specified initially. I have tried to remove the package on its own, to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i_am_homer
2 Replies

5. Solaris

E4500 Raid

I have a Sun E4500 with some disk attached. Right now, everything is RAID 0 (no mirroring, RAID 5, etc.). Each disk (all 33.6 G) have 1 slice on them. Is it possible to put in RAID 0 or RAID 5? How much data would we lose by doing this? Is it even possible? What software would I use? It is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Will re-installing the Solaris OS help when present OS has problems

Does re-installing the Solaris OS when the existing OS has problems solve the issue? Problem here I mean "FILE SYSTEM BAD" after a fsck and the machine is not rebooting. My doubt also includes the question whether all inodes etc in the hard disk of the Sun machine gets re-formatted when we... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lydiaEd
2 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

problems installing mixmaster 3.0 to solaris 10

hello all, i'm having problems installing mixmaster 3.0 from this site SourceForge.net: Mixmaster. The file I downloaded is mixmaster-3.0.tar.gz. Consulting the readme file of the mixmaster 3.0 says that the libraries for the follwing should be installed - OpenSSL, zlib, pcre, ncurses. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lima
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Problems installing Solaris 10

I just built my new computer with a q6600 quad core, 4 gig ram, Nvidia vidoo card but when I try to install the latest Solaris 10 on it the keyboard is not being detected when the installation starts so I'm unable to go complete the installation. First I tried a USB keyboard and it didn't work,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isomorphic
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Java Problems

Hello, When i attempt to install Java. I get this error code Can someone tell me what im doing wrong. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fob Upset
2 Replies

10. AIX

Installing SAMBA problems

I have created an LPAR and the next step is to get SAMBA installed, I have mounted our NIM server up and copied over the SAMBA binaries .bff files. How do i install these? i tried doing this through SMIT but had no luck..? Any help would be greatly appreciated. AIX OS 6.1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: audis$
2 Replies
patchmedia(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    patchmedia(1M)

NAME
patchmedia - modify Solaris media with patches and packages SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/patchmedia -d media-root [-v] [-o iso] [-l label] pkg_or_patch [pkg_or_patch ...] DESCRIPTION
The patchmedia utility takes a list of patches and packages as input and updates the install miniroot in media-root (the root directory of an on-disk image of a Solaris installation media) to include the specified patches and packages. These patches and packages are also placed in a subdirectory called DU under the Solaris install image. For example: media-root/Solaris_10/DU When booting a system from the updated media, the patches and packages will be part of the booted Solaris image. They will also be applied to the target system being installed at the end of the installation process. If -o is specified, a bootable ISO image is created in the file media.iso that contains the Solaris install media. The ISO image can then be burned onto a CD/DVD with utilities such as cdrw(1) or cdrecord(1). (The latter is not a SunOS man page.) OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d media-root Top-level directory of on-disk image of Solaris installation media. This is option must be specified. -o iso Create a Solaris ISO image of media-root. -l label Label/volume name of the ISO image (if -o option is specified). If -o is not specified, the name of Solaris directory under media-root, for example, Solaris_10, will be used. -v Verbose. Multiple -v options increase verbosity. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pkg_or_patch [pkg_or_patch ...] One or more patches or packages (you can have both patches and packages in a single command) with which the Solaris installation media media-root will be updated. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Updating a Solaris Install Image with Patch and Package The following command updates the Solaris install image in s10u1 by adding patch 123456-07 and package SUNWfoo. # /usr/bin/patchmedia -d s10u1 SUNWfoo 123456-07 ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cdrw(1), mkcd(1M), attributes(5) mkisofs(8), (/usr/share/man/man8/mkisofs.8), in the SUNWfsman package (not a SunOS man page) SunOS 5.11 29 Jul 2008 patchmedia(1M)