Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: linux xmms sound problems
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers linux xmms sound problems Post 39880 by bionicfysh on Wednesday 3rd of September 2003 06:42:18 AM
Old 09-03-2003
Data linux xmms sound problems

Dear all,

I have been using suse linux for as long as I can remember. However, for every installation I get the same problem.

Once the installation is completed, and all of my devices (brand new hardware, from reknown brands) are detected, I decide to start doing some work, and play some music.

However, I use XMMS, and for mosrt things it's quite good.
However very frequently, and with no appararent reason, the sound will change, and the song will end up having a higher pitch, and have a slightly faster tempo.

This could be quite nice for experimenting with sounds, but when you are relaxing to your favorite tune, and all of the suddent, the singer sounds like a 5 year-old, or like a very bad vinyl version, it gets quite frustrating.

I do not have much technical info to give, so please tell me what file I need to read, or provide to help you.

I looked at the .preferences files in my ~/.xmms/ dir, and even forced it not to change (chmod 444),but no can do.

Please help

thanks

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problems with sound card on FreeBSD 4.5

Hi,friends!!! I have a problem with my integrated sound card AC97 on i815 and my version of FreeBSD is 4.5.I know that there is a driver for it called ich.c.gz,but the site containing it is unavaliable now.And is there another driver or some other ideas ? z-z-z-z-z :: email removed :: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kruch
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Xmms Crash in Red Hat 8

I have a 500mhz K6 that I'm running Red Hat 8 on. I use xmms for all my music media playing purposes, but There seems to be an issue between xmms and volume control. Every now and then when I adjust the volume through aumix xmms freezes up and sends the sound into a runaway loop that I cant seem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sound Problems

Hi All I am having difficulty configuring sound on my system an wonder if anyone can help me. xmms refuses to play telling me that oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/sound/dsp): No such file or directory what I have done to try and fix this is 1. create /dev/sound/dsp ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: silvaman
7 Replies

4. Solaris

Sound Problems

My sound is messed up. All I get is white noise when I try to watch Youtube or something. I'm running Solaris 10 SPARC on a Sun Ultra 5, which has a built-in speaker. How do I fix it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Wireless and Sound Problems with HP Pavilion dv7 and Fedora Core 10

I have just bought a new HP Pavilion dv7 notebook (17", AMD Turion) and installed Fedora Core 10. I would like to add that i installed a completely eyecandy-less base system, only then installed a naked x-org Xserver and mwm (Motif Window Manager) on top of it. There is neither KDE nor GNOME nor... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
2 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Sound Effects Dolby,SRS in Linux

Hello all. Can anyone tell me if there is any alternative to Window$ Media Player for LINUX(Linux Mint). What am searching for is a player with sound processing capabilities.(Bass,Equaliser,SRS,Dolby,etc..) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolatt
1 Replies

7. Linux

Can not play sound in Linux RHEL5.

Hi All, Recently I installed Linux RHEL5 on my machine. It seems that I can not play sound on RHEL5. I have real player installed along with RHEL5 but, when I try to play any song, the error message comes up saying "Can not open the audio device.Another application may be using it." Does any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gydave
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

No sound in my Linux

I am not able to run any video file. Getting message something like : no audio facility. Is this may be problem of driver. If so please send me link for the same. I am working on Red Hat Fedora (Linux) (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
16 Replies
SETSID(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         SETSID(1)

NAME
setsid - run a program in a new session SYNOPSIS
setsid [options] program [arguments] DESCRIPTION
setsid runs a program in a new session. The command calls fork(2) if already a process group leader. Otherwise, it executes a program in the current process. OPTIONS
-c, --ctty Set the controlling terminal to the current one. -w, --wait Wait for the execution of the program to end, and return the exit value of this program as the return value of setsid. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. SEE ALSO
setsid(2) AUTHOR
Rick Sladkey <jrs@world.std.com> AVAILABILITY
The setsid command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux July 2014 SETSID(1)