Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting executing variables in ksh scripts? Post 39083 by Perderabo on Wednesday 6th of August 2003 09:53:46 AM
Old 08-06-2003
Use:
RESULT=$(eval $FINDIT)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing perl scripts

Does anybody experiencing this same problem? I am using IRIX64 ver 6.5 at work. I wrote some Perl scripts and to execute it. First I try to put the Perl script at: /$HOME/bin/perlscript then I set the correct executable 755 right to the file I make sure the PATH to the executable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vtran4270
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing Shell Scripts

Hi, I'm pretty new to Unix and I just have a question concerning making a script executable without putting the "sh" command before it. In case it makes the difference I am on an Apple computer using the Terminal. Anyway here is the little test code I wrote followed by the commands I took to try... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BuyoCat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing scripts in Parallel

Hi All, I have 3 shell scripts, Script1,Script2 and Script3. Now I want to run Script1 and Script2 in parallel and Script3 should depend on successful completion of both Script1 and Script2. Could you please suggest an approach of acheiving this... Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsme_maverick
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing shell scripts in a browser

Hi all Im a newbie in shell scripting, i found it joyous creating simple adminitrative scripts, like adding users, modify and delete, remote sw install etc, now i want to intergrate my scripts to make a simple administrative tool, how do i access the scripts via a browser is it possible?? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jefinah
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing several bash scripts in succession

Hi, I am new to shell programming. I am trying to automate setting up a network using several scripts. Some of the scripts require to reboot in order to continue with the setup. Is it possible to enter another script as soon as the system reboots. Also, if the last line of the script is bash... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fantasyland
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing all scripts in /DIR except one

First i need to find all scripts directly under /DIR that end with ".sh" extension except "noallow.sh". That can be done with: find /DIR -maxdepth 1 -name "*.sh"|grep -v "noallow.sh" Now i want to run all the files output from the previous command. The following code: for filename in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH - How to call different scripts from master scripts based on a column in an Oracle table

Dear Members, I have a table REQUESTS in Oracle which has an attribute REQUEST_ACTION. The entries in REQUEST_ACTION are like, ME, MD, ND, NE etc. I would like to create a script which will will call other scripts based on the request action. Can we directly read from the REQUEST_ACTION... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yoodit
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with remotely executing scripts

Hi, in the below command, i export a value to a variable which later is used by the script, however i dont see the exported value is actually been exported. ssh user@host "export var=/path/ ; cd /path/ ; ./script" how can i use the above command with proper value of var remotley (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: suraj.sheikh
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing multiple scripts using if condition

I have an if condition. If that condition is true then one script will be run and after that I need to check another condition based on the output value of first script. i tried like below : cd lock if ; then rm exitup if ; then kb_shutdown kb_startup if ; then rm exitup if ;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: charanarjun
3 Replies
stopping(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       stopping(7)

NAME
stopping - event signalling that a job is stopping SYNOPSIS
stopping JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The stopping event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job begins stopping. The JOB environment variable con- tains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. If the job is stopping normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job is stopping because it has failed it will be failed. When the job has failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable. This may be pre-start, post-start, main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job is stopping because it hit the respawn limit. Finally in the case of a failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop. Either EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received. The normal exit job configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see init(5) for more information. If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed to spawn (for example, file not found). See the system logs for the error. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue stopping. This allows jobs to depend on other jobs, safely stopping themselves before their dependency goes away. This event is typically combined with the started(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopping event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to depend on another service might use: start on started apache stop on stopping apache A task that must be run before another task or service is stopped might use: start on stopping postgresql RESULT=ok SEE ALSO
starting(7) started(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 stopping(7)