Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tracking activities of Users using a particular login. Post 38966 by jyotipg on Friday 1st of August 2003 07:35:22 AM
Old 08-01-2003
Tracking activities of Users using a particular login.

Hi!! Experts,

I have a typical scenario here in which several users have access to a particular login .. say "build".

None of the users know the passwd for this login.
The name of some of the user have been to .rhosts file.
The users can connect only by doing a rlogin to this id and then they can do some set of operations.

I need to to track which user has rlogin to this login and which are the set of command which he has run as "build".

Right now its a chaos. Some user does a rlogin to this ID and mess up the file and I have no way to find the culprit.

Could you suggest any pointers how to track it??

Thanks in Advance.. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Change users login name

Hi, I need to change some users login name in AIX. With solaris i donīt had problems, i have used "usermod". But in AIX the usermod command donīt have the same behavior. Can someone give me a tip on how to perform these changes? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacewalker
9 Replies

2. Linux

Users with login privileges

Hi. I need the name for one command which I cant remember. This command displays all users which can log in to the system, wether they are stored in /etc/passwd, NIS og LDAP. Does anyone remember what command this is? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sprellari
2 Replies

3. Solaris

restricting users privileges and logging their activities

Hello, I'm administrating new installed cluster that runs Legato Networker and Oracle 9. And I want to restrict the use of root to my self and givr the application and DBA the proper and needed privileges to do their duties without hassle in addition I would like to log users activities. my... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh_ksa
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

users login

Hello everyone I need to send to a file the last command from all users who log in and log out by week or month. My questions are I can do it with the command or I need to do a script ? If the answer is I need to do a script, someone can help me because Im complete new to make a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tracking root users

Hi everyone hope you can help me i have 5 root users and the problem with that is how can you see witch root user did what on the box how can you track the users that played on the servers. 1) What commands they typed (in linux you get history ) 2) From witch ip did they connect to the server (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sucram
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

No users can login

Dear Forum, I had this case before, all of sudden all users including root can't login. What done is by connecting to console port and resetting root password, "pwunconv" command, reboot server. My question is, how this can happen??? thanks :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irda
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script in tracking both the passed and failed login in a unix server

Can you help me in providing the following output or a quite similar to this from a shell script ? *** Logins Summary Information ***** ---------------------------------- Failed Login Attempts for Invalid Accounts Date Time IP-ADD Account ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxgeek
0 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

iPlanet Lost Login Tracking

I have been researching if it is possible to track a user's last login within iPlanet LDAP (now called Directory Server) and have thus far found nothing positive, but rather a few articles saying it is not possible. Could someone confirm/deny that iPlanet can/can't track a user's last login... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdian
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for monitoring users activities

hi I need a shell script which runs perpetually in background and monitors different aspects of different users on different files and their usages for example say there r 3 users so i want when they log in i.e. their log in time and their file access, modify and change log of each file of a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrd1986
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tracking users through history command

Hi folks, I have the basic query that there are 3 unix boxes having their individual access now in my team there are 4 members who are using the same credentials to access those 3 boxes through putty ssh from their windows desktop , now if i want to check which 4 members have executed the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies
rlogin(1)						      General Commands Manual							 rlogin(1)

NAME
rlogin - Connects the local host with a remote host SYNOPSIS
rlogin [-8L] [-e character] [-l user] remote_host The remote login command (rlogin) logs into remote_host and connects your local terminal to the remote host. OPTIONS
Allows an 8-bit data path at all times. Otherwise, unless the Stop and Continue key sequences on the remote host are not standard, rlogin uses a 7-bit data path and the eighth (high) bit of each byte is stripped. Changes the Escape character. Substitute the character you choose for character. Changes the remote username to the one you specify. Otherwise, your local username is used at the remote host. Allows the rlogin session to be run in litout mode. In this mode, the escape sequence ~. (where ~ is the escape character) disconnects you from the remote host and the escape sequence ~^Z (where ^Z, or Ctrl-Z, is the suspend character) suspends the rlogin session if you are using csh. DESCRIPTION
The remote terminal type is the same as that given in the local TERM environment variable. The terminal or window size is also the same, if the remote host supports them, and any changes in size are transferred. All echoing takes place at the remote host, so except for delays, the terminal connection is transparent. Pressing the Stop and Continue key sequences stops and starts the flow of information, and the input and output buffers are flushed on Interrupts. The rlogin command can only be used to connect to systems that are running the rlogind daemon. On systems that do not support rlogin, you can use telnet (if supported) as an alternative. If you do not specify the -l option, the local username is used at the remote host. If -l user is specified, the username entered is used at the remote host. In either case, the remote host allows access only if one or both of the following conditions is satisfied: The local host is included in the remote host's /etc/hosts.equiv file, the local user is not the superuser, and the -l user option is not specified. The local host is included in a $HOME/.rhosts file in the home directory of the remote user account. If -l user is specified, the local username must also be included in the file. If neither of these conditions is met and a password is defined for the remote user account, the remote host prompts for a password. The remote password file is checked to verify the password entered, and the login prompt is displayed if the password is not correct. Pressing the End-of-File key sequence at the login prompt ends the remote login attempt. For security reasons, any $HOME/.rhosts file must be owned by either the remote user or the root user and should have permissions set to 600 (read and write by owner only). In addition to the preceding conditions, rlogin also allows access to the remote host if the remote user account does not have a password defined. However, for security reasons, use of a password on all user accounts is recommended. Unless otherwise modified by the -e option, the standard Escape character for disconnecting from the remote host is a ~ (tilde). The Escape character is only recognized by the remote host if it occurs at the beginning of a line. Otherwise, the Escape character is sent to the remote host as a normal character. To send the Escape character to the remote host as a normal character at the beginning of a line, press the Escape character twice. Pressing the Escape character and a (dot) (for example, ~.) immediately disconnects the local terminal from the remote host. EXAMPLES
In the following examples, the local host is listed in the /etc/hosts.equiv file at the remote host: To log in to a remote host with your local username, enter: $ rlogin host2 Password: <Enter password> To log off the remote host and close the connection, enter the End-of-File key sequence. To log in to a remote host with a differ- ent username, enter: $ rlogin host2 -l dale You are prompted to enter your password and then are logged in to the remote host host2 with the username dale. To log in to host2 with the your local username and change the Escape character to (backslash), enter: $ rlogin host2 -e\ FILES
Specifies remote hosts from which users can execute commands on the local host (provided these users have an account on the local host). Specifies remote users who can use a local user account. SEE ALSO
Commands: rcp(1), rsh(1), rlogind(8), telnet(1) Files: rhosts(4) rlogin(1)