Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DOSKEY
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers DOSKEY Post 385 by jimwelch4 on Wednesday 29th of November 2000 11:29:25 PM
Old 11-30-2000
Question

I am a new UNIX user.

I use SCO Openserver 5.

I am also a longtime MS-DOS user (since 1981). There was a program with DOS called DOSKEY. It allowed you to assign a code to an F key; every time you pressed that F key you got the code on the command line. You could put in whatever command you wanted. I am looking for a way to do the same thing in UNIX.

Bearing in mind I know close to nothing about UNIX, is there a way I can do this? I need to put in commands, times, and the date. I would be unable at this time to write a shell script. I have little time to spare, working nights and going to school in the day.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Jim Welch

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Doskey

!HELLO SIR, Is there any Command in UNIX which will work like DOSKEY funcationaly. how can i use DOSKEY in UNIX. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: smdakram
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command similar to doskey

Hello all, I need a help in unix. is there any command in unix similar to doskey in MS Dos. It taked pain to enter the big command again and again.. the up and down arrows do not bring the previous commands on the prompt. so pls let me know if there is any command to enable the doskey kind of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: halel
4 Replies
dxmtools(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dxmtools(1)

NAME
dxmtools - DOS Tools Graphical User Interface for manipulating files on an MSDOS diskette SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dxmtools OPTIONS
DESCRIPTION
The DOS Tools application, dxmtools, uses a graphical user interface to copy files to and from an MSDOS formatted diskette to manipulate files on that diskette, in the same manner as the mtools(1) commands, which are accessed from the command line interface. The DOS Tools application accepts the standard X11 resource options. For more information, see the X(1X) reference page Use the DOS Tools application to: Copy a diskette file to Tru64 UNIX Copy Tru64 UNIX files to the diskette Create a directory on the diskette Delete diskette files Format a diskette Change the diskette volume label Change the archive, read-only, hidden, and system attribute bits on a diskette file Display the contents of a diskette file Find a diskette file by its name, size, or attribute settings Rename a diskette file. MSDOS filenames are optionally composed of a drive letter followed by a colon, optional subdirectories, and a filename. Subdirectory names can use either the '/' or '' separator. The current working directory relative to the diskette is A:/. The regular expression pattern matching routines follow the UNIX-style rules. For example, an asterisk (*), in place of asterisks separated by a dot (.) that is *.*, matches all MSDOS files. The archive, hidden, read-only, and system attribute bits are ignored during pattern matching. The DOS Tools application requires a diskette properly installed on the system. The DOS Tools application addresses a device named /dev/disk/floppy; a symbolic link between the diskette device and /dev/disk/floppy is required. Online help is available for the dxmtools application. To get help, click on any Help button or use the Help pull-down menu. The DOS Tools application can be invoked from: The CDE Application Manager. Application Group: Desktop_Apps Desktop_Apps Subgroup: dxmtools EXAMPLES
Invoke the DOS Tools application from the command line. /usr/bin/X11/dxmtools Open the DOS Tools help volume from the command line without running the application. /usr/dt/bin/dthelpview -h /usr/dt/appconfig/help/C/dxmtools.sdl FILES
DOS Tools executable DOS Tools Help Volume Symbolic link for diskette drive. SEE ALSO
Commands: ln(1), mattrib(1), mcd(1), mcopy(1), mdel(1), mdir(1), mlabel(1), mmd(1), mrd(1), mread(1), mren(1), mtools(1), mtype(1), mwrite(1), X(1X) Diskette interface: fd(7) Utilities: MAKEDEV(8), mknod(8) dxmtools(1)