Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setting ACL's
Special Forums Cybersecurity setting ACL's Post 3842 by andy_kann on Thursday 12th of July 2001 05:28:33 AM
Old 07-12-2001
setting ACL's

Hi all,

How can I set default owning user and default owning group with setfacl on Solaris 2.6 and up ?
My idea is, that when a file is created by user x, and the default owning user is y, the ownership is set to y.
This option is visible in the filemanager, though not editable. I can't find anything about it in the man pages or on the SUN webpage.

Can anyone help me out ?

Thanks,

Andy

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

i can't use 'make' in my computer?

I need to compile a file,but 'make' does not work.please tell me how to use it or need which tools? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsun5
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clearify what it means under 'WHAT' when hit the 'w'-command

I wonder how I shall read the result below, especially 'what' shown below. The result was shown when I entered 'w'. E.g what is TOP? What is gosh ( what does selmgr mean?)? login@ idle JCPU PCPU what 6:15am 7:04 39 39 TOP 6:34am 6:45 45 45 TOP 6:41am ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aelgen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! The '/var/adm/message' file increase every few seconds???

Hi, guys, I have a big problem. I've got a sun solaris 4.1.4 workstation, and the /var/adm/message file will add one row every few seconds. It becomes a large file in a short time. I wander if there are some mistakes configuring the workstation. the /var/adm/message is as follow: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cloudsmell
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

quoting echo 'it's friday'

echo 'it's friday' why appear the > (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a file with a leading dash '-' in it's name?

Somehow someone created a file named '-ov' in the root directory. Given the name, the how was probably the result of some cpio command they bozo'ed. I've tried a number of different ways to get rid of it using * and ? wildcards, '\' escape patterns etc.. They all fail with " illegal option --... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSalisbury
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

What are the differences between 'bash' and 'sh'

Hopefully this doesn't come off as too much of a "newbie" question or a flamebait. But I have recently begun working with a Sun Solaris box after having spent the past five years working with RedHat. From what i can tell, thing look fairly similar and the 'man' command is some help. But I've... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

7. Linux

setting acl on linux

Hi, while setting access control list I am getting error "Operation NOt Supported" Example :user A wants full access on test directory /home/user B/test, I dont want to add in secondary group bcz group has read permission, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. AIX

setting acl

Hi, I want to know how to set acl in aix via smitty and shell prompt, wheather we needs to install additional packages. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting up ACL in Apache

Folks; How can i setup ACL in Apache so i can give a group of users (defined by their emails (all users under *@red.com) access to a web page? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help setting ACL's

Folks, Solaris 10 issue When I add a new directory to a path, I only get the "group@" line in the ACL The parent directory ACL is drwxrws---+ 12 root teama 12 Jul 18 10:31 . owner@:rwxp-DaARWc---:------:allow group@:rwxp-DaARWc--s:fd----:allow ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilberforce
0 Replies
getfacl(1)							   User Commands							getfacl(1)

NAME
getfacl - display discretionary file information SYNOPSIS
getfacl [-ad] file... DESCRIPTION
For each argument that is a regular file, special file, or named pipe, the getfacl utility displays the owner, the group, and the Access Control List (ACL). For each directory argument, getfacl displays the owner, the group, and the ACL and/or the default ACL. Only directo- ries contain default ACLs. The getfacl utility may be executed on a file system that does not support ACLs. It reports the ACL based on the base permission bits. With no options specified, getfacl displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and both the ACL and the default ACL, if it exists. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and the ACL of the file. -d Displays the filename, the file owner, the file group owner, and the default ACL of the file, if it exists. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file The path name of a regular file, special file, or named pipe. OUTPUT
The format for ACL output is as follows: # file: filename # owner: uid # group: gid user::perm user:uid:perm group::perm group:gid:perm mask:perm other:perm default:user::perm default:user:uid:perm default:group::perm default:group:gid:perm default:mask:perm default:other:perm When multiple files are specified on the command line, a blank line separates the ACLs for each file. The ACL entries are displayed in the order in which they are evaluated when an access check is performed. The default ACL entries that may exist on a directory have no effect on access checks. The first three lines display the filename, the file owner, and the file group owner. Notice that when only the -d option is specified and the file has no default ACL, only these three lines are displayed. The user entry without a user ID indicates the permissions that are granted to the file owner. One or more additional user entries indi- cate the permissions that are granted to the specified users. The group entry without a group ID indicates the permissions that are granted to the file group owner. One or more additional group entries indicate the permissions that are granted to the specified groups. The mask entry indicates the ACL mask permissions. These are the maximum permissions allowed to any user entries except the file owner, and to any group entries, including the file group owner. These permissions restrict the permissions specified in other entries. The other entry indicates the permissions that are granted to others. The default entries may exist only for directories. These entries indicate the default entries that are added to a file created within the directory. The uid is a login name or a user ID if there is no entry for the uid in the system password file, /etc/passwd. The gid is a group name or a group ID if there is no entry for the gid in the system group file, /etc/group. The perm is a three character string composed of the let- ters representing the separate discretionary access rights: r (read), w (write), x (execute/search), or the place holder character -. The perm is displayed in the following order: rwx. If a permission is not granted by an ACL entry, the place holder character appears. If you use the chmod(1) command to change the file group owner permissions on a file with ACL entries, both the file group owner permis- sions and the ACL mask are changed to the new permissions. Be aware that the new ACL mask permissions may change the effective permissions for additional users and groups who have ACL entries on the file. In order to indicate that the ACL mask restricts an ACL entry, getfacl displays an additional tab character, pound sign (#), and the actual permissions granted, following the entry. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Displaying file information Given file foo, with an ACL six entries long, the command host% getfacl foo would print: # file: foo # owner: shea # group: staff user::rwx user:spy:--- user:mookie:r-- group::r-- mask::rw- other::--- Example 2: Displaying information after chmod command Continue with the above example, after chmod 700 foo was issued: host% getfacl foo would print: # file: foo # owner: shea # group: staff user::rwx user:spy:--- user:mookie:r-- #effective:--- group::--- mask::--- other::--- Example 3: Displaying information when ACL contains default entries Given directory doo, with an ACL containing default entries, the command host% getfacl -d doo would print: # file: doo # owner: shea # group: staff default:user::rwx default:user:spy:--- default:user:mookie:r-- default:group::r-- default:mask::--- default:other::--- FILES
/etc/passwd system password file /etc/group group file ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
chmod(1), ls(1), setfacl(1), acl(2), aclsort(3SEC), group(4), passwd(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The output from getfacl is in the correct format for input to the setfacl -f command. If the output from getfacl is redirected to a file, the file may be used as input to setfacl. In this way, a user may easily assign one file's ACL to another file. SunOS 5.10 5 Nov 1994 getfacl(1)