Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remote Login (Unix)
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remote Login (Unix) Post 3806 by Neo on Wednesday 11th of July 2001 07:39:47 PM
Old 07-11-2001
The first step in blocking remote logins is also one of the first steps everyone should do after bringing up a new server:

(1) Edit the /etc/inetd.conf file and comment out all services you will not immediately need;

(2) Examples (for me) include all the r* commands, finger, etc.

This is critical for security and is just a good practice. Don't leave these services running unless you actively use them.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remote login

Hi i have recently switched to unix environment,i am trying to make a shell script which logs on to the remote machines and plays some commands and collects the out put into a file.but i am not able to create any file on remote hosts.see the sample code . rsh hostname -l username << ENDTAG... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote login with VNC

Hi Everyone, Well I am not sure if this right forum. I have install Redhat 5 enterprise. I have everything running. I have configured vncserver. Starts with out errors. I am trying to connect for a XP machine to my RedHat server. I can connect from my XP machine through VNC viewer but I get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Peterh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remote Login in to another Terminal

hi all , i need the command for remote login in to another terminal, came accross by using "tty" command. please suggest and help me out in this. Regrds Sridhar. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sridhar_dev
1 Replies

4. AIX

remote login problem

dear all, i have a problem, when i try to login to CDE on AIX remotely using xmanager i get a dead screen. any solution thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bondoq
1 Replies

5. Linux

How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box?

Hi, How to find remote Linux box login account without login in to that box? I don't have login account at my remote Linux box. But I need who are all having login account. How do I findout? Thanks, --Muthu. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muthuselvan
3 Replies

6. Programming

Sockets for remote login

Hi, i have written a program that provides the remote login for the system whose IP is specified. the program is working correctly on the same machine but its not working when i try to communicate with the other system. i am attaching both client and server programs. Please help. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrUser
1 Replies

7. Solaris

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/usr password

how to login with ssh to remote system with out applying the remote root/user password with rlogin we can ujse .rhosts file but with ssh howits possible plz guide (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Triggering remote UNIX shell script from Remote desktop

I m trying to run a batch script in remote desktop which executes unix commands on the unix server...the problem is i wnt the output in HTML format.so in my batch script i m giving the cmd like ssh hostname path ksh HC_Report.ksh>out.html ...but it generates the HTML file in remote desktop .i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: navsan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Do I require remote login access to a windows server to transfer files from a UNIX server

Hi All I need to transfer a file from a UNIX server to a windows server. I saw that it is possible to do this using scp command by looking at the forum listed below: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
2 Replies

10. Programming

Remote login UNIX box from java passing parameters to the custom script called in the profile

Hello Good Day / Guten Tag.... I have to login the server and the user profile contains some scripts which need the inputs to be taken from the keyboard. So I use the method to conn.authenticateWithKeyboardInteractive(username, new InteractiveCallback() { public String... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanalkumaran
1 Replies
services(4)							   File Formats 						       services(4)

NAME
services - Internet services and aliases SYNOPSIS
/etc/inet/services /etc/services DESCRIPTION
The services file is a local source of information regarding each service available through the Internet. The services file can be used in conjunction with or instead of other services sources, including the NIS maps "services.byname" and the NIS+ table "services." Programs use the getservbyname(3SOCKET) routines to access this information. The services file contains an entry for each service. Each entry has the form: service-name port/protocol aliases service-name This is the official Internet service name. port/protocol This field is composed of the port number and protocol through which the service is provided, for instance, 512/tcp. aliases This is a list of alternate names by which the service might be requested. Fields can be separated by any number of SPACE and/or TAB characters. A number sign (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; any charac- ters that follow the comment character up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. Service names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, a NEWLINE, or a comment character. Any changes to a port assignment do not affect the actual port registration of the service. FILES
/etc/nsswitch.conf configuration file for name-service switch SEE ALSO
getservbyname(3SOCKET), inetd.conf(4), nsswitch.conf(4) NOTES
/etc/inet/services is the official SVR4 name of the services file. The symbolic link /etc/services exists for BSD compatibility. SunOS 5.10 12 Oct 2000 services(4)