Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mounting...?
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Mounting...? Post 37966 by mo0ness on Thursday 3rd of July 2003 03:31:28 AM
Old 07-03-2003
Mounting...?

Hi everyone, this is the first time I have ever properly used Linux - I run Red Hat Linux 8. I have two hardrives, my main 80gig, and my "extra" 15gig, I would like to be able to gain access to my 15gig and view the files. I know to view files on a floppy disk or a cd you need to mount the drives; I am *assuming* you do this with the hard drives also. If so; could someone please kinda advice me on how to mount this drive properly so I can gain access to it? Thanks alot for everyones time Smilie.

Edit: Incase it makes any difference, the hardrive is NTFS formated.

I tried to mount as such:

$ mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb /mnt/hdd2

But I get an output error of:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb, or too many mounted file systems

Thanks once again Smilie

Last edited by mo0ness; 07-03-2003 at 05:32 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Mounting root

Hello, How do I mount root on networked machines in Solaris 2.5 and 7? I did it before but I lost the clue. Was it something in vfstab? root=? I want to give some machines or users rootaccess on other machines on the lan. Do I specify users or machines at the root is option? Thanks in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Albert
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting cdrom on DG/UX

Hi, I'm looking to mount a cd on an old AViiON system we have. No one here really has any expertise with this platform so any help will be appreciated. I * think* the device is sd(apsc(pci(1),B,0,7),5,0), however I'm not sure at all. Thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madesjardins
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting help.

Hello, I am trying to mount a second scsi hard drive on a SCO box. (5.0.5.) And I can't figure out what the device file for it is so I can mount it. Can anyone help me? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iconn
1 Replies

4. BSD

Mounting

Hi I mounted disk which have two partition C: , D: ( i am not sure if both partition have same file system) with this commad: mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad2s1 /mnt/windows but this is mounted only first partition with fat file system. ( in windows XP C: ) How can i mount another partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sniper007
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting fs ext3

I'm trying to find a correct command that will mount a filesystem ext3 the device /dev/sda1 to mount point /mnt/usb but not allow any programs to run from it. I want to be honest as I've read the forum rules... This is a homework question BUT, i'm generally interested in the correct process and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CasperQuiet
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with mounting my USB

My previous post seems to be erased and I didn't get any help. I'm logged as root now but no mounting command seems to work, I've tried: Mount -t vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/USB Changing "sdc1" for hda1-7, and sdc1-7, and still nothing. Sometimes i get: "special device not found" and others "device... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dax01
4 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

mounting

I generally use mount many times to mount an iso image or as a bind between directories or mounting a squash file system. Y does one require root permission to do a mount --bind between two of his own directories or just mount an iso/squash image in directory he owns? Also I wish mount had an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbala
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mounting

I have a big confusion in mounting........so please tell me whats the exact meaning of it nd do other os have this concept or not? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mac91
8 Replies

9. HP-UX

Mounting LUN on HP 11.31

Hello, I want monting a LUN on a RX2660 I have created a LUN of 100Go with HP StorageWorks EVA and associated to my server. For the moment I see it with the command below but after i can't used it # ioscan -fnkC disk Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: letters
10 Replies
mount_pcfs(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    mount_pcfs(1M)

NAME
mount_pcfs - mount pcfs file systems SYNOPSIS
mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special | mount_point mount -F pcfs [generic_options] [-o FSType-specific_options] special mount_point DESCRIPTION
mount attaches an MS-DOS file system (pcfs) to the file system hierarchy at the mount_point, which is the pathname of a directory. If mount_point has any contents prior to the mount operation, these are hidden until the file system is unmounted. If mount is invoked with special or mount_point as the only arguments, mount will search /etc/vfstab to fill in the missing arguments, including the FSType-specific_options; see mount(1M) for more details. The special argument can be one of two special device file types: o A floppy disk, such as /dev/diskette0 or /dev/diskette1. o A DOS logical drive on a hard disk expressed as device-name:logical-drive , where device-name specifies the special block device-file for the whole disk and logical-drive is either a drive letter (c through z) or a drive number (1 through 24). Examples are /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:c and /dev/dsk/c0t0d0p0:1. The special device file type must have a formatted MS-DOS file system with either a 12-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit File Allocation Table. OPTIONS
generic_options See mount(1M) for the list of supported options. -o Specify pcfs file system specific options. The following options are supported: foldcase|nofoldcase Force uppercase characters in filenames to lowercase when reading them from the filesystem. This is for compatibility with the pre- vious behavior of pcfs. The default is nofoldcase. FILES
/etc/mnttab table of mounted file systems /etc/vfstab list of default parameters for each file system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mount(1M), mountall(1M), mount(2), mnttab(4), vfstab(4), attributes(5), pcfs(7FS) NOTES
If the directory on which a file system is to be mounted is a symbolic link, the file system is mounted on the directory to which the sym- bolic link refers, rather than on top of the symbolic link itself. SunOS 5.10 24 Nov 2003 mount_pcfs(1M)