Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: FreeBSD
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers FreeBSD Post 37662 by google on Tuesday 24th of June 2003 08:28:59 PM
Old 06-24-2003
What is FreeBSD?
FreeBSD is an advanced operating system for x86 compatible, DEC Alpha, IA-64, PC-98 and UltraSPARC architectures. It is derived from BSD, the version of UNIX® developed at the University of California, Berkeley. It is developed and maintained by a large team of individuals. Additional platforms are in various stages of development.

FreeBSD Org
As for who uses it? On the site noted above you can find a list of companies (a partial list mind you). Here is a link

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help with FreeBSD!!!

Hi I want to write to my output_file using: if((fptr = creat(output_file, _S_IWRITE)) == -1) { printf("output_file..."..); return (1); } for(...) { _write(fptr, buffer, BUF_SIZE); } It says "_S_IWRITE" undeclared!!! Anybody knows what function I can use for that and what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lacasa
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD

I am on AOL now,and i am using 56 k,i was gonna install FreeBSD,but i dont know if aol works on BSD,or my modem. Do they work on BSD? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kita
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Freebsd 4.5

i am new at unix and am VERY confused about the compression processes. what progs do i need to unzip and zip files? there must be a standard one similar to winzip? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mindscan
1 Replies

4. BSD

FreeBSD 5.2.1

I want someone tell me the positives and negatives points of FreeBSD 5.2.1, if someone help me, i thanks a lot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
4 Replies

5. BSD

I want the Best FREEBSD

B]I want the best of the best FreeBSD version for my study in Unix...please sugest me... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: israel
5 Replies

6. BSD

Having problem with FreeBSD 5.3

I just download the FreeBSD 5.3 i386 iso files. And I have a problem now, I can't copy the 5.3-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso to the cd, I try a lot of times, even change lots of blank cd to try but still cannot. But I can copy the other three iso files, i.e. 5.3-RELEASE-i386-bootonly.iso,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarbageKing
4 Replies

7. BSD

please help me in FreeBSD

Hi to all, Iam doing a project in Free BSD and i am stuck with a puzzle. Please any one of you clarify my doubt : How to add a mechanism to check the status of the file system which alerts the root user via. email if any single partition is greater than 90% full. This alert should include the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tadakamalla
3 Replies

8. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

9. Fedora

FreeBSD

I'm using Windows mostly and the only *nix thing I used during my life was cygwin (I like command line :)). But currently I have (by an occasion) a DVD with latest FreeBSD. I don't know why, but I want to install it... But probably, this OS is too difficult for a beginner. I heard, it's used on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeenageWerewolf
3 Replies
HYPER-V(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						HYPER-V(4)

NAME
hv_ata_pci_disengage -- Hyper-V ATA PCI Disengage driver SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following lines in the system kernel configuration file: device hyperv DESCRIPTION
The hv_ata_pci_disengage driver prevents the native FreeBSD ATA driver from loading in the presence of Hyper-V. FreeBSD guests running on Hyper-V can take advantage of the Hyper-V Storage Virtual Consumer (hv_storvsc(4)) for using their IDE devices. Since the ATA driver serves IDE devices as well, there is a chance that the ATA driver may interfere with the operations of hv_storvsc(4). The hv_ata_pci_disengage driver avoids conflicts between the ATA driver and hv_storvsc(4) by disabling the ATA driver when the FreeBSD guest is booting. A side effect of disabling the ATA driver is that CDROM may become inoperational on FreeBSD guest partitions. If CDROM access is a must then users may use "set hw.ata.disk_enable=1" at boot time to prevent the ATA driver from being disabled. SEE ALSO
hv_netvsc(4), hv_storvsc(4), hv_utils(4), hv_vmbus(4) HISTORY
Support for hv_ata_pci_disengage first appeared in FreeBSD 10.0. The driver was developed through a joint effort between Citrix Incorpo- rated, Microsoft Corporation, and Network Appliance Incorporated. AUTHORS
FreeBSD support for hv_ata_pci_disengage was first added by Microsoft BSD Integration Services Team <bsdic@microsoft.com>. BSD
September 10, 2013 BSD