Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: newbie question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers newbie question Post 3714 by loitschix on Tuesday 10th of July 2001 09:10:10 AM
Old 07-10-2001
info solaris...

hi ninja.

first thing: linux is a port of unix for pc-architecture. unix is designed for risc-processor erchitecture (32/64 bit). but there are many ports for x86-architecture ("normal pc`s") like redhat-linux, susu-linux, and also "sun solaris for intel".

the problem is: unix is not unix. every unix (hp-ux, aix, solaris, sinix etc...) have its own special "territory". i am working sinze 7 years with unix (zertified sun, AIX & hp-ux sysadmin/networkspezialist), but for every reason you can use your special unix.

i think the "easyest-to-learn" unix is sun solaris. you can get it from sun for free, only paying shipping. you can get it for inetel or sparc. the best to learn would be a sparc-sun station, but i think for the beginning it is o.k. to install intel solaris on a personal computer.

attached find a link which pc-hardware is supported:

http://docs.sun.com/ab2/coll.214.7/x...Enc=iso-8859-1

alternative you can use linux, but attention! linux is "the best of all unix-worlds". when you work with linux, you will miss a lot of commands/options/functions on other systems.

if you have got more questions, ask!

cheers, alex...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

I am fairly new to *nix/linux and I have just installed SuSe 8.2. I am wondering what skills would be good to learn. I know that I will need to learn how to write scripts, but what scripting languages should I learn. I greatly appreciate any and all comments. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ntalektual
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

Hi, I have a file, that is delimited by :: and the purpose of this file is none of your business. ;) There are about 65000 lines in this file, and there are lines that I would like to remove. About 45000 of them. Is there some sort of commands that I can run, to remove word(s) from this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3gh05t
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very new newbie question

sorry if im not asking inthe right spot but, how do you turn the beeping off every time you hit a key onthe keyboard. I tried the click -n but it told me it didnt recognize click any help would be greatly appreciated ( the beeping is not going over well in the surrounding cubicles) thank you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Split100
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

I am taking a db classes toward oracle 10g. I am taking unix as well . I need to know what is the best option for os . should I use linux fedora. or get a sun box and start learning from there. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question?

What is the best way to learn UNIX on the web, with out buying books? any link would be much help. Thank you in advance, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsoria1
1 Replies

7. Programming

Newbie question

Dear all, I have a question related to parallel programing and if you can give me some hints on how to deal with it, it would be really great. I would like to run a small application on a supercompter of 128 CPUs. Unfortunately, on this machine only jobs which require 32 CPUs are allowed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eduard
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

Hi all, I am sure this is very simple but I cant quite get it. I am trying to search textfile1.txt for a string then take the results of the search and append the result to textfile3.txt So far I have used $ find file1.txt -exec grep "string i am looking for" '{}' \; -print this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radgator
2 Replies
machid(1)							   User Commands							 machid(1)

NAME
machid, sun, iAPX286, i286, i386, i486, i860, pdp11, sparc, u3b, u3b2, u3b5, u3b15, vax, u370 - get processor type truth value SYNOPSIS
sun iAPX286 i386 pdp11 sparc u3b u3b2 u3b5 u3b15 vax u370 DESCRIPTION
The following commands will return a true value (exit code of 0) if you are using an instruction set that the command name indicates. sun True if you are on a Sun system. iAPX286 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX286 processor. i386 True if you are on a computer using an iAPX386 processor. pdp11 True if you are on a PDP-11/45tm or PDP-11/70tm. sparc True if you are on a computer using a SPARC-family processor. u3b True if you are on a 3B20 computer. u3b2 True if you are on a 3B2 computer. u3b5 True if you are on a 3B5 computer. u3b15 True if you are on a 3B15 computer. vax True if you are on a VAX-11/750tm or VAX-11/780tm. u370 True if you are on an IBM(R) System/370tm computer. The commands that do not apply will return a false (non-zero) value. These commands are often used within makefiles (see make(1S)) and shell scripts (see sh(1)) to increase portability. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
make(1S), sh(1), test(1), true(1), uname(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The machid family of commands is obsolete. Use uname -p and uname -m instead. SunOS 5.11 5 Jul 1990 machid(1)