Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Open Group suing Apple over "Unix" Post 37106 by Karma on Thursday 12th of June 2003 02:40:27 PM
Old 06-12-2003
Can't we all just get along?
I can't wait to see the day when I can say UNIX in an IRC channel and not be flamed by pro-linux or pro-bsd purists (or their influenced script kiddies). If the open group is truly open, why then do they feel the need to charge royalties?

Thanks for the link.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies

2. Solaris

A NEW version of "boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix "

Ok, I found this article: https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/19665-boot-cannot-open-kernel-sparcv9-unix.html However it doesn't quite describe my situation. I have created a jumpstart DVD that works great, and installs my customized Solaris-10 (Yes 10, not 8 or 9 per previous posts) . It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biea
6 Replies

3. SuSE

VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file"

keep getting an error when I try to revert to a snapshot: "VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file" Im using vmware server 1.0.4, host OS is windows xp and guest OS is SLES. Is there anything I can do to recover the snapshot or am I in trouble!?!?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix"

Hi All, I have installed Solaris 10 on my AMD 64 3000+ system. I was playing with grub commands eeprom and bootadm commands. I screwed my boot-file and now am unable to boot the system. Gets error msg as "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix". I booted the system is filesafe and tried update the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath K V
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. SCO

sco unix backward compatibility on "max open file per process"

Hi How to increase maximum number of open file in "sco xenix binary" running in "sco unix openserver 5.0.7" ? I have changed "NOFILES" kernel parameter to 512, but xenix binray can't open more than 60. tnx (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: javad1_maroofi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with UNIX "File Open" Error

We have a script that runs and picks up some files to later be used in Oracle. Every now and again we get a ERROR 'filename' file is open We know for a fact the files are not open. The files are created early morning and not used until the next morning by the script. If we manually open the file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: randybrazil
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies
news(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   news(1)

NAME
news - Writes system news items to standard output SYNOPSIS
news [-a|-n|-s] | [item...] The news command keeps you informed of news concerning the system. OPTIONS
Displays all news items, regardless of the currency time. The currency time does not change. Reports the names of current news items without displaying their contents. The currency time does not change. Reports the number of current news items without displaying their names or contents. The currency time does not change. DESCRIPTION
Each news item is contained in a separate file in the /usr/news directory. Anyone having read/write permission to this directory can cre- ate a news file. If you run the news command without any options, it displays the current files in /usr/news, beginning with the most recent. You can also specify the items you want displayed. Each file is preceded by an appropriate header. To avoid reporting old news, news stores a currency time. The news command considers your currency time to be the modification time of the file named $HOME/.news_time. Each time you read the news, the modification time of this file changes to that of the reading. Only news item files posted after this time are considered current. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence during the display of a news item stops the display of that item and starts the next. Pressing the Interrupt key sequence again ends news. Most users run news each time they log in by including the following line in their $HOME/.profile file or in the system's /etc/profile: news -n EXAMPLES
To display the items that were posted since you last read the news, enter: news To display all the news items, enter: news -a | pg This displays all the news items a page at a time, regardless of whether you have read them yet. To list the names of the news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -n Each name is a file in the /usr/news directory. To display specific news items, enter: news newusers services This displays news about newusers and services, which are names listed by news -n. To display the number of news items that you have not read yet, enter: news -s To post news for everyone to read, enter: cp schedule /usr/news This copies the file schedule into the system news directory ( /usr/news) to create the file /usr/news/schedule. To do this, you must have write permission for /usr/news. FILES
System profile. News files. Indicates the last time news was read. SEE ALSO
Commands: pg(1) news(1)