Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NIX master in 30 days?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NIX master in 30 days? Post 37065 by RTM on Wednesday 11th of June 2003 12:24:44 PM
Old 06-11-2003
See this other interview

A master in a month? I've done it since 1992 and don't consider myself a master - good luck.

As far as differences - HP, AIX, Solaris, SCO, Redhat, and all the others have different commands as far as administration. If you can 'master' Redhat then at least you have a base to build the others. Just remember, each has a cpu(s), disks, memory. The logic is the same just implemented differently with different commands. Most 'user' commands are the same. If you know what OS the company runs, then go in that direction - if not or if you are just trying anything, pick one and learn it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

*nix newb needs books

I am a total newbie to *nix systems. I can already see however that this is an important o/s and i must learn to use it. I also am aware that the information on how to use linux/unix is out there but it all relies on my knowing alot more about ths "nix's" then i do. What i'm asking, inshort, is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shifty
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for something like Citrix for *nix

Hi, I don't mean the client.... I mean the server - I have the client to connect to a windows citrix server already. The next best thing I can use at present is VNC (I only want remote desktop, not application sharing specifically). The thing with VNC is that when you go on you are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls latest 4 days or specify days of files in the directory

Hi, I would like to list latest 2 days, 3 days or 4 days,etc of files in the directory... how? is it using ls? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance data, *nix

Hello, I want to write a tool which fetches performance data from remote machines. Sounds easy? well there are some requirements: No extra "client" software should be needed on the hosts, remote shell access (e.g. SSH) should be enough. -> I'm limited to a small amount of tools. I want CPU,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eliteforce
8 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

radio/airwaves *nix?

hey there, new to the forums here. long story short, i have interests in both HAM radio and *nix OS's and want to start a project that will combine the two. so, the question is: are there any *nix flavors or other distros that were specifically designed for radio/airwave communications, or... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BartlettMagic
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which is the most secure *nix?

Which is the most secure *nix for home business/ office use? Would have to be fairly well up to date browser and drivers wise. Myself I seem to have settled on RedHat - I've trialled the Desktop, and am part-way through a server trial. I've essentially not managed to keep the browser as secure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
2 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How can I replicate master master and master master MySQL databse replication and HA?

I have an application desigend in PHP and MySQl running on apache web server that I is running on a Amazon EC2 server Centos. I want to implement the master-master and master slave replication and high availability disaster recovery on this application database. For this I have created two... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Palak Sharma
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding guidance to learn *NIX more and more

Hello All, This Poll/thread is for views of all forum user regarding following point: There are many people in this forum who are actually not actually working on *NIX(admin or real scripting/automation part) but they are/have learnt scripting and trying to help/guide/advice/sharing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
11 Replies
GIT-REMOTE-FD(1)						    Git Manual							  GIT-REMOTE-FD(1)

NAME
git-remote-fd - Reflect smart transport stream back to caller SYNOPSIS
"fd::<infd>[,<outfd>][/<anything>]" (as URL) DESCRIPTION
This helper uses specified file descriptors to connect to a remote Git server. This is not meant for end users but for programs and scripts calling git fetch, push or archive. If only <infd> is given, it is assumed to be a bidirectional socket connected to remote Git server (git-upload-pack, git-receive-pack or git-upload-achive). If both <infd> and <outfd> are given, they are assumed to be pipes connected to a remote Git server (<infd> being the inbound pipe and <outfd> being the outbound pipe. It is assumed that any handshaking procedures have already been completed (such as sending service request for git://) before this helper is started. <anything> can be any string. It is ignored. It is meant for providing information to user in the URL in case that URL is displayed in some context. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
GIT_TRANSLOOP_DEBUG If set, prints debugging information about various reads/writes. EXAMPLES
git fetch fd::17 master Fetch master, using file descriptor #17 to communicate with git-upload-pack. git fetch fd::17/foo master Same as above. git push fd::7,8 master (as URL) Push master, using file descriptor #7 to read data from git-receive-pack and file descriptor #8 to write data to same service. git push fd::7,8/bar master Same as above. DOCUMENTATION
Documentation by Ilari Liusvaara and the Git list <git@vger.kernel.org[1]> GIT
Part of the git(1) suite NOTES
1. git@vger.kernel.org mailto:git@vger.kernel.org Git 1.8.3.1 06/10/2014 GIT-REMOTE-FD(1)