Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What utility do I use for this? Post 3689 by loitschix on Monday 9th of July 2001 05:42:06 PM
Old 07-09-2001
3th column...

hi folks.

there are different ways to display a column. we take a file "text.txt" with the following content for testing:

Alex the bad guy.
Mike the good guy.
Susi is not a guy.

the best way to display the 3th column (bad, good, not) is:

cat text.txt | awk '{print $3}'

you can use "cut", too. (see man cut).

b.r.
alex

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip utility on HP-UX

where can i find an zip utility similar than windows zip for HP-UX? Jesus (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgutierrez29
1 Replies

2. Programming

MAKE utility

I wrote a makefile, every thing is working fine, But One of the C header files which is created by me is kept in a different folder other than the current directory, I have given this PATH to VPATH Variable Example :- VPATH = /home/user1/projects/victor.h It gives an error as : file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorvvk
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Make utility

Hi Guys, I m very confused about the make/makefile utility in all unix. 1) My questions is why we need make. 2) Why some source code needs to complile. 3) I download the Bind 9 from Sunfreeware.com. I use pkgadd -d to install the bind. I 'm struck here becasue I can't find /etc/named.conf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigmoon
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

kcalarm utility

Hi Does anybody know is there is any troubleshooting for kcalarm? How can i see what parameter exceded it's range while running command fr monitoring "any parameter"? Thanks :o (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_mouse
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shred utility

Hi experts. We have a HP-Unix server, we deleted some files and folders from the server. Is there any utilities that we can use to ensure those deleted files and folders are not recoverable? We used rm command to delete these files. Cheers, RT:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robtseng
1 Replies

6. AIX

Help with nmon utility

We have processes that run on our AIX box that sometimes run away and end up consuming 99% of the CPU. I'd like to create a script that would attempt to monitor when this happens and send an email alert with the PID and CPU %. Has anyone done such a thing? I know that you can run the nmon output to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssmith001
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

utility

hi experts, Can you please help me out in removing delimiters with in double quotes from a CSV file. input: ===== a,"bnn,",dgd, "sagfh,dj",ad output ===== a,"bnn",dgd, "sagfhdj",ad there are so mnay fileds in a row and there are millions of rows. Thanks in an advance.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
6 Replies

8. Programming

make utility

Hi, Could someone tell me why make utility is mostly preferred for compilation and generating executable in UNIX rather than any user created scripts which contains commands for compilation? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Unzip a file using unzip utility for files zipped without zip utility ?

Hi, I need to zip/compress a data file and send to a vendor. The vendor does have only unzip utility and can accept only .ZIP files. I do not have zip utility in my server. How do I zip/compress the file so that it can be deflated using unzip command ? I tried gzip & compress commands, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dialog utility

Hi, I am new to shell scripting, started learning script before one month. I can't understand the below script. dialog --title "Inputbox - To take input from you" --backtitle "Linux Shell\ Script Tutorial" --inputbox "Enter your name please" 8 60 2>/tmp/input.$$ In this script they are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj1983
1 Replies
uutry(1)						      General Commands Manual							  uutry(1)

NAME
uutry - Tries to contact remote system with debugging on SYNOPSIS
uutry [system] DESCRIPTION
The uutry command is a shell that invokes uucico to call a remote site, system. Debugging is turned on (level 9). The debugging output is put into the file /tmp/system. A tail -f on this file is executed so that the debugging output is printed on the terminal during execu- tion. Typing the Interrupt key sequence gives control back to the terminal while uucico continues to run, putting its output in /tmp/sys- tem. The uutry command overrides any retry period for a remote system and will attempt to establish a connection immediately. The output file, /tmp/system is overwritten each time uutry is executed to system. FILES
On a given system, this file contains a list of remote sites accessible through the UUCP protocol. The primary security file for uucp which specifies access permissions for remote systems. Contains information about devices on the local system that can establish a connec- tion to a remote computer using the uucp program. The spool directory where uucp maintains its temporary work files. Contains lock files that prevent multiple uses of devices and multiple calls to systems. Called the public directory on a given system, UUCP uses it for send- ing and receiving information; ~uucp is a brief way of specifying it. A file created by uutry to contain traces generated by uucico while connecting to system, system. SEE ALSO
Commands: uucico(8) uutry(1)