Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: View tape Info?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers View tape Info? Post 36050 by Cameron on Monday 19th of May 2003 08:37:13 PM
Old 05-19-2003
Hi again,

Tried : dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/tape obs=516 with no success.

Contents of the tape could still be read.

Any other suggestions to erasing the tape??

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

? View A Backup Tape

I AM A NEWBIE PLEASE HELP!! IF YOU HAVE KSH YOU SHOULD USE A TAR COMMAND HOW DO YOU VIEW A TAPE WITH JUST AN SH. MY MIS CRASHED AND I KEEP GETTING AN ERROR MESSAGE CANNOT FORK: TOO MANY PROCESSES :confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NOT A CLUE
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

How to view all files on DAT tape

I'm using tar and so far so good, but how can I view ALL files without having to fast forward and rewind the tape? Let's say I append 100 files onto the tape. Having to fast forward 100 times until I find the file I want is kinda tedious. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdotsen
3 Replies

6. AIX

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optimum
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

View tape backup files on RHEL5 Operating System

I have an AIX server with a tape Library residing on it. I intend to restore the data backed up to the tape on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5. First , i would want to view the contents of the tape on RHEL 5(x86) but seems to be giving an input output error. I observed that if i backup to tape on... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: optimum
20 Replies

8. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

Moving from Desktop View to Mobile View

See attached video for a demo on how to move back and forth from the desktop view to the mobile view. Currently this only works for the home page, but I will work on some new PHP code in the future to make this work with the page we are currently on. Edit: The issue with making every page ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
dds-dd(1)						      General Commands Manual							 dds-dd(1)

NAME
dds-dd - tool to read a dds device. SYNOPSIS
dds-dd [ -f device ] DESCRIPTION
dds-dd reads a dds tape devices (DAT). Every block is read and written to stdout. A tape with unknown block size or blocks of different size can be read. The default device is /dev/rmt0, which may be overridden with the environment variable TAPE, which in turn may be overridden with the -f device option. The device must be a character special file. OPTIONS
-f device Device of the tape archive (default is /dev/rmt0). Must be a character special file connected to a dds tape device. -V,--version Print the version number of mt-dds to stderr and exit immediately. --help print some screens of online help with examples through a pager and exit immediately. EXAMPLES
Example: Read the tape and make a listing: dds-dd | tar ft - Example: Read the tape and make a listing: dds-dd | cpio -it ENVIRONMENT
The environment variable TAPE overrides the default tape device /dev/rmt0. SEE ALSO dds2tar(1), dds2index(1), mt(1), tar(1) HISTORY
This program was created to use it in conjunction with dds2tar. AUTHOR
J"org Weule (weule@cs.uni-duesseldorf.de), Phone +49 211 751409. This software is available at ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de:/pub/unix/apollo 2.4 dds-dd(1)