Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX version standards
Top Forums Programming UNIX version standards Post 35873 by oombera on Saturday 10th of May 2003 10:20:47 PM
Old 05-10-2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo
keep in mind that the first solid release is normally 1.0 not 3.0 or 6.0 Smilie
Unless you're developing a rival product and want to make your next release appear to be more advanced than your rival's.. a certain program that will remain unnamed comes to mind that mysteriously leapt from v4.x to v6 Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which unix version...

I pulled out my old 386 from the garage and dusted it off, and now i want to install unix on it. The 386 however only has a 104mb HD, and has NO cd rom support. Which if any version of unix would best suite this box? Is installing with floppies my only option? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nefarious
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Version of old?!

Hullo Unix fans. Hoping one of you might be able to give me an indication here... 7 years ago, I was responsible for managing a windows 95 network with a unix server. Problem is I'll be buggered if I can recall what version of unix it was. Can anyone tell me what the standard version of the time... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k-lye
2 Replies

4. UNIX IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (POSIX.1)

Link to the Open Group (UNIX Standards)

Click HERE to learn about The Single UNIX Specification, Version 3 Or: Here is another link to the UNIX IEEE Standard, an Open Group Technical Standard, Issue 7 Keywords UNIX® is a registered trademark of The Open Group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Version

Please post me a command, About how to find UNIX version on our machine. i have tried > WHICH Version it didn't worked though. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kzar
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix version?

Hi, I am thinking of buying a computer to learn UNIX. I am familiar with windows but not UNIX. Can someone tell me which version of UNIX should I get installed in my new PC? And how do I start learning UNIX? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hana
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Scripting Standards

Would anyone have details of pre-existing Unix shell scripting standards. I've been asked to prepare a document outlining standards when writing korn shell scripts & don't really know where to start. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: janmolby
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Migrate unix version 8 to version 9

i have a program writing in PRO C which currently running in unix version 8 tie with oracle 8i, but in the future company gonna migrate this OS to version 9. Anything i have to prepare for my PRO C program to run in unix version 9? or anything would that impact my program couldn't run well? what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsy
2 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)