Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: need help mandrake os
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers need help mandrake os Post 35843 by norsk hedensk on Thursday 8th of May 2003 09:26:16 PM
Old 05-08-2003
if the hard drive is a new drive with nothing else on it, then yes it is safe to let it auto partition it. i havnt used mandrake but it should let you see how its going to slice up your drive before it does the partitioning.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mandrake 8.1

Hi all, I have copied three .ISO files for Mandrake 8.1 from a Linux DVD onto my work LAN. They are: Mandrake81-cd1-inst.I586.iso Mandrake81-cd2-ext.I586.iso Mandrake81-cd3-supp.I586.isoThey're all +650M in size and I'd like to know what I need to do in order to create the three CD's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 7.0 and X

I have problems. I have to use Mandrake 7.0 for a college course and I have it installed and I can do all the command line stuff, but I want to get to the GUI. Problem is, I can't start X. SO, after doing some searching on google, I downloaded XFree86 4.0.1 and the latest driver for my video... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake and os X

can i run mac os X stuff in mandrake? on a intel computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake

I read the old posts about dual booting windows and linux, and I just wanted to clarify something: If I buy the mandrake version of linux, will that by itself partition the hard drive, or do I still have to get a copy of partition magic? If the mandrake version can do it, is it an easy process? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke314pi
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake question

Hi, I recently started running Mandrake Linux with the KDE desktop. Today instead of starting up the desktop, it stayed at the command prompt. What is the linux command for starting the KDE environment? Thanks alot! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke314pi
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake 7.2 Installation

Hi all, I'm waiting (impatiently) for the Mandrake 9.0 CD's to arrive. I have scored Man 7.2 and wish to meet the Penguin straight away. So, I changed my BIOS to boot from CD and got underway but it only picked up my Windows hard drives (seperate physical drives). I have a third hard drive... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: onestepto
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 10

i just got mandrake 10 and i installed xine the latest why does it crash my xserver and how do i fix this problem in mandrake 8 - 9.2 i had no problmes with xine until now with 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2004
2 Replies

8. SuSE

mandrake problem

ihave mandrake 9.2 (will upgrade soon to 10) but anyways, i can't get the Hard drive or the CD-ROM or Floppy to show up on the desktop. can anyone help me out? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_newbe
11 Replies

9. Linux

mandrake

I just installed mandrake 9.2, and all I want right now is for gaim to allow me to use msn.. The version I got now is 0.59.? and I have tried to get the latest version but when I downloaded the rpm it said that there were errors... can someone help... for my rpm packaging I have went to Urpmi and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flimzzy
3 Replies

10. Linux

anyone familiar with mandrake? :D

I am using Mandrake 10.1 and I was trying to use K3B to burn my files to CD. Well, I configured the recorder speed to 48X, however when I try to burn a cd, the program gets stuck and return an error 252 or something. I searched the forum and in there somewhere people mentioned about turning on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jace
2 Replies
SD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     SD(4)

NAME
sd - Driver for SCSI Disk Drives SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/hdreg.h> /* for HDIO_GETGEO */ #include <linux/fs.h> /* for BLKGETSIZE and BLKRRPART */ CONFIG
The block device name has the following form: sdlp, where l is a letter denoting the physical drive, and p is a number denoting the parti- tion on that physical drive. Often, the partition number, p, will be left off when the device corresponds to the whole drive. SCSI disks have a major device number of 8, and a minor device number of the form (16 * drive_number) + partition_number, where drive_num- ber is the number of the physical drive in order of detection, and partition_number is as follows: partition 0 is the whole drive partitions 1-4 are the DOS "primary" partitions partitions 5-8 are the DOS "extended" (or "logical") partitions For example, /dev/sda will have major 8, minor 0, and will refer to all of the first SCSI drive in the system; and /dev/sdb3 will have major 8, minor 19, and will refer to the third DOS "primary" partition on the second SCSI drive in the system. At this time, only block devices are provided. Raw devices have not yet been implemented. DESCRIPTION
The following ioctls are provided: HDIO_GETGEO Returns the BIOS disk parameters in the following structure: struct hd_geometry { unsigned char heads; unsigned char sectors; unsigned short cylinders; unsigned long start; }; A pointer to this structure is passed as the ioctl(2) parameter. The information returned in the parameter is the disk geometry of the drive as understood by DOS! This geometry is not the physical geometry of the drive. It is used when constructing the drive's partition table, however, and is needed for convenient operation of fdisk(1), efdisk(1), and lilo(1). If the geometry information is not available, zero will be returned for all of the parameters. BLKGETSIZE Returns the device size in sectors. The ioctl(2) parameter should be a pointer to a long. BLKRRPART Forces a re-read of the SCSI disk partition tables. No parameter is needed. The scsi(4) ioctls are also supported. If the ioctl(2) parameter is required, and it is NULL, then ioctl() will return -EINVAL. FILES
/dev/sd[a-h]: the whole device /dev/sd[a-h][0-8]: individual block partitions SEE ALSO
scsi(4) 1992-12-17 SD(4)