Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Problem setting up raw partitions on SUSE v8.0 using LVM on Oracle 8.1.7.URGENT!!!!!! Post 35705 by ganti on Tuesday 29th of April 2003 05:42:16 AM
Old 04-29-2003
Please execute the statement

alter database open at the sql*plus prompt.

and report the error message

Donot try to run the scripts before opening

Rgds

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

raw partitions

i want to know, how do i to create a rwa partttions in unixware 7 wit raid 5 best regards felix arteaga (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: farteaga
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying oracle tables from raw disk

I have been tasked with archiving Oracle tables. The data is on raw devices, and possibly will span multiple logical volumes. Has anyone ever had to do this? How did you accomplish it? Any references to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isenhart
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk?

Hi all, I would like to know how to make new partitions.... I currently have allocated 60G for various slices (I have totally used 4 out of 7 available slices... I am running only solaris on my box. My plan is to have entire disk dedicated to solaris and run other OS from within... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
19 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

[Urgent]Problem on setting up the apache2.2.6 and mod_wsgi3.2 and python2.5.4

Hi everyone, So far, I have done all the steps (including creating django.wsgi in the project). The step left is to turn on the httpd, but error put exit in this very last step. :( <user> #: ./apachetrl start httpd: Syntax error on line 450 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AlexCheung
1 Replies

5. Web Development

[Urgent]Problem on setting up the apache2.2.6 and mod_wsgi3.2 and python2.5.4

Hi everyone, So far, I have done all the steps (including creating django.wsgi in the project). The step left is to turn on the httpd, but error put exit in this very last step.:( <user> #: ./apachetrl start httpd: Syntax error on line 450 of /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf: Cannot load... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AlexCheung
1 Replies

6. AIX

LVM & Raw device i/o comparison

Please consider this a question about basics&best practices. On AIX 5.3 system, three raw physical volumes are defined from storage. While doing a read with command dd from the raw device, the speed rate is 250Mb/s. Then, it gets complex when I define these three pv's to an lv of type raw. Doing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalliege
4 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 using raw partition for Oracle 10g

Hellow friends, We are having AIX 5.3 total memory allotted to /Backup directory is 700GB actual used memory is 250GB ..but when i issue df -gt command to check space it is showing /Backup directory is 70% full ..how to identify root cause.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umashankar1987
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using parted command to create LVM partitions

Oracle Linux 6.6 To create Physical Volumes for Volume groups (LVM) , the disk need to be partitioned to LVM type ie. 'Linux LVM' type . In fdisk , this can done by choosing 8e when prompted for partition type. Since it is easy to script (non-interactive), I use parted command rather than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John K
1 Replies

9. Solaris

SVM RAID5: Can an app access raw partitions?

I am using Solaris 9 (Sparc based) with Sybase and a proprietary DB application that works with Sybase. In the past we have not used SVM or any RAID config. The DBs were configured such that each DB had its own partition. Now I would like to setup a new machine with the DBs on a RAID5 config... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DavidC_SysEngr
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

I need help setting up LVM snapshots on Ubuntu 16.04

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 on a HP laptop with a core I3 processor. I am trying to run mariaDB and do hot backups to disk. In order to do that I wanted to create an LVM snapshot and backup the snapshot for a point in time backup, possibly using tar. I included a snapshot of the gparted app showing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
1 Replies
RAW(8)							      System Manager's Manual							    RAW(8)

NAME
raw - bind a Linux raw character device SYNOPSIS
raw /dev/raw/raw<N> <major> <minor> raw /dev/raw/raw<N> /dev/<blockdev> raw -q /dev/raw/raw<N> raw -qa DESCRIPTION
raw is used to bind a Linux raw character device to a block device. Any block device may be used: at the time of binding, the device driver does not even have to be accessible (it may be loaded on demand as a kernel module later). raw is used in two modes: it either sets raw device bindings, or it queries existing bindings. When setting a raw device, /dev/raw/raw<N> is the device name of an existing raw device node in the filesystem. The block device to which it is to be bound can be specified either in terms of its major and minor device numbers, or as a path name /dev/<blockdev> to an existing block device file. The bindings already in existence can be queried with the -q option, with is used either with a raw device filename to query that one device, or with the -a option to query all bound raw devices. Once bound to a block device, a raw device can be opened, read and written, just like the block device it is bound to. However, the raw device does not behave exactly like the block device. In particular, access to the raw device bypasses the kernel's block buffer cache entirely: all I/O is done directly to and from the address space of the process performing the I/O. If the underlying block device driver can support DMA, then no data copying at all is required to complete the I/O. Because raw I/O involves direct hardware access to a process's memory, a few extra restrictions must be observed. All I/Os must be cor- rectly aligned in memory and on disk: they must start at a sector offset on disk, they must be an exact number of sectors long, and the data buffer in virtual memory must also be aligned to a multiple of the sector size. The sector size is 512 bytes for most devices. Use the /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices file to define the set of raw device mappings automatically created during the system startup sequence. The format of the file is the same used in the command line with the exception that the "raw" command itself is omitted. OPTIONS
-q Set query mode. raw will query an existing binding instead of setting a new one. -a With -q , specifies that all bound raw devices should be queried. -h provides a usage summary. BUGS
The Linux dd (1) command does not currently align its buffers correctly, and so cannot be used on raw devices. Raw I/O devices do not maintain cache coherency with the Linux block device buffer cache. If you use raw I/O to overwrite data already in the buffer cache, the buffer cache will no longer correspond to the contents of the actual storage device underneath. This is deliberate, but is regarded either a bug or a feature depending on who you ask! AUTHOR
Stephen Tweedie (sct@redhat.com) Version 0.1 Aug 1999 RAW(8)