Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers IP details for Unix/Linux login clients? Post 3542 by ghoti on Thursday 5th of July 2001 08:29:57 AM
Old 07-05-2001
Thanks for the suggestion, but this seems to use the host lookup again, I am really looking for just the IP information.

Cheers anyway!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Reg:Login details

Hi, I want to change my login name.Can u please suggest me how to do that.:confused: Regards, Jyothi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check login details

As a root user i switch to a different user say "oratest". I would like to know the details like at what time did the switch ( su - oratest ) happen. Are there any logs to check this Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
4 Replies

3. AIX

Last login details in banner

Friends!! I need your help. Where can i change/set the last login details as below in aix 5.3. And how to do that to get the results as exactly below login as: mbpops mbpops@xx.28.3.24's password: Last unsuccessful login: Mon Nov 22 14:32:27 GMT 2010 on ssh from 10.132.5.129 Last login:... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmvinay
17 Replies

4. AIX

How to find the year in last login details

Hi Friends I have a query. we had a requirement to see the last login details of our users so I ran the command last <username> and the output i get is: wtmp begins Apr 17 21:48 Now I need to know couple of things: 1. How can I see the year this log is being read from wtmp file 2. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathandrake13
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX / LINUX OS CPU configuration details

Hi, How to find the cpu configuration details of Cores, Speed MHz, virtual processors for the following servers: LINUX OS Servers: Linux 2.6.9-89.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Sat Jun 13 07:05:54 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux. (Cores, Speed, Processor) Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagtheesh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing the login logout details of user

Hi I'm new to Shell scripting .Can anyone please help me how to capture user's login and logout details and load them into a table... we are using Oracle DB on UNIX:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajmohan146
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to cache login in ldap clients !!! Please helpppp !!!!

Hey guys iīve one big problem with nscd.conf this donīt work i tried many examples of configuration the nscd.conf simply donīt work when i stop the ldap server i try access by ssh on the client i canīt make logon. And the database on /var/db/nscd donīt work. follows below the conf of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulo_eduardo
0 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Changing login details

Dear Administrators! I would like to change my username for this forum, would it be possible? Regards FR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reporting last login details

Most of my Solaris 10 user accounts are generally 10 characters long. When I run the 'last' command the report only shows the first 8 characters so the information is not very helpful. How can I report the full 10 character user account. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PPOWER55
1 Replies
LAST, LASTB(1)							   User Commands						    LAST, LASTB(1)

NAME
last, lastb - show a listing of last logged in users SYNOPSIS
last [options] [username...] [tty...] lastb [options] [username...] [tty...] DESCRIPTION
last searches back through the /var/log/wtmp file (or the file designated by the -f option) and displays a list of all users logged in (and out) since that file was created. One or more usernames and/or ttys can be given, in which case last will show only the entries matching those arguments. Names of ttys can be abbreviated, thus last 0 is the same as last tty0. When catching a SIGINT signal (generated by the interrupt key, usually control-C) or a SIGQUIT signal, last will show how far it has searched through the file; in the case of the SIGINT signal last will then terminate. The pseudo user reboot logs in each time the system is rebooted. Thus last reboot will show a log of all the reboots since the log file was created. lastb is the same as last, except that by default it shows a log of the /var/log/btmp file, which contains all the bad login attempts. OPTIONS
-a, --hostlast Display the hostname in the last column. Useful in combination with the --dns option. -d, --dns For non-local logins, Linux stores not only the host name of the remote host, but its IP number as well. This option translates the IP number back into a hostname. -f, --file file Tell last to use a specific file instead of /var/log/wtmp. The --file option can be given multiple times, and all of the specified files will be processed. -F, --fulltimes Print full login and logout times and dates. -i, --ip Like --dns , but displays the host's IP number instead of the name. -number -n, --limit number Tell last how many lines to show. -p, --present time Display the users who were present at the specified time. This is like using the options --since and --until together with the same time. -R, --nohostname Suppresses the display of the hostname field. -s, --since time Display the state of logins since the specified time. This is useful, e.g., to easily determine who was logged in at a particular time. The option is often combined with --until. -t, --until time Display the state of logins until the specified time. --time-format format Define the output timestamp format to be one of notime, short, full, or iso. The notime variant will not print any timestamps at all, short is the default, and full is the same as the --fulltimes option. The iso variant will display the timestamp in ISO-8601 format. The ISO format contains timezone information, making it preferable when printouts are investigated outside of the system. -w, --fullnames Display full user names and domain names in the output. -x, --system Display the system shutdown entries and run level changes. TIME FORMATS
The options that take the time argument understand the following formats: YYYYMMDDhhmmss YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm (seconds will be set to 00) YYYY-MM-DD (time will be set to 00:00:00) hh:mm:ss (date will be set to today) hh:mm (date will be set to today, seconds to 00) now yesterday (time is set to 00:00:00) today (time is set to 00:00:00) tomorrow (time is set to 00:00:00) +5min -5days NOTES
The files wtmp and btmp might not be found. The system only logs information in these files if they are present. This is a local configu- ration issue. If you want the files to be used, they can be created with a simple touch(1) command (for example, touch /var/log/wtmp). FILES
/var/log/wtmp /var/log/btmp AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg <miquels@cistron.nl> AVAILABILITY
The last command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. SEE ALSO
login(1), wtmp(5), init(8), shutdown(8) util-linux October 2013 LAST, LASTB(1)