Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers IP details for Unix/Linux login clients? Post 3515 by ghoti on Wednesday 4th of July 2001 11:21:27 AM
Old 07-04-2001
Data

Thanks for the help Andy, but I had got that far already.

The problem is this:

we are working using a unix box, accessed from several windows systems, usually running Hummingbird Exceed. As some of the technicians need to access the server from many locations worldwide, I need to set the $DISPLAY variable using an IP address rather than a hostname, as not all the IP's are in the DNS.

I had initially thought that I could use 'netstat |grep X' to isolate the connections using an Xserver, then do the same using netstat -n to get the ip number, but this fails with multiple connections, as it is very difficult to differentiate using a script.

Cheers for the help tho...

-ghoti

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Reg:Login details

Hi, I want to change my login name.Can u please suggest me how to do that.:confused: Regards, Jyothi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check login details

As a root user i switch to a different user say "oratest". I would like to know the details like at what time did the switch ( su - oratest ) happen. Are there any logs to check this Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjoy
4 Replies

3. AIX

Last login details in banner

Friends!! I need your help. Where can i change/set the last login details as below in aix 5.3. And how to do that to get the results as exactly below login as: mbpops mbpops@xx.28.3.24's password: Last unsuccessful login: Mon Nov 22 14:32:27 GMT 2010 on ssh from 10.132.5.129 Last login:... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmvinay
17 Replies

4. AIX

How to find the year in last login details

Hi Friends I have a query. we had a requirement to see the last login details of our users so I ran the command last <username> and the output i get is: wtmp begins Apr 17 21:48 Now I need to know couple of things: 1. How can I see the year this log is being read from wtmp file 2. Is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nathandrake13
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX / LINUX OS CPU configuration details

Hi, How to find the cpu configuration details of Cores, Speed MHz, virtual processors for the following servers: LINUX OS Servers: Linux 2.6.9-89.0.3.ELsmp #1 SMP Sat Jun 13 07:05:54 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux. (Cores, Speed, Processor) Linux 2.6.18-164.el5 #1 SMP Tue Aug 18... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagtheesh
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing the login logout details of user

Hi I'm new to Shell scripting .Can anyone please help me how to capture user's login and logout details and load them into a table... we are using Oracle DB on UNIX:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajmohan146
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing login details to htaccess login prompt

Hi, How i can pass the login details to the URL which is password protected with the htaccess using command line or script (perl,or shell,or php). Any help or hint appreciated. Thanks, SJ (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SilvesterJ
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to cache login in ldap clients !!! Please helpppp !!!!

Hey guys iīve one big problem with nscd.conf this donīt work i tried many examples of configuration the nscd.conf simply donīt work when i stop the ldap server i try access by ssh on the client i canīt make logon. And the database on /var/db/nscd donīt work. follows below the conf of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulo_eduardo
0 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Changing login details

Dear Administrators! I would like to change my username for this forum, would it be possible? Regards FR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fretagi
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reporting last login details

Most of my Solaris 10 user accounts are generally 10 characters long. When I run the 'last' command the report only shows the first 8 characters so the information is not very helpful. How can I report the full 10 character user account. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PPOWER55
1 Replies
inet_type(4)							   File Formats 						      inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)