Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: System Maintenance
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users System Maintenance Post 35036 by norsk hedensk on Tuesday 25th of March 2003 10:36:07 PM
Old 03-25-2003
you mentioned core files, there are utilities to analyze them when a program dumps core, but from what ive read most people wont find too much use with the actual core file, unless you are a programmer. now, finding out why a programed dumped core is more useful, check the logs of that program and so on. the directory /var/log/ is probably where most of your log files will be kept. you will find your self in that directory everyday, look for anything out of the ordinary...and also use the last command daily just to make sure there are no 'strange' logins.
to yls177, daily things an SA does would be to go through the log files, and just generally making sure everything is working as it should. IMO the great thing about every unix is that once youve configured your box, thats it, if its doing its job now, theres not too much reason for it to stop doing its job later----given that you monitor log files well to watch for any problems, intruders, etc...another thing is to make sure you monitor available space on your system, getting rid of un needed programs and making sure any services that are not in use are turned off.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Quiet System for Maintenance

I have backups that run in a cron @ midnight. Does the backup utility make sure that the system is quiet --(no users are logged on) or do I need to add some stuff to make sure nobody is accessing those file while they are being backed up. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Board Maintenance

Just a remark now the board has grown to considerable proportion. I see too little of an active hand(s) maintaning the boards, clipping away dead posts, moving posts that were created in the wrong forums etc. It's a bit tiring to see alot of threads ending in: this has been covered before, do a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: patvdv
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What are core files and how can I delete them when am performing system maintenance??

Help me How can I go about doing this. also, if you have any idea of other files I can delete and what I can do to improve the performance of a system thats running too slow (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPORTANT
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Operation and Maintenance

I gurus of Solaris, I need to do a Procedure concerning in the Maintenance of Solaris Server. What are the parameters that I must be see Periodically in a Server. For example the space I (df -h) must be each week.- In this server exist a Database aplication (Oracle), and log's that increase or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresguillen
4 Replies

5. Solaris

svc:/system/filesystem/local is always in maintenance status

Hello Friends, I need to change network filesystem status as online but it always seems in maintenance mode, I appreciate your any suggestion to change its state as online. shell>svcadm enable svc:/system/filesystem/local shell>svcs -l svc:/system/filesystem/local fmri ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

maintenance script

Hi Guys i wonder if anyone can help. i want to create a script that checks multiple servers for disk space availible, cpu usage for past 24 hours. as well as check if all the hardware components are still doing their jobs. i will be doing this in the tcsh, can anyone help? OS = Sun Solaris 5.10... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
2 Replies

7. Solaris

root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)

I have message "root password for system maintenance (control-d to bypass)" after Solaris 10 boots up. Why it appears ? thx for help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System maintenance weekly job and welcome message

Since a few weeks I am playing with debian and now I have 2 questions. The first one: I want to create weekly a file to all user directories. I know that you have a cronjob to schedule it weekly. In this cronjob I have written the following line: df >> /home/%users/diskspace.txt I've... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iceqube
1 Replies

9. Solaris

System booting to maintenance mode

Hi Guys, I have a sunblade 1500. I booted the system and it booted to maintenance mode. How can I fix this? Thanks lots (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 system boots into Maintenance mode

I have seen similar threads on this issue, but I have not seen a fix. Basically I am getting a lot of rcp bind errors. Below find the output of "svcs -xv". not sure where to begin: # svcs -xv svc:/network/rpc/bind:default (RPC bindings) State: maintenance since Fri May 25 14:13:18 2012... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brownwrap
14 Replies
SA2(8)								Linux User's Manual							    SA2(8)

NAME
sa2 - Write a daily report in the /var/log/sa directory. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib64/sa/sa2 DESCRIPTION
The sa2 command is a shell procedure variant of the sar command which writes a daily report in the /var/log/sa/sardd file, where the dd parameter indicates the current day. The sa2 command handles all of the flags and parameters of the sar command. The sa2 command is designed to be started automatically by the cron command. EXAMPLES
To run the sa2 command daily, place the following entry in your root or adm crontab file: 5 19 * * 1-5 /usr/lib64/sa/sa2 -A & This will generate a daily report called /var/log/sa/sardd It will also remove reports more than one week old. FILES
/var/log/sa/sardd Indicate the daily report file, where the dd parameter is a number representing the day of the month. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sar(1), sadc(8), sa1(8), sadf(1) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux AUGUST 2010 SA2(8)