Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Viewing files in a directory? Post 3494 by sushrut on Wednesday 4th of July 2001 01:45:49 AM
Old 07-04-2001
I am not sure what exactly you mean by view

You must be used to dos.

These commands may help you
dos unix
dir ls
edit vi (this will open in read write mode)
edit view (read mode)
type cat (dump the contenct of file on screen
cd cd
pwd ( shos directory in which you are working)
Note: in dos if u give cd command with no paramter it shows the current directory. In Unix it will take you to you home directory. you should used pwd to know your present working directory)
path echo $PATH

Hope this helps....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Tar files

I have backed up a job ona ait tape from unix. i would like to retrieve the data from that tape from a windows pc. i am aware that there may be software available that will allow windows to recognise .tar files. does anyone know where i can source this software or is there any other options (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mapping
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing files

I have a file (called CORE) that is a dump created by a crashing process. This file, I believe, is in "binary" form, so when I try to use cat, more, or vi on it, it has a bunch of garbage. Is there anything I can use to "read" or view this file just like I might a non-binary file? I am running... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsimpg1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Directory Content as You Navigate Directories in UNIX

Hi, Can someone help me figure out how to view directory content while I navigate directories (without having to go to the actual directory and "ls-ing" it)? Is there some keyboard shortcut for this? For instance, it would be useful if I could see the content of a directory when I'm copying... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelata
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing Ebcidic files

I am having trouble viewing these files from my unix session. vi comes back with line too long. Also an m_dump with the relevant dml comes back with problems. How can I view this as a text file? Also is there an easy way to view specific records within. Eg I have a policy id (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trek88
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

viewing the *.msg files

Is there any way we can view the *.msg files in unix / linux ? Example cat aa.msg Or Do we need to do any decryption ? Kindly provide the solution? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bourne shell viewing files in directory

Hi, I have a program that get a directory name from the user, then the program should go through one by one of the file, asking the user whether to move it to another folder. I tried to list the time of the file one by one. But it seems like it doesn't work. The code is as follow: check() {... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mInGzaiii
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX: Problem viewing directory with BDF...

Hi all, When I use BDF command on this particular server, it outputs mostly normal stuff. However, there is one directory it can't read at all. Also, it doesn't seem to exist. When I BDF my file system with a small panic script (it happens even if you use just the bdf command): As you... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with viewing the Log files

I have a file name as logfiles_tar.tgz. How can I view the contents of the log files present in logfiles_tar.tgz ? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

9. Tips and Tutorials

Viewing changes in directory

Hi, I have a directory, and there is a job running and constantly writes and removes files from and to this directory. I would like to see somehow these changes without pressing `ls` every second. Kind of `tail -f` command, but for a directory list and not for file content. I thought maybe kind... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilya_dv
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Viewing file size in current directory

What is the command line for viewing the sizes(lines and bytes)of all the files in your present working directory? Is it >ls -la (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Payton2704
2 Replies
pwd(1)							      General Commands Manual							    pwd(1)

NAME
pwd - working directory name SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
prints the path name of the working (current) directory. Options recognizes the following options: Display the directory with the name of the symbolic link if any. If the environment variable contains an absolute path name of the current directory that does not contain the file names (dot) or (dot-dot), writes this path name to standard output. Otherwise, the option behaves like the option. Display the actual physical directory path. Directories of symbolic link types are not displayed. If both and are specified, the last one applies. If neither nor is specified, the default option is: from UNIX 2003 environment onwards; see standards(5). otherwise. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multibyte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
Possible file system trouble; contact system administrator. Current directory has been removed (usually by a different process). Use command to move to a valid directory (see cd(1)). EXAMPLES
If your home directory is and the command is executed from the home directory, typing produces the following display: In the following example, a symbolic link, points to the directory. Then the command displays the actual directory: The command displays the directory with the symbolic link: In the following example, there is no symbolic link. The displayed directory is the same for both the and options. AUTHOR
was developed by AT&T and HP. SEE ALSO
cd(1), csh(1), sh(1), sh-posix(1), standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
pwd(1)