Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: What to learn in Unix
Top Forums Programming What to learn in Unix Post 3457 by vin_vinu on Monday 2nd of July 2001 09:27:09 PM
Old 07-02-2001
MySQL

The best way i think is to lean while you work. If you dont have any task assigned, think of aomething and start working on it nad u leran that in the best and all possible ways ...
Happy learning ..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Want to learn Unix on PB

I've got a 15" PB running Panther and I truly want to delve into the Unix base. I want to learn what is going on under my system and I want to learn how to be able to work in the Unix environment. I've had some experience with Redhat and Mandrake Linux, so I'm not afraid of the shell prompt. I'd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MortonM33
2 Replies

2. SCO

want to Learn Unix

:confused: Hello everybody, i am totally new to unix, i want to learn unix. i have a server with pIII, 256 mb RAM, two SCSI disk w/o RAID controller.and one IDE CD-ROM Drive. i heard SCO installs on intel platform. what steps should i take for installing SCO on this machine? can anybody help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tataiermail
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

want to learn unix

Hey guys, I would like to learn unix but first i need to start to load unix OS into my computer but i dont know where to start or get the CD to load...help appreciated...thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxsonny
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where 2 learn unix ??????

HI . my friends am very ewager to learn unix and its operations can any experts can say wher can i easily learn unix through net and give me some links to learn unix through also tutorials.plz help me am very interested also i want ot learn AIX so only am asking this help my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harsath24330
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to learn unix

Hello everyone, I would like to learn and administrate unix operation system. For training purposes, i would to install at home an unix system on my windows machine (using vmware player or virtual box.) I would like you to advise me on which exactly operation system can i install for learning... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stunaz
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to learn UNIX?

Hey everybody, I am a 25 year old web programmer in Malaysia. I am not hapy with my line of work and I want to do something more. I know asp.net,asp,php and jsp.But they dont really land me in a good promising job wich I realy love. I am more interested in Oracle DBMS. now to be a DBA in Oracle... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shounak
7 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Best way to learn Unix....

Hello- I talked to a friend the other day....he said learning Linux is a boon to my Windows Server Support career. I know linux comes from Unix so I am wondering if I should start by learning Unix. I have a MAC with OSX on it that I can use. Will this work for learning line command? My goal is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: digitalayon
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best way to learn UNIX

Hi, I am the ultimate noob when it comes to UNIX. Apart from a few basic thing like ls -l and mkdir (and that really is about as good as it gets) I know absolutely nothing about UNIX and I want to learn it and get better! I'm sure like with most things, just getting stuck in and trying... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thebdj
3 Replies

9. Fedora

How to learn UNIX

First question is how do you learn UNIX on a home lab. I understand that HP-UX isn't free and neither is SCO Unix and they don't run on x86 based systems anyways. The choices I believe are going to be OpenSolaris and FreeBSD. My question is UNIX commands the same across the board so if I learn... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael78
11 Replies
HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)						File Formats Manual					       HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)

NAME
hobbitlaunch.cfg - Task definitions for the hobbitlaunch utility SYNOPSIS
~xymon/server/etc/hobbitlaunch.cfg DESCRIPTION
The hobbitlaunch.cfg file holds the list of tasks that hobbitlaunch runs to perform all of the tasks needed by the Xymon monitor. FILE FORMAT
A task is defined by a key, a command, and optionally also interval, environment, and logfile. Blank lines and lines starting with a hash mark (#) are treated as comments and ignored. Long lines can be broken up by putting a back- slash at the end of the line and continuing the entry on the next line. An entry looks like this: [hobbitd] ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/bin/hobbitd [updateweb] ENVFILE /usr/local/xymon/server/etc/hobbitserver.cfg CMD /usr/local/xymon/server/bin/bbgen NEEDS hobbitd GROUP webupdates INTERVAL 5m ONHOST localhost MAXTIME 10m LOGFILE /var/log/xymon/updateweb.log The key is enclosed in angle brackets, and must be unique for each task. You can choose your key-names as you like, they are only used internally in hobbitlaunch to identify each task. The command is defined by the CMD keyword. This is the full command including any options you want to use for this task. This is required for all tasks. The DISABLED keyword means that this command is disabled. hobbitlaunch will not start this task. It is recommended that you use this to disable standard tasks, instead of removing them or commenting them out. Upgrades to Xymon will add standard tasks back into the file, so unless you have them listed as DISABLED then tasks may re-appear unexpectedly after an upgrade. The ONHOST keyword tells hobbitlaunch that this task should only run on specific hosts. After the ONHOST keyword, you must provide a "regu- lar expression"; if the hostname where hobbitlaunch runs matches this expression, then the task will run. If it doesn't match, then the task is treated as if it were DISABLED. The MAXTIME keyword sets a maximum time that the task may run; if exceeded, hobbitlaunch will kill the task. The time is in seconds by default, you can specify minutes, hours or days by adding an "m", "h" or "d" after the number. By default there is no upper limit on how long a taskmay run. The NEEDS instructs hobbitlaunch not to run this task unless the task defined by the NEEDS keyword is already running. This is used e.g. to delay the start of some application until the needed daemons have been started. The task that must be running is defined by its key. The GROUP keyword can be used to limit the number of tasks that may run simultaneously. E.g. if you are generating multiple pagesets of webpages, you dont want them to run at the same time. Putting them into a GROUP will cause hobbitlaunch to delay the start of new tasks, so that only one task will run per group. You can change the limit by defining the group before the tasks, with a "GROUP groupname max- tasks" line. The INTERVAL keyword defines how often this command is executed. The example shows a command that runs every 5 minutes. If no interval is given, the task is only run once - this is useful for tasks that run continually as daemons - although if the task stops for some reason, then hobbitlaunch will attempt to restart it. Intervals can be specified in seconds (if you just put a number there), or in minutes (5m), hours (2h), or days (1d). The ENVFILE setting points to a file with definitions of environment variables. Before running the task, hobbitlaunch will setup all of the environment variables listed in this file. Since this is a per-task setting, you can use the same hobbitlaunch instance to run e.g. both the server- and client-side Xymon tasks. If this option is not present, then the environment defined to hobbitlaunch is used. The ENVAREA setting modifies which environment variables are loaded, by picking up the ones that are defined for this specific "area". See hobbitserver.cfg(5) for information about environment areas. The LOGFILE setting defines a logfile for the task. hobbitlaunch will start the task with stdout and stderr redirected to this file. If this option is not present, then the output goes to the same location as the hobbitlaunch output. SEE ALSO
hobbitlaunch(8), hobbitd(8), xymon(7) Xymon Version 4.2.3: 4 Feb 2009 HOBBITLAUNCH.CFG(5)