Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sockets...
Top Forums Programming sockets... Post 3437 by devy8 on Monday 2nd of July 2001 10:50:51 AM
Old 07-02-2001
sockets...

Hi !
I had a verry simple question to ask...
In unix when we create pipes.. the unnamed pipes that is...
is there any way to access those pipes outside the code ?
Another thing.. do sockets have an entry in the inode table ?

TIA,
Devyani.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Sockets!?!?!?!?!?!

I am looking for a way to have a program listen on a port (example: 8000) for communication I will be sending via that port to it(Linux Kernel machine). Once it recieves an appropiate command I need it to run a .bat file in linux. I know what I need to do but I am running into a few problems:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigB8210
8 Replies

2. Programming

sockets

Hai, How cani declare socket and collect the data in a string varialbe. Since i am new to this i am asking this. Can we connect multiple port. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sockets

how do i mointor how many sockets are opened from a particular foriegn address? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirpond
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Sockets in use

Is there a way to see what sockets are in use? The developers here are getting some defunct processes and they would like to get a socket list. This is on a Solaris 8 machine. Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

sockets and firewall

Is it possible to trace the packages and the statuses of client's and/or server's sockets by the UNIX network administrative tools? Two applications interact via sockets. There is no problem if they stay in the same network segment. If their hosts connected through the firewall then they aren't... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogogo
4 Replies

6. Programming

need help with sockets

anyone and teach me how to save standard output to a file in a client/server socket. I know how to read them to the screen but i'm not quite sure how to save them to a file. my read to screen file code: memset(line, 0x0, LINE_ARRAY_SIZE); while (recv(connectSocket, line, MAX_MSG, 0) >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crunchyuser
1 Replies

7. Programming

Sockets

Hi,i now moved into a different section where i need to use sockets. i am completely nill in sockets. can some body please provide me what are the requirements for a socket. to use sockets in c. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrUser
1 Replies

8. Programming

Help with sockets in C

if i have a server which wants to connect to exactly 5 clients, does that mean i need 5 socket file descriptors and use listen(socket_fd,1); for each one or just do listen(socket_fd,5) also whats the second parameter number mean? what happens if i put 0 there? also if i am connected... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
28 Replies

9. Red Hat

Sockets

hai guys, I'm doing a project in which one server communicates with several clients. How can i do it when i have different port numbers???:confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeshb6
0 Replies

10. Programming

Any example about sockets in C++?

Hi, i am student, think learning about c++, someone has a example the how establish a conection with sockets :b::b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmartinez
1 Replies
mknod(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  mknod(8)

NAME
mknod - Creates a special file SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mknod special_file [ b major_device# minor_device# | c major_device# minor_device#] /usr/sbin/mknod filename p DESCRIPTION
The mknod command makes a directory entry. The first argument is the name of the special device file. Select a name that is descriptive of the device. The mknod command has two forms. In the first form, the second argument is the b or c flag. The last two arguments are numbers specifying the major_device, which helps the operating system find the device driver code, and the minor_device, the unit drive, or line number, which may be either decimal or octal. The assignment of major device numbers is specific to each system. You can determine the device numbers by examining the conf.c system source file. If you change the contents of the conf.c file to add a device driver, you must rebuild the kernel. In the second form of mknod, you use the p flag to create named pipes (FIFOs). Only the superuser can create a character or device special file. FLAGS
Indicates that the special file corresponds to a block-oriented device (disk or tape) Indicates that the special file corresponds to a character-oriented device Creates named pipes (FIFOs) EXAMPLES
To create the special file for a new drive, /dev/disk/dsk20, with a major device number of 1 and a minor device number of 2, enter: mknod /dev/disk/dsk20 b 1 2 This command creates the special file, /dev/disk/dsk20, which is a block special file with major device number 1 and minor device number 2. To create a pipe named fifo, enter: mknod fifo p This command creates the pipe fifo, which is not necessarily in the current directory. FILES
Specifies the command path Specifies the system device numbers specification file delim off mknod(8)