Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sun Os 8
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Sun Os 8 Post 34 by Neo on Monday 25th of September 2000 06:45:52 PM
Old 09-25-2000
<P>If you want to move from static IP address assignment to dynamic assignment using DHCP, you must have access to a DHCP server or service. After you setup or access the server, you must have a DHCP client program which will talk to the DHCP server and get an IP address. The DHCP client process will write the IP address(es) to a file or environmental variable which will be used by the ifconfig() command to set up the interface.</P>

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help: Sun Disk partitioning for Sun V240 & StorEdge 3300

Dear Sun gurus, I have Sun Fire V240 server with its StorEdge 3300 disk-array. Following are its disks appeared in format command. I have prepared its partitions thru format and metainit & metattach (may be i have made wrong steps, causing the errors below because I have done thru some document... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shafeeq
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sun Solaris 10: How do I create a bootup disc? The Sun website confuses me

Hey there, I am starting a Computer Science Foundation year at the end of this month and am trying to get a little bit ahead of the game. I have always wanted to learn Unix and am currently struggling with creating a boot disc to run Solaris (I have chosen to study this) from as opposed to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jupiter
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Fire 280R Sun Solaris CRT/Monitor requirements

I am new to Sun. I brought Sun Fire 280R to practice UNIX. What are the requirements for the monitor/CRT? Will it burn out old non-Sun CRTs? Does it need LCD monitor? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bramptonmt
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Application running too slow on Sun SPARC T5440 but run normal on sun M3000

Hi all, I have application running on sun server T5440 4x8x1.4 GHz, 64 GB RAM, application running very slow though load average too low. when I install my application on another server SUN M3000 (One CPU 1x8x2.5GHz, 8GB RAM), application run smoothly. Here is my server T5440 info: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: insatiable1610
6 Replies
dhcpparm(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       dhcpparm(8)

NAME
dhcpparm - Daemon for client configuration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/dhcpparm [-i interface] tag | symbol | name OPTIONS
Use this option on hardware that has two or more interfaces configurable by the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and for a parameter that is interface specific. When no interface is specified, the client daemon returns the name of the first interface it finds on which DHCP has successfully completed: the value(s) displayed will be those of the configuration received on that interface. DESCRIPTION
The dhcpparm command displays the value(s) of the parameter requested on the command line as supplied by the DHCP protocol. If the DHCP parameter implies more than one value (for example, a list of gateways), the values are displayed separated by newline characters. The parameter may be identified either by its numeric value in the DHCP protocol, by its two character symbol, or by its long name. The dhcp- parm command is intended to be used in command substitutions in the shell scripts invoked by init at system boot. It first contacts the DHCP client daemon (joinc) to verify that DHCP has successfully completed. When the -i option specifies a particular interface, the daemon verifies successful DHCP configuration of that interface; otherwise, the client verifies that at least one interface is successfully con- figured, and supplies the name of that interface to dhcpparm. Parameter values echoed by dhcpparm should not be used without checking exit status. See the EXIT STATUS section below. RESTRICTIONS
A cluster member should never be a DHCP client; it should always use static addressing. If a cluster is to support a DHCP server, there can only be one DHCP server for all the cluster members using a common database with failover. If a cluster is to support a DHCP server, there can only be one DHCP server for all the cluster members using a common database with failover. DHCP client is not supported on dataless clients. SYMBOLS
See dhcptags(4) for the list of two letter symbol codes and names of all DHCP parameters. See RFC 1533 for more detail. EXIT STATUS
Exit codes are as follows: Success. DHCP was not successful. The DHCP client daemon may not be running, the interface might have failed to configure, or no satisfactory DHCP responses were received. Bad arguments. A timer was set and the interface had not configured before it expired. Can only be run as root. Some system error (should never occur). SEE ALSO
Commands: dhcpconf(8), joinc(8), showdhc(8), shleases(8) Files: client.pcy(4), dhcptags(4) RFC1533 dhcpparm(8)