Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: scripts for dummies
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers scripts for dummies Post 3394 by eeldivady on Saturday 30th of June 2001 10:49:14 AM
Old 06-30-2001
scripts for dummies

í have no idea how to write a script. can someone help? how would i write a script that will do the following commands

mkdir temp
cp * temp
cd temp
ls

i want to be able to do a set of commands by typing in only one command. i´m a windows user that is trying to learn unix, finally :P so i´m familiar with the dos way where we simply just create a file that ends with a .bat so a temp.bat is the script where we simply type in temp to run it. i´m not sure how unix works so please explain as if telling a newbie...heehee. and do i have to somehow make the script file executable, if so then how?

thanks,

and if its you answering my questions again, andy...thanks alot! i can´t do the bash stuff u told me before cuz i just changed my shell to bash and it says it will take about 3hrs to change it. once its done then i will test out what u said. thx man...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unix for Dummies FAQ

I have created a small FAQ for the "Unix for Dummies" forum. Hopefully this will be useful, as there are questions which are asked (and answered) repeatedly. <A HREF="http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html">http://www.droflet.net/unix_dot_com_faq.html (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: PxT
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl for Dummies

Hi all. iam new to this and i want to learn perl Any good website out there ?? anything will do thanks :( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

3. News, Links, Events and Announcements

UNIX for Dummies Test

A goofy UNIX test: http://www.majon.com/cgi-bin/IQ?Q=unix WARNING: ANSWERS ARE BELOW!!!! IF YOU WANT TO DO THE TEST BEFORE SEEING THE ANSWERS, DON"T READ FURTHER ;) (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
13 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris for dummies

Is there one command that will display all system information on a Solaris host running Solaris 8? System information such as model, memory, CPU, disk space etc. etc. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mita
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am real Dummies , I am Questions

I want to know data about 1. Overview 2. Process Management 3. Memory Management 4. File System Management 5. Secondary Storage Management 6. Protection and Security Systems of UNIX OS Thank Alot. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coolmara04
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dummies question

Please help to answer some highlighted question below. 1. How to create more than 1 partition in a single hard disk? 2. How to format the created partition to be viewable like in windows C: or D: ? 3. How to use pen drive in unix environment? 4. How to find a file starting with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyysk
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I know this is probably top of the Dummies questions!

Hello: I am a very new Newbie. This is not a homework question. The assignment question was actually on the use of the 2 different inputs 'read' and 'cat' ... that I know and turned in an hour ago. I don't need help with that. My question, like I said, probably sounds really dumb to most of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZaraJC
4 Replies

8. Programming

C++ for dummies: how to compile a code.

Hi. I wrote a small programm which shows me display's refresh rate #include "stdafx.h" #include "windows.h" #include "iostream" using namespace std; int _tmain(int cout) { HDC hDCScreen = GetDC(NULL); int RefreshFrequency = GetDeviceCaps(hDCScreen, VREFRESH); ReleaseDC(NULL, hDCScreen);... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: urello
1 Replies
MKTEMP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 MKTEMP(1)

NAME
mktemp -- make temporary file name (unique) SYNOPSIS
mktemp [-d] [-q] [-u] template DESCRIPTION
The mktemp utility takes the given file name template and overwrites a portion of it to create a file name. This file name is unique and suitable for use by the application. The template may be any file name with at least 6 of 'Xs' appended to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXXXX. The trailing 'Xs' are replaced with the current process number and/or a unique letter combination. The number of unique file names mktemp can return depends on the number of 'Xs' provided; six 'Xs' will result in mktemp testing roughly 26 ** 6 combinations. If mktemp can successfully generate a unique file name, the file is created with mode 0600 (unless the -u flag is given) and the filename is printed to standard output. OPTIONS
The available options are as follows: -d Make a directory instead of a file. -q Fail silently if an error occurs. This is useful if a script does not want error output to go to standard error. -u Operate in ``unsafe'' mode. The temp file will be unlinked before mktemp exits. This is slightly better than mktemp(3) but still introduces a race condition. Use of this option is not encouraged. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp utility exits with a value of 0 on success, and 1 on failure. EXAMPLES
The following sh(1) fragment illustrates a simple use of mktemp where the script should quit if it cannot get a safe temporary file. TMPFILE=`mktemp /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` || exit 1 echo "program output" >> $TMPFILE In this case, we want the script to catch the error itself. TMPFILE=`mktemp -q /tmp/$0.XXXXXX` if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then echo "$0: Can't create temp file, exiting..." exit 1 fi Note that one can also check to see that $TMPFILE is zero length instead of checking $?. This would allow the check to be done later one in the script (since $? would get clobbered by the next shell command). SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3), mktemp(3) HISTORY
The mktemp utility appeared in OpenBSD. BSD
November, 20, 1996 BSD