Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: unix batch
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers unix batch Post 3384 by eeldivady on Saturday 30th of June 2001 09:29:40 AM
Old 06-30-2001
Data unix batch

I´m new to unix so i´m sure this is a simple question for most of you. I want to know how to write a batch file for unix commands. for example, i want to be able to run the pine program by simply typing in p on the command line instead of spelling out the whole word.

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch files and FTP under Unix

Hey all, Does anyone know if Unix has an equivalent to a batch file? And if so, does it work the same way as a batch file under windows? AND, if you can answer that one, is it possible to run such a file under HP-UX and have it execute while in an FTP command line? What I need to do is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

batch file equivalent for Unix

i was trying to do a simple batch file equivalent in Unix when i write a single command in a file, give executable permissions and run it (i gave the file name as a command at the prompt), it works fine. but when i have more than 1 command, say my file has a.out ls ls a.out it doesnt... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Batch id in UNIX

Hi can any one help me? How to find the "batchid" in UNIX? Regards, Ganapati. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganapati
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX logon script/batch

Hi everyone, I am a newbies to Unix and hope someone can help me on: 1. Do anyone has batch file example that can be logon to a unix sever through telnet and exec a nohup command without typing in username and passward everytime ? 2. A java script exmaple for doing the same logon so it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: oht
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Batch FTP - SAS

Hi All, Im trying to write a Unix FTP batch file within a program called SAS. Now i already have one for windows which works fine, but it doesnt work within unix. I've been told that some of the commands are different from Windows to Unix, and ive looked round and am completely stumped... ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shenniko
0 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows services for unix - How do I run in batch

I just installed Windows Services for Unix. I want to create a ksh program and schedule it using the Windows scheduler. How would I go about doing it? What would the command line look like? Do I always have to be in a ksh shell to run the batch program even if it is not scheduled? ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbdenham
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing Windows batch file from UNIX

Hi everyone, let me get straight to the points. My manager wants to execute a remote batch file (on a Windows server) from a UNIX Machine, does anyone know if this is possible and what packages would be needed? Thanks p.s. Sorry i cant give OS specifics, we use most UNIX's; AIX, Solaris,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flip387
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Batch job in unix server to move the pdf file from unix to windows.

Hi Experts, I have a requirement where i need to setup a batch job which runs everymonth and move the pdf files from unix server to windows servers. Could some body provide the inputs for this. and also please provide the inputs on how to map the network dirve in the unix like that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ger199901
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix shell, Dos batch

Is the unix shell script equivalent to dos batch command? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write BTEQ batch scripts in UNIX?

Hi All, I need to write Unix shell script. To star with : I need to do some file checking on unix file system, then based on file existance, I need to run diff SQL in Teradata Bteq. After that, depending on Results of SQL, I need to code other shell scripting like moving file, within same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi Gupta
4 Replies
spell(1)						      General Commands Manual							  spell(1)

NAME
spell, hashmake, spellin, hashcheck - find spelling errors SYNOPSIS
local_file] [files] n spelling_list DESCRIPTION
The command collects words from the named files and looks them up in a spelling list. Words that neither occur among nor are derivable (by applying certain inflections, prefixes, and/or suffixes) from words in the spelling list are printed on the standard output. If no files are named, words are collected from the standard input. The command ignores most and eqn constructions. Options The command recognizes the following options: All words not literally in the spelling list are printed, and plausible derivations from the words in the spelling list are indicated. British spelling is checked. Besides preferring etc., this option insists upon in certain words, such as in Every plausible stem is printed with for each word. By default, follows chains of included files much like (see deroff(1)) which recognizes the intrinsics and the names of such included files begin with If the option is used, follows the chains of included files. With the option, ignores all chains of included files. If the option is used, words found in local_file are removed from output. local_file is the name of a user-provided file containing a sorted list of words, one per line. With this option, the user can specify a set of words that are correct spellings (in addition to spell's own spelling list) for each job. The spelling list is based on many sources, and while more haphazard than an ordinary dictionary, is also more effective with respect to proper names and popular technical words. Coverage of the specialized vocabularies of biology, medicine, and chemistry is light. Pertinent auxiliary files can be specified by name arguments, indicated below with their default settings (see FILES and VARIABLES). Copies of all output are accumulated in the history file. The stop list filters out misspellings (such as that would otherwise pass. Three routines help maintain and check the hash lists used by Reads a list of words from the standard input and writes the corresponding nine-digit hash code on the standard output. This program only accepts words that are up to 30 characters long. When words exceeding 30 characters are encountered, a diagnostic message is displayed on stan- dard error. Reads n hash codes from the standard input and writes a compressed spelling list on the standard output. Information about the hash coding is printed on standard error. Reads a compressed spelling_list and recreates the nine-digit hash codes for all the words in it; it writes these codes on the standard output. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables Your hashed spelling list (default is Spelling history (default is Your hashed stop list (default is Directory for temporary files; overrides the default EXAMPLES
To check spelling of a single word: If word is spelled correctly, a prompt is returned. If it is spelled incorrectly, word is printed before the prompt is returned. To check spelling of multiple words, they can also be typed as a group on the same command line: To create a personal spelling list that incorporates the words already present in the default American spelling list file To modify the default British spelling list file replace all occurrences of with in the above example. To add words to the default spelling list, change login to change the current working directory to and execute the commands listed in the above example. WARNINGS
The spelling list's coverage is uneven. When undertaking the use of as a new tool, it may be advisable to monitor the output for several months to gather local additions. Typically, these are kept in a separate local file that is added to the hashed spelling_list via as shown above. The British spelling feature was developed by an American. Start-up versions of files and are available in directory If these files or a suitable equivalent are not present in directory complains: The command is likely to be withdrawn from X/Open standards. Applications using this command might not be portable to other vendors' sys- tems. FILES
Hashed spelling lists, American and British. Hashed stop list. History file. Executable program file. SEE ALSO
deroff(1), sed(1), sort(1), tbl(1), tee(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
spell(1)