Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users A simple Samba problem, please help Post 33793 by norsk hedensk on Sunday 19th of January 2003 10:03:14 PM
Old 01-19-2003
i might be missing something else, but sometimes windows dosnt update the netbios names of other hosts on the network for a while. at one time i had my mailserver aliased as pop.farragutmarine and smtp.farragutmarine to make it simpler for my family to set up their email with their email client, they would always go, "wait, why the same name in BOTH fields?" so i just added that, but, i took it away and kept it as just farragutmarine, however, when i went into network neighborhood the smtp. and pop. stayed for a week after. try refreshing networkN when your looking at it, also right click on its icon and view the properties. this might be the cause of your problem, but i might also be missing something. as far as i know, to change the name that windows sees is the netbios name in smb.conf, so please post back, also check out the samba website, maybe they have more info about this. anyway, hope i helped!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem with samba

All, I am on Linux, Redhat 7.3 and I am mounting a samba filesystem from windows2k advance server via "mount -t smbfs //win2kserver/sharedir /mnt/fromwin2k". The mount was successfull, however when another user besides root tries to write to the a directory under the mounted filesystem, user get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tekion
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba problem

Hello everybody, i've some problem with my linux pc to configure samba service, i've a net with win2000 and DHCP server, my linux on the net had take automatically the ip, but when i open a smb.conf, i haven't find some info, pls help me... Tks BlueRose :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BlueRose
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

samba problem

Hi, I am using FC7 and i got a problem with access linux shared directory in windows. when i access linux system via IP, i can see folder but i cannot access them. it say "you donot have permission to access this folder please contact to administrator" and say same thing for all shared... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonirajesh
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

samba problem...

Hi all... I have a wired problem of a "swat" processes creating "lpstat -v" processes that are making my samba get stuck until i kill the "lpstat -v" procceses... why the "swat" is making these procceses? is there any way of fixing it? Thanx! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eliraza6
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba 3.0.24 Configuration Problem

Dear all, I have set the security level to user. My samba is running on Unixware 7.1.4. I get the following screen error when trying to login from windows clients.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ndege
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Strange problem with samba

Hi everyone I have a strange problem. Here is my setup: 1. I have a Fedora FTP server (where a 3rd party is uploading files). 2. I then open an ftp session (from a Solaris 10 server) to the FTP server and "get" all the files (place files in directory X). 3. I have a samba share set up... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with man of samba

People i installed samba on a x86 solaris 9 when a do man samba i see this lavirtuosa:/ # man samba Reformatting page. Please Wait... done Miscellanea SAMBA(7) Samba 3.4 Last change: 09/30/2009 1 lavirtuosa:/ # ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: enkei17
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

strange problem with samba

windowsxp:192.168.0.11 fedora14:192.168.0.12, running smb server I have disabled selinux. user list of fedora14: jone (wihch is created when install fedora14, with password 'jone') jone2 (which is added by hand, with password 'jone2') I added jone and jone2 as samba users using 'smbpasswd... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vistastar
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Two simple questions about Solaris DCHP and Samba

I have two simple questions First is :can dhcp server NATIVE of solaris perform dhcp updates of bind via dnssec like dchpd on linux? Second: Is possible to build a pdc with samba and iplanet ldap server?Or is better with openldap? I never found howto or discussions about iplanet server. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Samba Sharing Problem

I have 1 Server which was installed With centos 6.2 and there was a Samba Share the Directory /public was shared in the centos Server, its IP address is 192.168.1.15 , And I Have accessed the Share in Ubuntu 12.04 client machines by connect to server just giving IP address and share folder name ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
1 Replies
SMBSTATUS(1)							   User Commands						      SMBSTATUS(1)

NAME
smbstatus - report on current Samba connections SYNOPSIS
smbstatus [-P] [-b] [-d <debug level>] [-v] [-L] [-B] [-p] [-S] [-s <configuration file>] [-u <username>] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(7) suite. smbstatus is a very simple program to list the current Samba connections. OPTIONS
-P|--profile If samba has been compiled with the profiling option, print only the contents of the profiling shared memory area. -b|--brief gives brief output. -d|--debuglevel=level level is an integer from 0 to 10. The default value if this parameter is not specified is 0. The higher this value, the more detail will be logged to the log files about the activities of the server. At level 0, only critical errors and serious warnings will be logged. Level 1 is a reasonable level for day-to-day running - it generates a small amount of information about operations carried out. Levels above 1 will generate considerable amounts of log data, and should only be used when investigating a problem. Levels above 3 are designed for use only by developers and generate HUGE amounts of log data, most of which is extremely cryptic. Note that specifying this parameter here will override the smb.conf.5.html# parameter in the smb.conf file. -V|--version Prints the program version number. -s|--configfile <configuration file> The file specified contains the configuration details required by the server. The information in this file includes server-specific information such as what printcap file to use, as well as descriptions of all the services that the server is to provide. See smb.conf for more information. The default configuration file name is determined at compile time. -l|--log-basename=logdirectory Base directory name for log/debug files. The extension ".progname" will be appended (e.g. log.smbclient, log.smbd, etc...). The log file is never removed by the client. -v|--verbose gives verbose output. -L|--locks causes smbstatus to only list locks. -B|--byterange causes smbstatus to include byte range locks. -p|--processes print a list of smbd(8) processes and exit. Useful for scripting. -S|--shares causes smbstatus to only list shares. -h|--help Print a summary of command line options. -u|--user=<username> selects information relevant to username only. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8) and smb.conf(5). AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 SMBSTATUS(1)