Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DNS on Solaris 2.6
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers DNS on Solaris 2.6 Post 3344 by Optimus_P on Friday 29th of June 2001 09:47:16 AM
Old 06-29-2001
you want to add the nameservers in resolv.conf they are searched in the order in which they are in the file.

Code:
(hostname):/     cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 24.1.45.34
nameserver x.x.x.x
domain plstn.sfba.home.com

Code:
(hostname):/ # cat /etc/defaultrouter

Last edited by Optimus_P; 06-29-2001 at 10:50 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 5.8 DNS

Allright, Thanks to http://docs.sun.com I've got the tcp/ip portion of my box working now. I can see anything I want, as long as it's got a numerical address. Does anyone know how to add just a DNS entry? like reference my dns server, and configure my host name? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: veitcha
1 Replies

2. IP Networking

Solaris DHCP and DNS

I have managed to setup my Solaris box to receive an IP number from a DHCP server. In addition, I can ping and telnet between my dhcp server and my solaris box using the IP number. However, I can't resolve addresses by name from my solaris box. In my nsswitch.conf file I have: hosts: dns ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: marist89
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

DNS on Solaris 9

I installed bind 9 on Solaris 9 (intel) but don't know how to have the named service start on bootup. Is there a script hidden somewhere? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiddaniels
2 Replies

4. Solaris

DNS on Solaris 9

How do I set the Primary and secondary DNS name server for a Sparc IIi running Solaris 9. I have already put them in the resolv.conf file but they still do not work. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atreus
5 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

6. Solaris

DNS Services on Solaris

We need a DNS Server on DNS 10. What the best product can i buy and install ? Help me, pls. Tks all. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quan0509
1 Replies

7. Solaris

solaris - BIND / DNS

hi all forgive my ignorance, but when IVe set up DNS Ive put in the various server details in the /etc/resolv.conf and away I go. Suddenly Ive been reading about DNS, and I need to created a /etc/named.conf file. so, my question is this. DNS, what part does the /etc/resolv.conf play in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris dns

Hi all, I have configured dns on solaris 10 and it is working fine but i want to add some other domains in this dns like yahoo and gmail. but i have no idea how to do this. I have added zone entry in named.conf and created a seperate zone file under /var/named/db.gmail.com. but when i use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sikander
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris 10 - DNS / Issues / Help

Hi all Long time no speak, I hope you are all well. Im looking at a DNS issue here and reckon Igot a AD / DNS server issue elsewhere but need to rule out the configuration of my two server's first. IVe got the nameserver enteries in /etc/resolv.conf and dns in the /etc/nsswitch.conf ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to add new Solaris client IP into Solaris 10 DNS server?

Hi, We just built a new Solaris 10 zone. And would like to add it to our DNS server. Its also Solaris 10. Please let me know how can I get the IP resolved using this DNS server. I added entry into zone config file but not working. I did restarted the DNS services. And also added nameserver name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies
COMPAT_ULTRIX(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  COMPAT_ULTRIX(8)

NAME
compat_ultrix -- setup procedure for ULTRIX compatibility on MIPS and VAX architectures DESCRIPTION
NetBSD/mips and NetBSD/vax architectures can run Risc ULTRIX and VAX ULTRIX executables, respectively. However, you have to worry about the legal issues of ensuring that you have a right to use any ULTRIX binaries on your machine. Most executables will work. The exceptions include programs that use proprietary, ULTRIX-specific features (LAT, CI support, DECnet support) and various system calls, ioctl()'s, or ULTRIX kernel semantics that are difficult to emulate (e.g. ULTRIX packetfilter) or buggy (e.g. ULTRIX NIS). All ULTRIX executables are static, so no shared libraries are required for ULTRIX compatibility. However, ULTRIX is based on a 4.3BSD alpha release. ULTRIX commands and libraries are often much older than their NetBSD or even SunOS 4.x equivalents, and may require incompatible configuration files. SYSTEM CONFIGURATION FILES
Set up resolv.conf and svc.conf as below: # mkdir -p /emul/ultrix/etc # cd /emul/ultrix/etc # egrep 'domain|nameserver' /etc/resolv.conf > ./resolv.conf # cp -p /usr/share/examples/emul/ultrix/etc/* ./ /etc/resolv.conf The ULTRIX resolver library only understands domain and nameserver lines in resolv.conf(5). You should create a copy of /etc/resolv.conf containing only those commands and put it in /emul/ultrix/etc/resolv.conf. Note that the domain search order used by ULTRIX executables may not be the same as native binaries; there is no good way around this. /etc/svc.conf ULTRIX uses /etc/svc.conf to select an ordered search of NIS, Hesiod, or local flat-file mappings. You should create an /emul/ultrix/etc/svc.conf specifying either local files or bind (DNS) lookups for all ULTRIX name services. SEE ALSO
resolv.conf(5) BUGS
RISC ULTRIX NIS (YP) is known to not work. The ULTRIX NIS libraries have a consistent endian-ness bug. ULTRIX NIS client will not inter- operate with the NetBSD ypbind(8) process. The only workaround is to use /etc/svc.conf to disable NIS (YP). The ndbm hashed-password file used by ULTRIX are incompatible with the db hashed-password file used by NetBSD. There is no good solution for this. NIS would be a good one, if ULTRIX NIS worked. The API used by Xservers to talk to the kernel is currently compatible with ULTRIX 4.1. An implementation of the ULTRIX 4.2 Xws interface (used by X11R6) is in progress. A complete list of things which fail to work in ULTRIX compatibility mode should be added here. BSD
January 16, 1999 BSD