Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restoring a file from Tape
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restoring a file from Tape Post 3303 by jmcc01 on Thursday 28th of June 2001 01:15:17 PM
Old 06-28-2001
cpio

I would think that the command is basically the same, but on AIX the following should work;

cpio -iv "file.exttention" </dev/rmt0

the file should be restored to the current directory, if you want to create the original directory within the current directory change -iv for -idv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Problems restoring from tape in AIX

I am trying to restore some files from a DLT drive in AIX 4.3 but I am having a few problems. Basically when I try to run the restore command I get the following error: Cannot read from the specified input. Please enter the device name when ready I am the following command for the restore ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Hunter
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocksize problem restoring file from tape

I was recently given the responsibility of the unix box at our work. Without much training, I now have to go back and restore a file from tape. I'm having some trouble with it. I'm getting an error with the blocksize. The part of the script that does the tar looks like this: tar cvfX... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file

I'm new to Unix and have just wrote a little program to move files to a recycle bin (a Directory i created) and restore them. The problem is that i need to keep track of all the full filenames so that i can restore them to the right place. I did this by creating a file called delreg and putting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zoolz
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring tape files...

Hi all, I have kinda inherited this problem, but was wondering if anyone else had any ideas. Currently all our backup rentention periods are set to 2 weeks, so that we can cycle through tapes (save money etc...). Anyhow the guys next door in IT, decided one day long long ago, that it would... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: B14speedfreak
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Problem restoring files from remote tape drive

Server 1 - Sun Solaris 5.8 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-480R with attached DLT tape drive /dev/rmt/0n Server 2 - Old DG-UX box which has restore command on it compatible with the files on the backyup tape - backed up with dump2 Server 3 - Sun solaris 5.9 sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V490 with lots of free space... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindab
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Restoring dump from tape to SCSI disk

Hi Gurus, I need help. Mine is an Ultra 10 machine running on solaris 7. Problem with solaris 7 is, it can no longer recognize IDE disks greater that 10GB. My workaround is ro use an external SCSI disk since it is recognizable with solaris 7. I backup my filesystems (residing on the IDE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: domesat
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Information about taking dump of a unix server on a tape and then restoring

Hi all, Can anyone provide me with a site or book that gives detailed information about taking dump of a unix server on a tape and then restoring the server from the dump Also i want information about migration from old server to new server (solaris 5.6 to solaris 8) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring problem on tape!

hi all , a messages appeared to me when i was checking my /var/adm/messages and the below code was in it Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod scsi: /pci@3,700000/SUNW,emlxs@0/fp@0,0/st@w21000024ff305234,7 (st1): Oct 6 13:15:21 medprod Restoring tape position at fileno=320,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaan
5 Replies
cpio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   cpio(4)

NAME
cpio - Format of cpio archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure, when the -c option of cpio(1) is not used, is: struct { short h_magic, h_dev; ushort h_ino, h_mode, h_uid, h_gid; short h_nlink, h_rdev h_mtime[2], h_namesize, h_filesize[2]' char h_name[h_namesize rounded to word]; } Hdr; When the -c option is used, the header information is described by: sscanf(Chdr,"%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%6o%11lo%6o%11lo%s", &Hdr.h_magic, &Hdr.h_dev, &Hdr.h_ino, &Hdr.h_mode, &Hdr.h_uid, &Hdr.h_gid, &Hdr.h_nlink, &Hdr.h_rdev, &Longtime, &Hdr.h_namesize,&Longfile,Hdr.h_name); The Longtime and Longfile are equivalent to Hdr.h_mtime and Hdr.h_filesize, respec- tively. The contents of each file are recorded in an element of the array of varying length structures, archive, together with other items describing the file. Every instance of h_magic contains the constant 070707 (octal). The items h_dev through h_mtime have meanings explained in stat(2). The length of the null-terminated path name h_name, including the null byte, is given by h_namesize. The last record of the archive always contains the name TRAILER!!! Special files, directories, and the trailer are recorded with h_file- size equal to zero. RELATED INFORMATION
cpio(1), find(1), stat(2) delim off cpio(4)