Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reel to reel tape!!!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reel to reel tape!!!! Post 32668 by keelba on Tuesday 3rd of December 2002 01:50:29 PM
Old 12-03-2002
That certainly helped but now I have another problem. The data was extracted to one file. If I cat the file it looks something like this:
&M-^@^@M-^W^@^B&M-4^@1^@^@^@^@M-&M-^QM-$ M-^Q^A M-^Q^A{^@^@M-=M-2M-JSANTA MONICA
The data does not seem to be compressed because you can clearly make out certain words, however, I'm pretty sure that the file or files are all supposed to be just text. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might be able to extract this data?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

copy tape to tape using dd

I have two tape drives attached to my system , and i am trying to copy one tape to another using both tape drives and using the following command : dd if=/dev/rmt/1 of=/dev/rmt/2 but unfortunitly i am getting the following error : read: Not enough space 0+0 records in 0+0 records... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: itsgeorge
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. AIX

How to copy a tape into another tape ?

I am new to AIX. I want to make a duplicate tape. How can I do that ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anonno
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sony Reel to Reel TC 366 help

HI I am recording some live music on my Sony Reel to Reel TC 366 and keeping the needles below the red but when I play it back the needles are way over in the red producing distorted sound. There is no volume out button on this model, just RCA out to my amp. Could it be a internal electronics... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamt
0 Replies

6. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

7. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying tape-to-tape on UNIX

I am using a 4mm tape to backup my Unix system. However, I wanted to make a copy all of the files and archive headers (or just the archive headers if that's possible) created on one of my tapes to another 4mm tape. I only have one tape drive. Is there a command that will complete such task? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acoco
1 Replies

9. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies
dump(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   dump(8)

Name
       dump - create file system dump

Syntax
       /etc/dump [ key [ argument... ] filesystem ]

Description
       The command copies all files changed after a certain date from a specified filesystem to a file, a pipe, magnetic tapes, or disks.  The key
       specifies the date and other options to be used by

Dumping a filesystem requires operator attention.  An operator must intervene when the end of a tape or disk is reached, when  the  end	of
       the  occurs, or when an unrecoverable input disk read error occurs (if more than 32 read errors occur).	In addition to alerting all opera-
       tors in the operator group, interacts with the operator at the control terminal when can no longer proceed,  or	if  something  is  grossly
       wrong.  All questions that poses must be answered by typing yes or no.

Because	a  full  dump  uses considerable system time, checkpoints itself at the start of each tape or disk volume.  If writing that volume
       fails, asks the operator to restart from the checkpoint after the present tape or disk has been replaced.

The utility reports to the operator periodically, giving usually low estimates of the number of blocks to write, the  number  of  tapes	or
       disks the dump will take, the time to completion, and the time until the tape or disk must be changed.  The output is verbose, so that oth-
       ers know that the terminal controlling is busy, and will be for some time.

This utility supports EOT handling which allows the use of multiple media.  The utility prompts for the next volume when it encounters  the
       end of the current volume.

Options
       With the command, you specify a string of one or more of the options described below.  If no options are specified, the key 9u is assumed.

0-9     Specifies  the  dump  level.  All files that were modified since the last date stored in the file for the same filesystem at lesser
	       levels will be dumped.  If no date is determined by the level, the beginning of time is assumed.  Thus,	the  level  0  causes  the
	       entire filesystem to be dumped.

B       Indicates  that the next argument is a number that specifies the size, in 1024-byte blocks, of a storage medium, such as a diskette
	       or removable disk cartridge.  See the first example.

d       Indicates that the density of the tape, expressed in bits per inch, is taken from the next argument.  This density is used in  cal-
	       culating the amount of tape used per reel.  The default density is 1600 bpi.

f       Places  the  dump  on  the file or device specified by the next argument.  If the name of the file is -, writes to standard output.
	       The default dump device is

n       Notifies, by means similar to a command, all users in the group operator when needs operator attention.

S       Prints output file size in bytes, or number of volumes for devices.  See the third example.

s       Indicates that the next argument specifies the size of the dump tape, in feet.  When the specified size is reached, waits  for  the
	       reel to be changed.  The default tape size is 2300 feet.

u       Writes the date of the beginning of the dump on the file if the completes successfully.	This file records a separate date for each
	       filesystem and each dump level.	The format of consists of one free format record per line: filesystem name,  increment	level  and
	       format dump date.  The superuser can carefully edit to change any of the fields.

W       Tells the operator which file systems need to be dumped.  This information is taken from the files and The W option causes to print
	       out, for each file system in the most recent dump date and level, and highlights those file systems that should be dumped.  If  the
	       W option is used, all other options are ignored, and exits immediately.

w       Lists only those filesystems that need to be dumped.

Examples
       This example dumps the filesystem to RX50 diskettes.  The option is needed when running to read this dump.
       dump 9Bf 400 /dev/rra2a /dev/ra0a
       This example dumps the filesystem to a 6250 bpi tape on a TU78 tape drive:
       dump 0undf 6250 /dev/rmt?h /usr/users
       This example reports number of bytes to be output for a level 0 dump of the root file system.  Please note: the file test is not created.
       dump 0Sf test /

Restrictions
       The programs returns a 1 on successful completion.

Sizes are based on 1600-bpi blocked tape.

Anything fewer than 32 read errors on the filesystem are ignored.

Each reel requires a new process, so parent processes for reels already written remain until the entire tape is written.

Files
       Default filesystem to dump from

Default tape unit to dump to

Dump date record

Dump table: file systems and frequency

Operator group definition

Required for user interface

See Also
       dump(5), fstab(5), opser(8), restore(8), rrestore(8c)
       Guide to Backup and Restore

dump(8)