Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Paranoid about hackers
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Paranoid about hackers Post 32621 by skotapal on Monday 2nd of December 2002 04:10:42 PM
Old 12-02-2002
Network Paranoid about hackers

Hi all
I noted something strange on my server. The get mesages on my terminal even when I am not logged on. What does this mean? I don;t remember the excact message but it looked like messages from my /var/log/messages. "Can't locate mod probe!" or something like that. I am trying to get the exact messages form the log files but I don't know where to look for tty messages. I guessed it would be /var/log/messages but that did not seem to have the messages I saw.

Please advice!!

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hackers!!!!!

:o :oIve heard that there are some security issues with Unix/Linux.....im running SuSE 8.0 and i was wondering if anyone could help me out by hookin me up with some nice security programs or loopholes i can fix....thanx...p3ace:o :o And the sky opened...and it rained shit. - Anonymous (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: R34P3R
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

any hackers? i need someones help

to get into an telephone account online :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackie8
4 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

on how to protect your website against hackers

Hi! Looking for some feed back on this tutorial... Thank you for checking out this thread. I'm working on some killer videos right now that will explain in detail how you can protect your website against hackers. The first part of the video series is live right now and it covers Cross-Site... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arne1983
2 Replies
WHO(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    WHO(1)

NAME
who -- display who is on the system SYNOPSIS
who [-HmqsTu] [am I] [file] DESCRIPTION
The who utility displays information about currently logged in users. By default, this includes the login name, tty name, date and time of login and remote hostname if not local. The options are as follows: -H Write column headings above the output. -m Show information about the terminal attached to standard input only. -q ``Quick mode'': List the names and number of logged in users in columns. All other command line options are ignored. -s Show the name, line and time fields only. This is the default. -T Indicate whether each user is accepting messages. One of the following characters is written: + User is accepting messages. - User is not accepting messages. ? An error occurred. -u Show idle time for each user in hours and minutes as hh:mm, '.' if the user has been idle less that a minute, and ``old'' if the user has been idle more than 24 hours. am I Equivalent to -m. By default, who gathers information from the file /var/run/utmp. An alternate file may be specified which is usually /var/log/wtmp (or /var/log/wtmp.[0-6] depending on site policy as wtmp can grow quite large and daily versions may or may not be kept around after compression by ac(8)). The wtmp file contains a record of every login, logout, crash, shutdown and date change since wtmp was last truncated or created. If /var/log/wtmp is being used as the file, the user name may be empty or one of the special characters '|', '}' and '~'. Logouts produce an output line without any user name. For more information on the special characters, see utmp(5). ENVIRONMENT
The COLUMNS, LANG, LC_ALL and LC_TIME environment variables affect the execution of who as described in environ(7). FILES
/var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp /var/log/wtmp.[0-6] DIAGNOSTICS
The who utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
last(1), users(1), w(1), utmp(5) STANDARDS
The who utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A who command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 8, 2002 BSD