Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers The trouble with FIND ....... Post 3242 by chorse on Wednesday 27th of June 2001 12:29:42 PM
Old 06-27-2001
The trouble with FIND .......

Afternoon,

I have a problem with the FIND and GREP commands working together.

The command that I am typing is this:-

find . -name *.sql -print --- This finds all files with an SQL suffix

I then want to examine all those files to check for the existence of a string in them.

I am attempting to find "ORACLE" in the matching files by typing this:-

find . -name *.sql -print -exec grep "ORACLE" *

This is obviously not correct. What should it be?

Cheers

Jason

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NIS trouble

:eek: hi all, I have a NIS trouble on a server. when I create a file on a server (server1), the group of this file is the number of the group and not its name. when I create a file with this group on another server which depends of another NIS slave, the file is created with the group name.... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: farzolito
10 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

trouble

Hello, The system reboots in single user mode what command to use to bring the system up regularly?? I get INIT: cannot create /var/adm/utmpx Type control -d to proceede with a normal startup or give root passwd for system maintaince. either way i don't have a change and ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: awk
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

The trouble with...

Welcome to "The trouble with...." with your host, ZazzyBob. Todays offering - "The trouble with letting other people host your website" I use a certain web hosting service, who shall of course remain nameless here. They are running PHP 4.3.10 I decide to write a script to test their PHP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zazzybob
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

The trouble about SU ...

Hi all, having read lots of posts about SU I don't quiet understand this : I'm doing regular backups of my database (u betta do) and therefore use su - username -c "sqlscript special data_base" in a unixscript which is even using cron. (yep!) Now I need some other script, still with this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nulnul7
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Trouble with tr

I'm not sure where to post this but it's happening on a SunOS 5.8 server so I'll try here. I've discovered some unexpected behavior when using tr. For example: echo a | tr Z echo b | tr a echo a | tr B echo a | tr B echo a | tr A (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike@Work
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

X trouble

Hi there, I'm new to unix-environments. I'm richard, and i'm mostly a web-developer, under php. I've done work in unix env before, but never had my own. Today, I've got debian 3.1 r4 from the official site, and i've attempted to install it twice. I installed it initially as "Desktop... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: izua
0 Replies

7. AIX

Trouble in chown

I'm a owner of directories or files why I can't deliver the ownership of them up to other users? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kang
1 Replies

8. Programming

Trouble with C

Hey, i am having a problem First, i know java well and i have used C++ on occasion so i thought i would be able to deal with a class where they program in C. unfortunately i have hit some speed bumps that i am having problems. Here is my problem: I have a structure cache_t in the sample... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zephoid
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and copy script trouble

Hi guys First thing to say is that I am entirely new to Shell Scripting and am trying to write a script to do something I thought would be relatively simple, but has escaped me. Essentially, I want to take file name information from a list, find the files listed and then copy the results into... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheron
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having trouble with find rename jpg command

Hi, I have a large series of directories and subdirectories with many jpgs in them. I need to do two things: 1. Create a copy of each jpg found within it's own subdirectory 2. Rename this copied jpg such that apple.jpg becomes apple_m.jpg I have tried to run the following commands in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharvan13
1 Replies
HAL-FIND-BY-PROPERTY(1)                                       General Commands Manual                                      HAL-FIND-BY-PROPERTY(1)

NAME
hal-find-by-property - find device objects by property matching SYNOPSIS
hal-find-by-property [options] DESCRIPTION
hal-get-property finds device object in the HAL device database by looking at device properties. For more information about both the big picture and specific HAL properties, refer to the HAL spec which can be found in /usr/share/doc/hal-doc/spec/hal-spec.html depending on the distribution. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --key The name of the property. --string String value of the property --verbose Verbose output. --help Print out usage. --version Print the version. RETURN VALUE
If devices matching the given property are found each UDI (Unique Device Identifier) is printed on stdout and the program exits with exit code 0. If no devices are found or an error occured, the program exits with a non-zero exit code. BUGS
Please send bug reports to either the distribution or the HAL mailing list, see http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/hal on how to subscribe. SEE ALSO
hald(8), lshal(1), hal-set-property(1), hal-get-property(1), hal-find-by-capability(1), dbus-send(1) AUTHOR
Written by David Zeuthen <david@fubar.dk> with a lot of help from many others. HAL-FIND-BY-PROPERTY(1)