Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar archives
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar archives Post 3241 by sam_pointer on Wednesday 27th of June 2001 12:25:27 PM
Old 06-27-2001
Java tar archives

I have a tar archive which I believe may be corrupted, produced on an HP-UX 10.x box and written to a 4mm DDS-3 tape.

I understand that gnu tar has a -W (--verify) option which will attempt to verify the archive after it has been created. Am I right in saying that this option cannot be used to verify an existing archive?

Secondly, the native shipped HP tar does not include this verify option at all. Does there exist a program for verifying the integrity of tar files (written to a tape), either whilst creating the tar file or after the event?

As a foot note I must point out that this archive has never been gzip'ed.

Thanks for any input...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

segmenting tar archives

assuming i need to create a tar archive which would turn out to be bigger than 2gb, how could i segment the archive into say, 1 gb parts? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crudealien
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

flash archives

HI, are you supposed to run flarcreate in multi user mode? or should you do it in single user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Archives

I have a few small files that I need to put into a shar file called endshar. It'd be nice to get a little help in getting this to work, I can't really find any documentation on the internet and the bits I can find aren't really helpful. Any help would be great. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Visage
1 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Decompressing Tar Archives (Finally!)

If you've come across this problem with unzipping/decompressing zips, you might find this helpful: I was having a little trouble with unzipping (decompressing) tarred archives under OS 10.5 until today. My first attempt was to just simply double-click on the zip file (i.e., example.tar.gz) and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unimachead
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create unique tar archives from a list of directories

I'm looking to archive a client directory from a CIFS share There are multiple directories that will be stored in a text file and I'm looking to create an individual tar archive of each folder in the directory. I've tried a number of commands to no avail. Here's what I would like. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steelysteel
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Multi-Volume tar archives. [solved]

Hi, The only off-line storage medium I have is DVD. I am trying to back up around 10G of data and if I can achieve a practical solution I will use it more generally. I am currently considering something along the lines of: tar --create --multi-volume --tape-length=nnnn <pathspec> |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MikeGM
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archives monthly

Hi, I want to archive files by month, is there anyway of this code looks better? find /tmp/w/ -type f -newermt '2014-01-01' ! -newermt '2014-02-01' | xargs tar -czvf files01.tar find /tmp/w/ -type f -newermt '2014-02-01' ! -newermt '2014-03-01' | xargs tar -czvf files02.tar find... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
9 Replies
BF_TAR(1)																 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. 07/23/2007 BF_TAR(1)