Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users What can be done with core files??? Post 32075 by LivinFree on Monday 18th of November 2002 04:16:12 PM
Old 11-18-2002
If you want to know what program created them, type "file core" - this will work with at least the Redhat system...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

core files

ok heres a question, :confused: well obviously i have here my old old motorola system V/88 in my /usr/adm folder i have a file called kernelcore which is 16mb (the computer has 16mb ram too), we believe this is the contents of our ram when the system crashed back in feb last year! Is it save... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vodor
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

system log files and core files?

Solaris v5.6 What log files should be checked out as part of your sys admin daily routine? I've printed out my syslog.conf file, and looked in /var/log and found authlog, syslog, and POPlog. I know of /var/adm/messages. What others should I be looking for? I know of the "find" command. I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Westy564
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

evaluating core files

Does anyone know any tools or how to really get something out of a core file. I can use strings and look for certain things like out of memory. I am trying to use adb but I can't make heads or tails from it. I guess it is my lack of know how with the adb/mdb debugger. anything would... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm core files and pattern matching

Hi, I am trying to delete a load of core files, but make sure I only delete core files. The system I am using has many files with core in the name, so I obviously can not simply search for "core". I have tried using the 'find' command with pattern matching via , and know that his is the way... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: littleIdiot
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

hp ux core files

what are core files?? Can I safely delete them??? Please, help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cleaning core files

Hello *! Just a short question. Where on the system i can find core files. I have one SUN server (Solaris 8) and from time to time I must clean core files on it. But i am not sure where i can find those files. Thank you in advance. :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghost01
5 Replies

7. Solaris

core files not getting generated

Hi, We have an application ASPA . The application related processes are running in /ASPA/bin directory . now whenever a process terminates abruptly , a core file should be generated (correct me if i am wrong) in the /ASPA/bin directory . But i am not able to see any such files . The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asalman.qazi
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know where the core files come from?

Hi, I am trying to use "find / -name core -print | xargs rm -f " ,but it would delete all core files including some core files we do not want to delete. I search privious posts,someone said "To check what a core file came from - use the file command" I used man page to search file command,but... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lemon_06
9 Replies

9. HP-UX

Read core files

In sun solaris whenever a jvm crashes we used to get the core file generated in binary format. We convert this core file to human readable format using pstack corefile >> log How can we convert the core file generated in HPUX to human readable format ? We dont have pstack either. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Should i delete core files ?

Good morning, i need your help please By searching some of the largest files i found some core files that take up much space This is the command: find ./ -type f -name core -exec file {} \; Output: ./xptol/tel/tasacion/CIERR/exe/core: ELF 64-bit MSB core file SPARCV9 Version 1, from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
2 Replies
gcore(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          gcore(1)

NAME
gcore - get core images of running processes SYNOPSIS
gcore [-pgF] [-o filename] [-c content] process-id... DESCRIPTION
The gcore utility creates a core image of each specified process. By default, the name of the core image file for the process whose process ID is process-id will be core.process-id. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c content Produces core image files with the specified content. The content description uses the same tokens as in coreadm(1M). The -c option does not apply to cores produced due to the -p or -g flags. -F Force. Grabs the target process even if another process has control. -g Produces core image files in the global core file repository with the global content as configured by coreadm(1M). The com- mand will fail if the user does not have permissions to the global core file repository. -o filename Substitutes filename in place of core as the first part of the name of the core image files. filename can contain the same tokens to be expanded as the paths in coreadm(1M). -p Produces a core image file in the process-specific location with the process-specific content for each process as config- ured by coreadm(1M). The command will fail if the user does not have permissions to the per-process core file repository. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: process-id process ID EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 On success. non-zero On failure, such as non-existent process ID. FILES
core.process-id core images ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWtoo | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below. | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ Command Syntax is Evolving. Output Format(s) are Unstable. SEE ALSO
kill(1), coreadm(1M), setrlimit(2), core(4), proc(4), attributes(5) NOTES
gcore is unaffected by the setrlimit(2) system call using the RLIMIT_CORE value. SunOS 5.10 11 Feb 2004 gcore(1)