Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: controlling terminal
Top Forums Programming controlling terminal Post 31994 by Vishnu on Saturday 16th of November 2002 05:13:37 AM
Old 11-16-2002
A daemon may or may not be associated to a terminal - by association we mean being able to writes its stderr and stdout to the terminal... on unix systems normally long running jobs, routine jobs and many administrative tasks are either daemons themselves or started by daemons... for example when you log on to a unix system thru telnet server on your machine, the telnetd daemon which continuously tiks on the host unix system takes your request and calls the init-getty-login-shell sequence... for example your shell is a daemon that can write its stderr and stdout to the terminal.. if you type a wrong command you can see the shell daemon write an error message...

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
Vishnu.

Last edited by Vishnu; 11-16-2002 at 06:35 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connecting to unix through hyper terminal - as a dumb terminal

I just changed from windows NT to XP and I am no longer able to connect to my unix system. I used to use hyper terminal -- which acts as dumb terminal to my main frame unix system. I think one of the options used to be "direct to comX". This option isn't listed now. I use a serial port and the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: michelle
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Controlling logfiles

I support an app that outputs alert and audit messages to one log file (vendor says they can't be separated). The script that I have written takes a copy (mv cmd) of the file to do the separation and reformatting. I have a problem that I loose records (messages are being written constantly, upto 3+... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nhatch
5 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Controlling I/O

Hi guys, Can anyone please tell me how I can control the I/O on my hardware devices in Suse Linux 8.1. I find that everytime I am reading a CD, or copying from a CD, I am unable to listen to music of watch a movie. Maybe this is intended to be like so, for the current high street technolgy... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bionicfysh
1 Replies

4. Programming

Controlling child processes

Hello all, I am trying to create n child processes and control them from a parent process; say make child 3 print its pid and then child 5 do the same and some other stuff. Is there a way to accomplishing this after all the child processes are created via a call to fork(). Thank you, FG (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumGuy
23 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps: no controlling terminal

Any one know the below means : ps: no controlling terminal I had run a script in background : nohup ./benchmark.sh & and shutdown my windows system from where i connected through SSH I am using bash: The above script perfoms various tasks of Benchmarking Repositories Today the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh script as a login shell return "no controlling terminal"

I have created a ksh shell script and used it as a login shell for a user. </etc/passwd> lramirev:x:111:200:Luis:/export/home/menush:/usr/local/menush/menush My shell script is like this: </usr/local/menush/menush> #!/bin/ksh # if ] then . $HOME/.profile fi ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramirev
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A terminal controlling a terminal...

Hi all... Consider me a dummy here... I do not want any code or for anyone to show me how to do it at this time, but here is the question:- I have had this brainstorm to be able to control the AudioScope.sh program in the "Shell Scripting And Programming" forum... Is it possible, by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

"rhgb quiet" controlling the display of commands in single user mode ?"rhgb quiet" controlling the d

Why does removing "rhgb quiet" from the kernel boot parameters control whether or not the commands I enter are displayed in single user mode ? For instance, if I do not remove "rhgb quiet", when I am in single user mode, whatever command I type will not be displayed on the screen. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get terminal application to launch with a graphical launcher when successful in terminal

I have been having an extremely annoying problem. For the record, I am relatively new at this. I've only been working with unix-based OS's for roughly two years, mostly Xubuntu and some Kali. I am pretty familiar with the BASH language, as that's the default shell for debian. Now, I've made this... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Terminal Output Exactly how it Appears in the Terminal to a New Text File

Hello All, I have a text file containing output from a command that contains lots of escape/control characters that when viewed using vi or view, looks like jibberish. But when viewed using the cat command the output is formatted properly. Is there any way to take the output from the cat... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
7 Replies
rlogind(8c)															       rlogind(8c)

Name
       rlogind - remote login server

Syntax
       /etc/rlogind

Description
       The server is used for the program.  The server provides a remote login facility with authentication based on privileged port numbers.

The  server is invoked by when it receives a connection on the port indicated in the login service specification.  For further information,
       see When a service request is received, the following protocol is initiated:

1.  The server checks the client's source port.	If the port is not in the range 0-1023, the server aborts the connection.

2.  The server checks the client's source address and requests the corresponding host name.  If the hostname cannot be determined, the dot-
	   notation representation of the host address is used.

Once  the source port and address have been checked, allocates a pseudo terminal and manipulates file descriptors so that the slave half of
       the pseudo terminal becomes the stdin, stdout, and stderr for a login process.  For further information, see

The login process is an instance of the program, invoked with the option.  The login process then proceeds with the authentication  process
       as described in but if automatic authentication fails, it reprompts the user to log in on a standard terminal line.

The  parent of the login process manipulates the master side of the pseudo terminal, operating as an intermediary between the login process
       and the client instance of the program.	In normal operation, the packet protocol described in is invoked to provide ^S/^Q type	facilities
       and propagate interrupt signals to the remote programs.	The login process propagates the client terminal's baud rate and terminal type, as
       found in the environment variable, TERM.  For further information see

The screen or window size of the terminal is requested from the client, and any changes in the window size from the client are sent to  the
       pseudo terminal.

Restrictions
       The authentication procedure used here assumes the integrity of each client machine and the connecting medium.  This is insecure, but it is
       useful in an open environment.

Diagnostics
       All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection associated with the stderr, after which any  network  connections  are  closed.	An
       error is indicated by a leading byte with a value of 1.

Hostname for your address unknown
       No entry in the host name database existed for the client's machine.

Try again
       A fork by the server failed.

/bin/sh: ...
       The user's login shell could not be started.

See Also
       rlogin(1c), inetd(8c)

rlogind(8c)