Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers understanding logical partition, physical partition Post 31936 by Ralf on Friday 15th of November 2002 05:47:55 AM
Old 11-15-2002
I would assume that a physical partition is like a primary partition (which you are very limited on the number you can have) and a logical partition is a partition within an extended partition. Although you may only have one extended partition it can contain many logical partitions...

clear as mud ? Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vol group - physical partition size

Hi Everyone, Can someone tell me the effect of the pp size of the volume group created for Oracle data. It would seem that creating small pp's will cause more overhead. What if you make the pp to large? What should I base this size on? Thanks, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kburrows
4 Replies

2. AIX

Increase a logical partition

hello I have a volume group of 737 Go (EMC) To add 250 Go, i split the 250 Go to 2*125 No problem to add in the volum group, but when i want to increase the size of the logical volume, i have the message : 0516-787 extendlv: Maximum allocation for logical volume simdatabaselv is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in creating logical partition

Dear Members, I am using SCO-Unix 5.0.5. I have created 2 logical drives but some of the blocks are overlapped and are now giving warning during startup. I have used fsck to settle the problems but to no avail. Kindly help me to sort out the problem. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendrajaiswal
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to match a logical partition to a file

I would like to know how to identify which file a logical partition relates too. Operating System = AIX oslevel -s = 5300-04-CSP I've identified a logical volume that continually runs at 100% tm_acct from iostat. I've run lvmstat -l and identified the logical partition 590, being the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garry
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Using / Formating a Logical Partition as I cant see it

Hi All, I have managed to install and configure a Solaris x86 server, the problem I have now is that whilst setting it up, I left a 30GB logical partition for the Oracle database server that I will later have on the system, the problem now is that I have not formatted the drive during... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: platforminc
18 Replies

7. AIX

changing Physical Partition (PP)

Hi all, I am trying to replace an old 9gb hard disk for a 36gb hard drive on an AIX 4.3.2 system (can't update) I was thinking of doing this by doing a dd from the 9gb to the 36gb hard drive and then resize the Logical Volumes. However, lspv <36gb hard disk> gives me the folowing: #lrnt>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: eRJe
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
REPARTITION(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    REPARTITION(8)

NAME
repartition - load a partition table SYNOPSIS
repartition device [partition-file] DESCRIPTION
Repartition uploads a new partition table for the partitions of device. The table is obtained from the first sector of partition-file if given, device otherwise. Device may refer to the whole drive or a primary partition, depending on whether you want to upload a partition or a subpartition table. The partitions will be truncated to fit within the enclosing device like the disk driver does, unless the numbers are coming from partition-file. EXAMPLES
repartition /dev/hd0 repartition /dev/hd4 /etc/hd4.table Reload the partition table of drive 0 setting /dev/hd[1-4], and the subpartition table of /dev/hd4 setting /dev/hd4[a-d] using a file. The latter may be useful if you need more than the 4 subpartitions a single Minix partition gives you. DIAGNOSTICS
The new table is printed on standard output. FILES
/dev/hd[0-9] SEE ALSO
hd(4), part(8). BUGS
The disk must be in use for the changes to stick. The partition table of an idle disk will be reloaded on the first open. AUTHOR
Kees J. Bot (kjb@cs.vu.nl) REPARTITION(8)