Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: zombie program
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers zombie program Post 31861 by BSeanD on Thursday 14th of November 2002 05:17:32 AM
Old 11-14-2002
Quote:
FWIW: On many UNIX and Linux systems zombies will not go away with a kill signal (or even kill -9) and the only way to clear them off the process table is to reboot.
I've seen them clear themselves, that is they disappear from "top". Does that mean that the parent has started up again and started the zombie child up?
I've seen this on our works FreeBSD webserver.

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Zombie Files on a HP-UX

How can you find a zombie file on the system. I have been in the database side of the system to search for Orphan files removed the orphan files, but still got the zombie file. When you run a top command it says there is a zombie process that is running i would like to find it. How can i do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JackieRyan26
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zombie process

How do i kill a zombie process. Is it that only root can kill a zombie process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: orca
8 Replies

3. Programming

zombie to exist after the termination of main program..

main() { pid_t child; child=fork(); if(child > 0) {sleep(60); } else {exit(0); } } the above code will create zombie process,which will be adopted by init as soon as parent process will dies.Can any one gimme a code or an alogrithm to keep this zombie proocess alive even after... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anilchowdhury
6 Replies

4. Linux

zombie process

Hi What is the command to find only the zombie processes?? How to write the code in C to fetch the no. of zombie processes?? Thanx (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeenat
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zombie process

Hi I need help because I don't know if it is possible to add a find inside a cat. like I have a file with the pid of the process that use to became zombie. And I have the same pid stored in the var (pid1) now, I have no clue how to check if the the find finds the pid or even if it's... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruben.rodrigues
2 Replies

6. AIX

zombie process

Is there an equivilant to the preap command in AIX that would allow me to get rid of a zombie process. I am new to AIX, moving over from Solaris and in the past I have been able to preap the pid on the defunct process to clean them up. I have looked around and the best I can see is that it may... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sboots
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is zombie , how to kill it ,

Hello I try to googled it , but I dint get sufficient answer :( .. When I can see zombie running on server do they consume system resources or not ? I have read that is not good to kill them with signal 9 cause it might cause more troubles .. why is kill -9 so harmfull? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kvok
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Zombie process

What is the overhead associated with zombie process?Is it running out of process-ID?:confused: Since some information is stored in process table.. Thanks in Advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jois
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

zombie

Hi, Linux redhat 5.5 top shows that i have 20 zombie process : Tasks: 357 total, 1 running, 336 sleeping, 0 stopped, 20 zombie Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st Mem: 24949400k total, 2363052k used, 22586348k free, 227084k buffers... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
1 Replies

10. Programming

Zombie in C

hello all, when we are creating a process by using fork, if the child process terminates before parent, the child process exists as zombie.. My doubt is when that child process terminates, how come that process exists further and show as a zombie process..can anyone help me to clear about this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aarathy
1 Replies
TAPSET::KPROCESS(3stap) 												   TAPSET::KPROCESS(3stap)

NAME
tapset::kprocess - systemtap kernel process probe points DESCRIPTION
This family of probe points is used to probe the kernel's process activities. It contains the following probe points: kprocess.create Fires whenever a new process is successfully created, either as a result of one of the fork syscall variants, or a new kernel thread. Arguments: task a handle to the newly created process new_pid pid of the newly created process kprocess.start Fires immediately before a new process begins execution. Arguments: N/A kprocess.exec Fires whenever a process attempts to exec to a new program Arguments: filename the path to the new executable kprocess.exec_complete Fires at the completion of an exec call Arguments: errno the error number resulting from the exec success a boolean indicating whether the exec was successful kprocess.exit Fires when a process terminates. This will always be followed by a kprocess.release, though the latter may be delayed if the process waits in a zombie state. Arguments: code the exit code of the process kprocess.release Fires when a process is released from the kernel. This always follows a kprocess.exit, though it may be delayed somewhat if the process waits in a zombie state. Arguments: task a task handle to the process being released pid pid of the process being released SEE ALSO
stap(1), stapprobes(3stap) Intel, IBM TAPSET::KPROCESS(3stap)